Very poor and lazy Remaster.

5 hours ago, woggly4 said:

As @demonoutcast already said this is an old bug. You just have to earn money by selling/scraping cars instead of robbing stores. But still very disappointing that they even ported the bugs.

Do i need to earn 55000 completly via selling/scrapping cars or just a little bit?

Edit: I crashed 5 cars just in case cause i robbed 5 stors for the trophy. now it worked. I didn't had that bug when i played it on release.

Thanks for the tipp @demonoutcast@woggly4

Edited by TheRealHardyBoy1
  • Like 1

I started playing this on the Malaysian account I made to download it, forgetting to swap to my main, and I’m so glad I did forget to change accounts so my main isn’t tarnished with its presence. An absolute piss-poor effort that I’d be more annoyed about had I spent money on it. Not worth your time at all in its current state. 

• Like 1

That's too bad. I was very excited to play it today. But hell no, I learned my lesson with Bad Company 1 and I won't even look at a game with a well-known glitched trophy and just hope for a fix. Okay, technically it's a different story, because BC1 is very old and the remaster is just a few days young, but still... They have to provide a fix before I'm touching this. But joke's on me, I already paid for it. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

It is a reminder of how clunky games used to be and how far gaming has come since then.  What was considered somewhere between a cult favorite and a masterpiece is considered garbage today.

In many ways, we are in a golden age of gaming, and it keeps betting better.  Looking very forward to the PS5 generation.

Yeah, I was watching a pc max settings playthrough of Mafia 2 alongside my run of this PS4 version and honestly the audio quality and sync and the animation quality both seem basically the same.

Like you said, games were clunky, especially third party multiplatform ones.

Also think that we're living THE golden age of gaming.

Not only do games nowadays employ a huge number of creatives in huge high production value undertakings, but this also became a massive mainstream multi billion dollar industry that rivals with the movie industry.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

why was it free on malaysia, nobody really clarified that. was it a accident and then they noticed it and pulled it? i didnt even know malaysia had its own separate ps store until now lol

Pretty sure it was an accident when it first got uploaded to the store, seems to have happened to a few games recently.

For the most part the graphics are fine for me but the audio is abysmal 

The opening cutscene was as if I had the volume on max but the cutscene with Joe at the bar the audio only comes out one side of the speaker

Also I don't know if it's just me but I had issues with the gameplay in the first chapter

You couldn't get in cover right away despite pressing the button a few times and I wasn't able to pick up the machine gun on the roof right away either 

I'll probably just shelve this for now and wait for a patch but is it even possible to fix audio issues in a patch?

Now I'm nervous on how the Saint's Row 3 remaster is going to turn out but will have to wait and see

• Like 1

Damn. Sucks to read about all these problems (and I'm sorry to all of you for having to experience it). I got Mafia 2 for free (the same way everyone else who got it for free got it) and I was looking forward to really digging into it once I get my 100% in Two Worlds II but damn, now I'm not so sure I want to play it at all. The only 2 things I wasn't looking forward to doing again was collecting the Wanted posters and Playboy magazines but I was willing to deal with it because I really liked this game when I played/platinumed/100%'ed it on the PS3 years ago. 

Saints Row 3 remastered? Hell fucking yeah, count me in! I sure wish they'd remastered all the Ratchet & Clank games or one of my all-time favorites, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. But I guess that wont happen because apparently EA wont allow it? Or some shit like that? Burn in hell EA!

6 hours ago, djb5f said:

It is a reminder of how clunky games used to be and how far gaming has come since then.  What was considered somewhere between a cult favorite and a masterpiece is considered garbage today.

In many ways, we are in a golden age of gaming, and it keeps betting better.  Looking very forward to the PS5 generation.

Stop kidding yourself. You sound like you're willing to shell out $60 for the latest and greatest AAA games, with $20 - 40 on the Season Pass, complete with PS4 Pro at 4K graphics. The PC already beat out the Pro because it's fully capable of 4K graphics at 60 frames per second, with speeds that make the Pro ashamed. That isn't to mention the superior cooling fans you can purchase on websites like Newegg.com, as well as guides to building your own custom PC desktop to play the latest and greatest available on Steam. Complete with two - three gaming monitors so you can track everything with just a few simple mouse clicks.

If you want clunky, go back to the PS1/N64 generation and play something like Turok. Hell, play the first Mario Party game and do that Tug-of-War minigame by rotating the control stick. My hands got very sore using it, parents were trying to sue Nintendo because too many kids got their hands sore from using that control stick on the Nintendo 64 controller.

Even Goldeneye 007 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, both masterpieces in their day, are considered crap today.

I give credit to the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 era because I feel it was taking more risks. Give me something like Lollipop Chainsaw nowadays, because I don't see it. Or those classic NBA Jam games that poke fun at the sport. Can't have that, too many risks. Less risk taking, more money making. Take-Two Interactive has been on top of that.

Kids nowadays have too much shit handed to them. You guys are cheering about a game you got for free. At this point in time they're just handing out games like Halloween candy. You get a game that is a remaster of a 10 year old game, and just by comparing the two the PS3/360 original was better.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

Spaz, enjoy playing on the PS2/PS3 for that nostalgia feeling.  If you are into retro platformers, perhaps it makes sense.  NES Mini might be an even better fit.  You could not pay me to play it though.

I prefer my gaming on PS4 and almost certainly PS5 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Ports of older games onto PS4 have been a colossal failure mainly because they just don’t hold up well over time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

And complaining that controls getting better is a bad thing definitely an Angry Old Man take.

Nailed it.

This guy is Old Testament level of boring.

I couldn't read his humongous blocks of text to save my life.

There's a special place in hell reserved for people who give him likes.

