Started Streaming: Need Advice

kdogg_gamer_

I started a hobby related to gaming and that is streaming! I am trying to build my base but I would like to know from fellow gamers what they would watch. My whole theme is trophies such as Platinum Runs of games but not simple ones like my name is mayo. If a game interests me I want to get all the trophies, I am doing The Last of Us Remastered right now and did a walkthrough of Grounded Mode with all collectibles. But I have to do another NG+ for that and then MP. I doubt people would watch the MP portion of this game, so I ask you fellow gamers would you watch Platinum Runs of games (everything needed)? Or would you just watch specific games? I am not sure if I can link my Twitch but if I end up being allowed to I will and you can watch or follow if you want although that isn't the point of this thread! Thank you for any and all the advice that you gamers could give because I need different perspectives on this!

Don't worry about having a 'thing' right off the bat. Just stream and have fun. As you build regulars and learn what you're comfortable doing on stream (or camera, as the case may be), you'll start narrowing down your 'thing'. A decent way to start is build a list of games you're intending to 100% and just focus on doing those while streaming. Things will work itself out if you stick with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

Don't worry about having a 'thing' right off the bat. Just stream and have fun. As you build regulars and learn what you're comfortable doing on stream (or camera, as the case may be), you'll start narrowing down your 'thing'. A decent way to start is build a list of games you're intending to 100% and just focus on doing those while streaming. Things will work itself out if you stick with it.

Oh absolutely I will have fun. Thats the most important thing to me. I didn't really think of getting a list and just doing them 100%. I'll try to do that and build an audience with maybe some easier gamers to follow. Thanks @Jelly Soup

No problem, hope it helps!

I'm actually working out streaming for myself, currently. I've done it a bit in the past, but I figured a more set schedule and the extra layer of interesting streaming adds would be an excellent way to start a profile clean up.

16 hours ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

I started a hobby related to gaming and that is streaming! I am trying to build my base but I would like to know from fellow gamers what they would watch. My whole theme is trophies such as Platinum Runs of games but not simple ones like my name is mayo. If a game interests me I want to get all the trophies, I am doing The Last of Us Remastered right now and did a walkthrough of Grounded Mode with all collectibles. But I have to do another NG+ for that and then MP. I doubt people would watch the MP portion of this game, so I ask you fellow gamers would you watch Platinum Runs of games (everything needed)? Or would you just watch specific games? I am not sure if I can link my Twitch but if I end up being allowed to I will and you can watch or follow if you want although that isn't the point of this thread! Thank you for any and all the advice that you gamers could give because I need different perspectives on this!

I used to stream XCOM 's Long War back in the early days of Twitch. Never had more than 800 followers, so it wasn't all that successful for me.

Biggest thing was already mentioned (having fun), but it's also very important to stick with a set schedule. 

Most people I've talked with, are more interested with engaging with the streamer, not so much the game itself (although new games do attract the FOMO crowd).

Be personable, make people feel something (thrills, laughter whatever) and you'll do fine.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, VigilantCrow said:

I used to stream XCOM 's Long War back in the early days of Twitch. Never had more than 800 followers, so it wasn't all that successful for me.

Biggest thing was already mentioned (having fun), but it's also very important to stick with a set schedule. 

Most people I've talked with, are more interested with engaging with the streamer, not so much the game itself (although new games do attract the FOMO crowd).

Be personable, make people feel something (thrills, laughter whatever) and you'll do fine.

Best of luck!

A majority of people I find on Twitch are boring. If you're going to sit there and play a game, while not actively interacting with your audience, I get turned off.

Not everybody can be a successful streamer. You not only need to demonstrate games that many people are familiar with (such as Dark Souls), you need a real personality. As much as I despise PewDiePie, Markaplier and JackSepticEye, they all shown a personality that millions of people got attached to. Granted they got their fame on YouTube and not Twitch, but streaming is basically the next step above Let's Plays on YouTube anyway.

Most people have anywhere from a small handful of followers (10 to 20 or so) to just under 1000 followers. One to five or ten viewers is generally what I typically see when I skim through a list of streamers for a particular game on Twitch. The guys who have a multitude of followers with a few thousand viewers watching at the same time are the ones who probably make a living off of Twitch. That is not easy. Generating that fanbase and having them support you through your livestreams is the biggest hurdle. That requires time and a lot of patience.

The problem is, because video game channels and twitch streams are a dime a dozen nowadays, it's going to be that much harder to generate a sizable following and have them care about the content you produce.

My advice, just stick to a small following. If you have a small number of people who are passionate for watching your streams, that is good enough.

Me personally have the personality that is the equivalent of wet cardboard. I couldn't deliver thrills and laughs if my life depended on them. So, like most, I just play on my own, without an audience watching me. Plus I don't have the proper equipment to do livestreams anyway.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

A majority of people I find on Twitch are boring. If you're going to sit there and play a game, while not actively interacting with your audience, I get turned off.

The majority of streamer viewers are children and young adults (who are still growing out of that childhood phase) . The entire concept of watching games isn't designed for us older people, as streams usually go for hours at a time (again designed for kids who have more free time). You're not the target audience so of course you're turned off.

1 minute ago, VigilantCrow said:

The majority of streamer viewers are children and young adults (who are still growing out of that childhood phase) . The entire concept of watching games isn't designed for us older people, as streams usually go for hours at a time (again designed for kids who have more free time). You're not the target audience so of course you're turned off.

31 years of age qualifies as an older person?