Best class general class to power level and use to carry through difficult battles?

Which class should I focus on buffing up first?  My gut says Dark Knight or Armored knight because the extra reach with pole arms are very nice.  Anyone have any input, just playing for fun but if I can get to a good place with my line up I'd like to continue and finish the Platinum maybe.

Side question:  How often should I be reincarnating?  Like at what level would be best?

• 1 month later...

I would definitely recommend using a sage as your main damage dealer, you will want to max out all classes on the sage before you start to reincarnate and always make sure you hit max level (9999) before reincarnating. The stat boosts you gain from reincarnation are based on maxing out your classes 

• 5 weeks later...

Late to the response, but in case someone else has the same question.

You can literally stomp most of the game with any character. Story character or not. Though if you are looking to create a super team, sort of speak for late post game, you can't go wrong with a Magic Knight (great single target dps), Armour Knight (tank), Killia(solid all around) and either a Sage or if you have the dlc character, Metallia (Strong with all the spells).

Usually people will suggest focusing on the Sage first, as its very useful for its map wide AOE (Land Decimator). Which can be used for coasting through item world, mass capturing or mass exp later. Though definitely not required. I personally went hard on Killia first, as he is great with a sword for clearing the martial training.