God dammit.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, djb5f said:

You argue that accessibility in games is a bad thing.  I think the exact opposite.  All games should have many different difficulty levels like you see in Uncharted or so many others.  For those who don’t game regularly, they should be able to play on Easy.  For those who like a challenge, play Brutal.

Accessibility in games should not reach the point where anybody can reach the end with very little effort. Boss fights should present some difficulty even on the easiest setting.

They should take a note from Dark Souls. I consider that game to be a masterpiece in many fashions not just for it's clever level design and dominating bosses, but for making the player think and strategize from the first playthrough. The only difficulty levels are going from one playthrough to another, New Game to New Game Plus. If you mindlessly hack away at anything that moves, you are going to die very easily. If you take the time to strategize, then you can avoid a lot of bad conflicts. In that game you can run into some Basilisks fairly early, you die from them you character will get Cursed, which greatly reduces your health among other things. Is that making something less accessible?

It doesn't hold your hand and doesn't hand out freebies. Gaming should present some modicum of challenge regardless if you're a little kid playing his first video game and if you're playing on the easiest setting. Many games out there nowadays are basically participation trophies from start to finish. Ratalaika Games has made a profit off of people here in the past two years, which is saying something.

18 minutes ago, djb5f said:

And complaining that controls getting better is a bad thing definitely an Angry Old Man take.  What’s next, complaining that there are infinite lives?  Games like Super Mario Brothers trilogy were among the top ones in the NES era but a terrible game design that you had to start all over when losing your lives.  So you could master the first 2 hours of a game only to fail at a part that was new to you.  And then, not get to try that section again until you replayed the first 2 hours again.  So unnecessary and just artificial difficulty/replay.

Super Mario was piss easy when you compare to many other NES era titles. You're looking at games from a modern gamers perspective, meaning you probably haven't really played any challenging indie titles that try to present a challenge that was more apparent during the 8 - bit/64 - bit generations.

Super Mario Bros 3 is still one of the best video games Nintendo has ever made, and has aged incredibly well. It was the first video game I ever played in my life.

21 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Games being accessible is very much a good thing.  If you want top challenge, go online against folks who play that game 24/7 (MLB The Show 19 for example) or play on the hardest difficulty.

Games being accessible by giving gamers Ratalaika like trophy lists, having six stacks for a game, and pampering them with tutorials is very much a bad thing. People seeking top challenge or just a little challenge are the minority. The vast majority are casual gamers, who buy maybe 5 - 10 games a year, generally all AAA titles, many of which hold their hand via tutorials. They are what makes these big companies money.

This goes back to Dark Souls. All that game gives is some simple button commands in the starting area. After that you're on your own. Whether you have a co-op partner carry you, level up normally like most people, or be one of those hardcore gamers who plays the entire game at Soul Level 1, it's up to you.

I've derailed this topic far enough. But I definitely think Mafia II is far from the clunky experience you think it is, because in many respects it's not. Mafia III felt more cumbersome in comparison, perhaps because of it's locked 30 FPS but there was definitely a lot more padding that was unnecessary.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

The PC already beat out the Pro because it's fully capable of 4K graphics at 60 frames per second, with speeds that make the Pro ashamed. That isn't to mention the superior cooling fans you can purchase on websites like Newegg.com, as well as guides to building your own custom PC desktop to play the latest and greatest available on Steam. Complete with two - three gaming monitors so you can track everything with just a few simple mouse clicks.

Weird flex but okay? At the same cost? And more importantly, the same value? Yeah, don't think so.

latest and greatest available on Steam.

On which 99% is greenlight, early access, money stealing, asset flipped shovelware. The actual greatest games are likely to appear on all systems.

First party matters, PS dominates that time and time again. Third party - what's the benefits of 3rd party on PC when we hear PC ports being terrible constantly. How about the 1st fastest, critically acclaimed titles such as GTA. Am I guaranteed to get one of the most anticipated games to arrive to PC along with everyone else? No I'm not.

In game. If I go on COD:

PC - Hackers

Console - Clear

GTA:

PC - Hackers

Console - Clear

PD2:

PC - Hackers

Console - Clear

You get the jist. Point is, there are clear benefits to both platforms and advertising PC gaming is "superior" isn't one of them, cheif.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Is this the alpha?

This is the "complete package" as deemed by Hangar 13, who have not only managed to ruin the IP but to now ruin its predecessor.

Edited by GTAJJ
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, GTAJJ said:

Weird flex but okay? At the same cost? And more importantly, the same value? Yeah, don't think so.

Ever play MMOs? MOBAs like League of Legends and DOTA 2? Plenty of people use custom desktops because they are the best option (probably the only real option) for livestreaming. They are very cost effective if you can afford them.

9 minutes ago, GTAJJ said:

On which 99% is greenlight, early access, money stealing, asset flipped shovelware. The actual greatest games are likely to appear on all systems.

First party matters, PS dominates that time and time again. Third party - what's the benefits of 3rd party on PC when we hear PC ports being terrible constantly. How about the 1st fastest, critically acclaimed titles such as GTA. Am I guaranteed to get one of the most anticipated games to arrive to PC along with everyone else? No I'm not.

In game. If I go on COD:

PC - Hackers

Console - Clear

GTA:

PC - Hackers

Console - Clear

PD2:

PC - Hackers

Console - Clear

You get the jist. Point is, there are clear benefits to both platforms and advertising PC gaming is "superior" isn't one of them, cheif.

You're just listing AAA games, not games that people have said served them well on Steam. Looking at just Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto is a very narrow mindset. Steam gamers learned their lesson with Batman: Arkham Knight when it released. Today it's a much better game on Steam.

Going back to Mafia II, it's clear the remaster was not ready for release, and that goes for all platforms. They should be ashamed of themselves.