Shadowgate 1.03 update just released (now 1.04 update July 3 2020), Platinum/trophies now 100% working

drlight66

9 hours ago, Ranari_Kai said:

After another playtrough with the new patch I am down to 1 trophy left. 
so the bugs are now fixed. It is now just a matter of time finding what I am missing.

Excellent!  I saw that you got the "discover all hidden deaths" trophy yesterday, and now today the "examine 600 different items" trophy.  Out of curiosity how many more items do you think were available that you could've examined after the 600 items trophy popped?  Also did it pop during the game or after you beat the game?

All you have left is to solve 62 major puzzles.  I don't remember exactly how many rooms are in the game but I know that it's around 70 or so.  So if you do at least one puzzle per room, the trophy should pop, although what is considered a "major puzzle" can be a bit vague.  You'll want to play on Master difficulty though since it has extra puzzles not found in the easier difficulties.  Also don't forget the optional sidequests such as the pumpkin quest!

And something I'm wondering is if the 600 different items or 62 major puzzles trophies, if they all have to be done during a single playthrough or if the game keeps track of everything for each playthrough you do.  So you can play on Apprentice, then play on Master and it'll keep track of everything for your overall save profile.

Also looks like both the NA and EU region versions of the game are now the same exact size.  I don't know what the heck happened with the 1.03 patch but something definitely went wrong with it.  They fixed the goblin room ale mug but somehow overwrote the fixes from the 1.02 patch lol.  I'm assuming they used the wrong build of the game and maybe used 1.01 instead of 1.02.

Anyway, I'll let Dave Marsh of Zojoi know that things are looking good!

Regarding the Master Scholar trophy, here's what is written on the Steam guide:

This achievement is awarded for solving 62 major puzzles in the game. Master mode.
also: Journeyman Scholar (50 major puzzles)
and Novice Scholar (40 major puzzles).

I got this achievement, but it is the only one that its specifics utterly elude me. I guess that every composite action that you take counts towards this achievement. For example: using the glyph skulls to power the castle, using the gear mechanism, using various spells, killing goblins, catching Elementals, cleaning the castle, burning torches and so forth.

I got the Journeyman Scholar easily, while playing the game normally and by following the necessary steps towards the finale. The Master Scholar popped after I competed some extra objectives, which aren't essential for the completion of the game, such as creating all the different recipes in the lab, solving all the Djinn riddles, and getting the black axe.

(Credit to Mtext for the clarification) "Note that "use self on lever" to open the drawbridge (which counts) is apparently different from "hit lever", which DOESN'T count to trigger it. Fortunately you can go raise the drawbridge and re-lower it properly."

Bumping just in case my previous note was read without the additional notes i added.

Edited by drlight66

About the 600 items: that took nearly a whole playthrough. I looked at everything. The enviroment, my items, spells, equipment. Whenever something changed, I looked at it again. And still, the trophy only popped shortly before the end.

Also, I know for sure, that trophy requirements can work across multiple savestates. See the librarian- trophy: reading all books, requires all books on hard mode, as well as some books on easy-mode, which are part of a bookcase puzzle on master and cant be read there. Found that hint somewhere in a steam forum.

The trophy for 62 puzzles still eludes me. I did all puzzles and requirements for trophies I could think of. The only things I am missing are: reading all books and burning everything. Because I lost my savestate from last year I have to do that again.

9 hours ago, Ranari_Kai said:

About the 600 items: that took nearly a whole playthrough. I looked at everything. The enviroment, my items, spells, equipment. Whenever something changed, I looked at it again. And still, the trophy only popped shortly before the end.

Also, I know for sure, that trophy requirements can work across multiple savestates. See the librarian- trophy: reading all books, requires all books on hard mode, as well as some books on easy-mode, which are part of a bookcase puzzle on master and cant be read there. Found that hint somewhere in a steam forum.

The trophy for 62 puzzles still eludes me. I did all puzzles and requirements for trophies I could think of. The only things I am missing are: reading all books and burning everything. Because I lost my savestate from last year I have to do that again.

Yeah, that 62 puzzles Master Scholar trophy was always going to be the toughest trophy for anyone to get, just because there's probably only 60-something major puzzles in the game to solve (could be more, I'm just estimating).  

But at least now everything is working correctly as intended and all bugs and glitches are fixed.  That sucks about your savestate, but at least you got the rest of the trophies taken care of and out of the way.  Now you basically just need a near perfect playthrough on Master difficulty (easier said than done!) lol and you should get that Master Scholar trophy along with the Platinum.

Since you have to start over with a new save file, for the "find all hidden special deaths" trophy did you have to trigger them all over again or did the trophy finally pop when you drank yourself to death from the goblin brew?

I just finished a multi-hour marathon session of Shadowgate ?

I've played the game three times today: Once in Master-Mode. There I tried to do pretty much everything. Also two fast playtroughs on Apprentice and Journeyman. I thought, that maybe the slightly different puzzles on each difficulty count for the Master Scholar trophy.

But the damned trophy did not pop.?

There are only two trophies whose requirements I did not fulfill:

• Finish the game on Ironman Mode
  • Experience every possible death

But I don't think that those trophies are actually counting for Master Scholar. There is something I am missing. Some Item I did not used or whatever.

Right now I am done with this game. I spend too much time for the game and I can't stand it anymore. I've deinstalled it and I won't touch it anymore. Only if I get an idea what I might miss. Seriously, I'd rather grind some 100 hour JRPG, than playing Shadowgate anymore. Not that I dislike it, its just too much. I don't care about the platinum anymore.

@drlight66 I hope you have more luck with the game ;)

8 minutes ago, Ranari_Kai said:

I just finished a multi-hour marathon session of Shadowgate 1f629.png

I've played the game three times today: Once in Master-Mode. There I tried to do pretty much everything. Also two fast playtroughs on Apprentice and Journeyman. I thought, that maybe the slightly different puzzles on each difficulty count for the Master Scholar trophy.

But the damned trophy did not pop.1f62d.png

There are only two trophies whose requirements I did not fulfill:

• Finish the game on Ironman Mode
  • Experience every possible death

But I don't think that those trophies are actually counting for Master Scholar. There is something I am missing. Some Item I did not used or whatever.

Right now I am done with this game. I spend too much time for the game and I can't stand it anymore. I've deinstalled it and I won't touch it anymore. Only if I get an idea what I might miss. Seriously, I'd rather grind some 100 hour JRPG, than playing Shadowgate anymore. Not that I dislike it, its just too much. I don't care about the platinum anymore.

@drlight66 I hope you have more luck with the game ;)

I haven't played the PC version in ages so I'll give it a shot lol.  I believe it's called Master Scholar because it requires a Master difficulty playthrough where you have to pretty much do every possible non-death thing there is to do in the game.  Did you even do things such as use the goblin ale to create the deadly drink, create every single thing possible in the lab, kill every goblin, do the pumpkin quest and behemoth quest, burn everything, etc. etc?

Hmm, I did all the things you listed, but I did not do all of them in one playtrough. Killing all goblins and the master pumpkin quest have been done in a different playtrough. Not sure if that counts.

Most likely I missed something which could be burned, read or eaten.

PS: Say, what is the behemoth quest? Do you mean the final boss?

On 7/7/2020 at 1:58 PM, Ranari_Kai said:

Hmm, I did all the things you listed, but I did not do all of them in one playtrough. Killing all goblins and the master pumpkin quest have been done in a different playtrough. Not sure if that counts.

Most likely I missed something which could be burned, read or eaten.

PS: Say, what is the behemoth quest? Do you mean the final boss?

Oh, I just meant doing everything in the catacombs (the catacombs section was an initial kickstarter stretch goal meant to expand on the behemoth lore which was just short of being met but they added the extra content in anyway lol).  You dipped the hammer in the lava and all of that?

For the master scholar trophy (62 major puzzles), you MAJOR EDIT Accumulation trophies can be done across multiple playthroughs and save files.  For example you don't need to get 25 unique deaths for that trophy, you can find different ways to die across multiple saves and multiple playthroughs and the game file system keeps track of everything you've accomplished during all of your different plays.

Edited by drlight66
To avoid major confusion because i was originally totally wrong

2 hours ago, Ranari_Kai said:

Yeah, sounds really fun. I might try it again someday. 

I just started playing Elliot Quest on PS4 (GREAT Zelda II: The Adventure of Link style game, has tons of Zelda references).  That'll probably take me a few weeks at minimum to Platinum and do everything in. 

Once i get done with that though I'll start playing Shadowgate on PS4 and keep this thread updated on my progress lol.  It'll be ironic if I get the Master Scholar trophy earlier than most of the other trophies, that's not gonna happen but i'll laugh if it does.

17 hours ago, KillSkillX said:

Hey guys,

how did you guys get the "Pyromaniac" Trophy? I burned everything in the game that can be burned via Torch and still the trophy doesn't pop up..

Do you also burned everything in the pit/lava?

Hello, this thread here should help... https://steamcommunity.com/app/294440/discussions/0/451850849197710710/

along with this one here, but the first link is more useful https://steamcommunity.com/app/294440/discussions/0/616198900651789228/

Edited by drlight66

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2020 at 10:31 AM, Ranari_Kai said:

If you've earned all the other trophies, the one you're most likely to be missing is enchanting the dirk. You need to put it in fire, hit it with the hammer twice, then put water on it or submerge it in water. That was the only one I was missing after getting most other trophies.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:12 AM, drlight66 said:

For the master scholar trophy (62 major puzzles), you must play Master mode AND do everything all in one playthrough.  You can die and reload your save, but the requirements for the achievement are that you do EVERYTHING during the same playthrough.  That's probably why you aren't getting the trophy to pop.  The 62 major puzzles can't be done across multiple playthroughs or multiple difficulties, it's all for one single playthrough (on Master difficulty).

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. According to this list of missable major puzzles, one of them is to find the two "artifacts" in the dark catacombs, one is to look at the stars in the observatory, and there's one for each of the alchemy recipes, and I definitely did not do any of those (except maybe one alchemy recipe) during the playthrough where I got it.

Edited by MattPieti

On 8/23/2020 at 6:28 AM, MattPieti said:

If you've earned all the other trophies, the one you're most likely to be missing is enchanting the dirk. You need to put it in fire, hit it with the hammer twice, then put water on it or submerge it in water. That was the only one I was missing after getting most other trophies.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. According to this list of missable major puzzles, one of them is to find the two "artifacts" in the dark catacombs, one is to look at the stars in the observatory, and there's one for each of the alchemy recipes, and I definitely did not do any of those (except maybe one alchemy recipe) during the playthrough where I got it.

Hm, I'll have to try to go for it and see if i get it during one playthrough or just from randomly doing everything across multiple playthroughs.  I was playing Elliot Quest for a little bit, then work and other stuff got me busy and I've just been playing a few other games in the meantime including doing some custom challenges of Pawarumi since I've already Platinum'd the game including getting the WR.  

I may put Elliot Quest on hold and just start up with Shadowgate, maybe start to play both together.  

I did a marathon of Shadowgate last night and finished just a few minutes ago playing the LRG physical release of it (disc only has version 1.02 on it, had to download the 1.04 update which had patch notes saying "fixed retro issues after 1.02 and Hidden Death #9 (i think it was #9, whatever the goblin mug one is). 

Played through Normal (Casual), clearing the mode and earning 9 bronze and 1 silver trophies along the way.  Per the trophy descriptions there's seemingly a way to do the pumpkin quest on that mode but i could only find the mask and hat, couldn't find the goblin tunic.  Did find all 3 pumpkins but needed the full halloween costume to open the door i think?  I had the mask and hat equipped but the door still wouldn't open so i'm assuming i needed the goblin tunic.  But, i only ever encountered the first goblin at the main entrance of the castle and searching him and did everything i could after ko'ing him and killing him but he didn't have a tunic on, nor could i find a tunic anywhere else and i searched high and low (was also the only thing i had to look up when playing the mode, everything else i figured out myself)

Anyway, from messing around including scouring every book on the bookshelf (maybe one of these days i'll actually read the text of every book in the library, i did see the dragon's lair reference though lol) and using way too many moves on that, i got to the point where my saves were just too long and i only had like 20 moves allowed before the Talimar hidden timer would occur to end my game so i had no choice but to finish up the mode.  So now i'm all done with Normal and will play Classic from now on only (begin with Easy and work my way up to experience the full game).  

Btw, was quite happy that on that mode that drinking the purple potion was a super quick and easy way to cure the banshee's curse, i'm dreading trying to figure it out on the harder difficulties.  Gotta say that the wheel command system and general controls for the PS4 are really quick and easy to learn and get used to and use, the devs did an amazing job with it, which i believe too was part of the humongous update the game got when it got the pumpkin quest update on pc back around 2014 or so so it wasn't just made specifically for consoles only, has been part of the PC version's quality of life and pumpkin quest update a few months after the game first launched on PC.

Edited by drlight66

Ok, so yeah it looks like a lot of the accumulation trophies don't have to be done during a single playthrough, rather the game system keeps track of everything you do across all playthroughs.  I had a chance to play the game again today (works sucks!) and starting playing the game on Classic -Apprentice (Easy) mode.  I earned two more trophies... curing Banshee's curse in less than 800 turns and getting 80% of all map locations/notes.  The 80% map/note trophy i earned while roaming around one of the towers in the game and i hadn't even gotten to the mummified king's room yet or several other rooms before that (it doesn't look like i can even get to the goblin armory or laboratory on Apprentice mode), but ANYWAY, that trophy must've popped as a combination of my Normal (casual) mode playthrough and my current Apprentice/Easy mode playthrough.  

So that's really good news and will make doing several trophies later on MUCH easier.  I got the goblin tunic from the first goblin you encounter past the drawbridge, that definitely wasn't obtainable in the Normal - Casual mode, and i have all three pumpkins and all 3 outfit pieces i need to go into the pumpkin door so i'm gonna do that sometime tomorrow.  I've only played the game three separate days but I'm super happy about the progress I've made considering that i've done pretty much the entire game blind aside from looking up the goblin tunic thing for the pumpkin door.

Just earned 4 more trophies:

- Pumpkin quest on apprentice

- examining 400 different items

- praying at every altar (which i got by accident because i didn't realize i could pray to the hooded statue in the 3rd room of the game until going past it like 50 times then saw the "speak to" cursor icon appear over it, i meant to try and talk to it not pray to it lol but ok!

- beating apprentice in less than 2700 turns (i don't even know how you can go over 2700 turns on apprentice!)

I'm hoping and i'm assuming that i no longer have to look at the non-book/scroll items anymore when going for the 500 and 600 examine item trophies, which'll save me a ton of time.  

There were two doors in one of the towers that i couldn't find the keys for on apprentice, i'm assuming i can't access those on apprentice.  

Gonna speedrun and do an ironman/non-hint/no saving playthrough of apprentice one more time just to completely clear out the mode and get those 3 trophies, then i should be done with both Normal (casual) mode and Classic Apprentice (easy) modes and never have to play them again.  Then onto journeyman mode....

And... i just cleared those 3 trophies mentioned above (apprentice - ironman, no hints, no saving).  I'm actually confused about two of those trophies... isn't no saves and doing it one session one and the same?

Also discovered a few new things while playing... the cube of ice from hammering the icicle.. the hidden shooting star behind the picture in the observatory, and a few other things that i'm sure will become significant when i start playing Journeyman mode next.  As things stand though, i think i've now wrapped up Apprentice mode and done as much in it as i can.  Now onto Journeyman mode which i'm sure will be having me pulling my hair out, i don't even want to know how bad Master is going to be especially with having to cure the banshee's curse.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:22 PM, pathtoninja said:

Cool! Might have to pick this up now.

It's a really fun game if you're looking for a challenging puzzle adventure game.  Also it's def worth playing if you are a fan of the old Zojoi games from back in the day (Deja Vu, Uninvited, Shadowgate).  Regarding going for the Platinum, just be aware that you are going to have to replay the game a lot BUT every difficulty mode you play on throws new and different things at you and gets much more challenging each step up you take in difficulty.

I played the game again earlier after a week long break (work takes up all my time/energy).  Been playing on Journeyman difficulty after having done everything i think i possibly could on the Normal Casual difficulty (easiest mode in the game) and the Classic Easy/Apprentice difficulty.  Just earned another trophy, the discover 25 unique deaths trophy and i'm already up to 27 now so i'm already close to the 35 unique death trophy and should be able to get it i think by the time i finish the mode, as there's tons of new possible deaths that couldn't be done on the easier difficulty modes.  I got stuck for a good hour on trying to figure out how to power the drawbridge lol, i need to pay way better attention to the special markings on the map.

I'm going through the game pretty much blind but persistence has paid off so far =)

Edited by drlight66
  • Like 1

3 more trophies down (Master Pumpkin Hunter, Journeyman Tradesman - examine 500 objects) and Weather Master.  I have three different Journeyman saveslots going, one is way far back in progress, i'm worried that the banshee's curse is going to end my game because i can't figure out how to get the 3rd skull yet.  I know where it is i think, i can't figure out the puzzle though since normally it's lit up on apprentice but isn't in journeyman mode.  I still have a few doors to explore in the towers though.  Also i think i'm like 3 or 4 unique deaths away from the 35 unique death trophy so i should get that no problem.  If i do figure out the banshee curse cure, i'm going to do two saves.  One to cure it and become safe from that, the other to just do a ton of actions over and over again so i get the death from the curse.  

Journeyman hasn't been too bad but some puzzles have been taking me a while to figure out lol.

It kind of sucks that i'm going to have to repeat all of the deaths again for Master mode specifically.  I mean i guess i could just wait to do this but going into the mode at least i'll know what they all are or mostly all are by the time i'm done with Journeyman mode.

Edited by drlight66

I seem to be averaging 3 trophies per day lol, just got 3 more today.  Just from messing around i found the electric element (which i think i actually needed in the catacombs anyway), so got the "catch all elements trophy).  Found a bunch more ways to die so got the 35 unique deaths trophy, i think i'm at maybe 38 unique deaths now so 10 away from the 48 deaths trophy although the special hidden deaths on Master are going to be a pain to find.  Also beat Journeyman in less than 2000 turns, i think i was at around 1800 when i finished.

What's annoying and some of this happened on apprentice mode too is that the game will give you all these puzzles and items and stuff, and sometimes it's impossible to do anything with them because they are Master mode specific (or if on Apprentice, some things can only be done on Journeyman/Master).  Like i spent a good 40 minutes trying to figure out how to open the locked door in the room with the well in the catacombs, tried the disconcerting key, tried the iron key, tried the skeleton key, none of them worked.  Then read about how I do get the key, i don't think i ever would've figured that out unless by accident when going for the "don't kill any goblins on master" difficulty.  

Journeyman wasn't too bad, i did have to look up how to find the 3rd wizard skull, also had to load an older save because i smashed all of the black crystals which killed further game progress but that only cost me maybe 10 minutes or so so not too bad.

I may fly through apprentice mode again one more time to burn all of the mounted torches and curtains and everything else possible on that mode just to get closer to the two burning-specific trophies.  Then play through journeyman mode again to light the rest of the torches and anything else i can find that's torchable that i couldn't on apprentice aside from some lab specific things along with using the glasses which i didn't know i could use.  Then play through Journeyman again to do the quick banshee cure/ironman/no hints/single play session trophies, then after that i should hopefully just have to wrap everything else up on Master and i should be done with the game, but that's gonna be A LOT of work.  I keep making progress though so so far so good =)

Ok, burned every torch on apprentice along with every item possible on apprentice.  Noticed a hidden metal bar on the floor that i had never noticed before since the game text box partially blocks it rofl, i wonder if that'll come in handy on Master mode.  Also ate a piece of the meat, so got that as another consumable (i think i'm now at.... 16 consumables now? 

Spoiler

chunk of ice, bread, meat, mushroom, potion, licorice mix, black mix, root, root in castle, dirty water, water from bottle... sugar block thing forget what it's called.... seedling plant, fungus, minty flower.. pumpkin seed... oh i guess 16 haha.  17 will be the roses in front of the statues).

I'm a little confused about the two torches in the invisible room, i collected them and ended up burning them but i dunno if that counts collecting them or not, thought maybe it's only while they're mounted but i could be totally wrong.  Anyway, i'm gonna wrap up some journeyman specific trophies, see what else i can do in the lab, also read about the glasses so that might create some new things to do in the mode, then onto Master which i tried briefly and holy crap do torches run out fast on that mode!  Not looking forward to the intricate and confusing Master specific puzzles either lol

Edited by drlight66

Earned 3 more trophies (see?  it's always trophies in sets of 3 lol).  Completed the Journeyman ironman mode, single session and no hints trophies.  I'm pretty certain I've now done as much as possible on Journeyman mode as i can, so that clears out Normal/Casual mode, along with Classic Easy/Normal (Apprentice/Journeyman) modes.  All that's left is to play on Hard (Master) mode for the remaining trophies.

It's soooooo annoying where the game gives you hints and puzzles and such but you can only do them on Master difficulty.  I thought brackish base as part of a recipe would be the sewer water or nasty lake water, but nope, turns out it's something totally different that i can only get on Master difficulty.  It's really irritating spending so much time trying to do something and it turns out it's impossible to do it on the easier difficulties, bleh.  

Anyway, I'm super close to a lot of the other accumulation trophies.  I haven't really tried Master mode other than for a few minutes and holy cow does it look to be an even bigger jump from Journeyman than Journeyman was from Apprentice.  I wonder how many of the puzzles are designed just to trigger the hidden deaths and how many are actually needed to progress and clear the mode.  Looks like i'll find out during the next several days :gulp:

I'm trying to do this having to look things up as little as possible, if i can at least clear the mode without having to look anything up i'll be happy lol.  The hidden deaths though i'm sure i'll have to read at least a few of how to trigger.

Edited by drlight66

After a week long hiatus (work sucks!), finally started tackling Master (Hard) mode.  After being stuck trying to figure out how to get past the wraith for an hour, I looked the solution up and can't believe I didn't figure it out on my own.  What's funny is I'm almost certain I used

Spoiler

my torch on those candles on apprentice to get the enchanted flame, but it didn't seem to have any use and i completely forgot about it since lol

Other than failing on that puzzle, I managed to make it to the moat, but with half a torch remaining, I'm going to restart my game all over again since I spent probably a good 50-60 turns more than necessary to get there.  Plus after messing around with the levers doing every combination possible, i have all of them written down including what they do so that'll save me lots of turns (and time).  At least I figured out how to make it past the firedrake room on my own and how to open up the sewer door to the mirror room on my own.  Still annoyed at myself for not figuring out the solution to the wraith puzzle, that's what i get for not paying closer attention to that one room lol.

Edited by drlight66