What do you guys think about stacking

JEDI_BROTHERS

In total favour of stacking, some games have replay value. For instance, I have three Diablo 3 platinums, the original on ps3, then reaper of souls on both PS4 and ps3. Some might call that self-abuse but doing it on the ps3 was harder because there was no online community. I figured out my own secret to levelling fast though offline that I have never shared publicly, and won’t do so here. I’m proud of that.

I totally plan on replaying Inquisition on PS4, there are more dlc than on the ps3 version. 

I’m personally in more favour of stacking across console than region. That’s just a taste though, and not something I feel we should socially control and govern.

if you want to stack rata games, go for it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Would you play another stack if you didn't have to buy multiple copies?  Like you bought a game and it's cross buy so you get two versions and own both consoles.  They each have their own trophy stack.  Would you play both or just the one on your preferred console?

I would stack in that situation 

Remastered stacks are fine in my book, I've got both plats for Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls 1. But even if they shared the same list with ps3' I'd have still bought and played the shit out of those remasters. 

Going out of your way to get regional stacks seems like a waste of money to me. If a game is good I'm more than happy to put the disc back in and just play for fun long after I've gotten the plat. 

And obviously, having six stacks or whatever they make of each ratalaika game just to make a dent in the leaderboard is symptomatic of some kind of emotional issue and/or gaming addiction. I'm not saying that in a nasty way, I just think we need to look out for each other on here and it's always worrying to see that kind of destructive,  poor decision making getting validation. 

Edited by twothumbedfist
  • Like 3

If people want to replay games for more trophies, more power to them. I think auto-popping trophies is a little silly though since most of my satisfaction comes from earning the trophy. I don't foresee myself getting any more stacks outside of the Disgaea series, but things can change.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I want to first say that I normally don't stack games, but recently since I've been playing assassin creed 1,2 & brotherhood on the PS3, I am very tempted to buy the ps4 versions without online trophies. I am loving the games themselves and haven't been this engrossed in a game series for a long time. I literally spent 12 hrs gaming last night till 5am and I am having loads of fun, that I would love to have the platinum in the game, but online on a single player really puts me off, tried last week and got bored very easy. Same maps, no way of practicing in game, yes I got killed twice by poison as soon as I entered, I didn't know it could be shot at me, until I went back on playing the single player & found out by Leonardo later on (only just started the game).

But after a few sessions, I levelled up slowly, most players was level 50 and have 10+ years experience on me, new to the series and had fun for a while joining the sessions, but it wasn't enough for me to play it more. I need meat in my games, not just vegetable's. Please note I do love a challenge, I just find MP in single player games are boring and I don't think they belong in single player games. Fighting & sports game's I understand, but not single player.

My question is mostly what your thoughts are about stacking games you have already done, why do you do it and is their a point where your treated less of a gamer by stacking the same game?. I've been gaming for years, I'm old and a part of me want the platinum in brotherhood and the other assassin creed games, that don't have online. I got a ps3 & ps4 and I'm very late to the party, I'm happy to earn what I can in this one including Leonardo Da Vinci. But I would love to play the game again on the ps4 and if it allows me to self boost the ps3 versions, I will do it at a later date.

My dilemma is that I don't like stacking games, as it would just show I'm replaying the game for the platinum, I don't care for the leader board or extra trophies, I play for fun and to test my skills. I love Ezio in the story and sending my assassins to kill guards who shove me in the game. lol. Love to hear people's thoughts on this and if someone can recommend which assassin creed games are on the ps4 as a re-master with no online, so I can just enjoy the journey again to get my assassin creed fix. I Haven't put down the series since I started assassin creed 1 on the 24th last month and I don't want to stop because of the online trophies, as it nearly stop me from playing the series altogether.

• Like 1

just do what you enjoy doing, if you want to regrind games you have already done then kudos to you. I personally dont want to replay games that I have already done just for the sake of trophies. The only game I had to redo was GTA V (I think ?) because a lot of my friends got it for PS4.

• Like 1

Hello, mind the spoilers? ?

Spoiler

until I went back on playing the single player & found out by Leonardo later on

You can play the games on another account if you care about your trophies on this account. You can enjoy them without worrying about trophies.

Personally, stacking is fine if you think its fun. I think its crazy when people stack "just to stack and get another trophy", no enjoyment. Stacking BioShock is far more impressive than stacking Ratalaika games and also I bet stacking BioShock is a lot more fun and the people who do this I am certain it is because they have fun playing the games and don't mind doing it over again. There are people who stack just to get another platinum cause of, obviously, addiction, now that is a problem but aye to each their own. 

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 1

Made a post and it got moved. lol. By god I will never stack 5 minute games or even play them for that matter, let alone do it for trophies. I like grinding for hard/long games hence why I play JRPG's, as I can spend hours having fun and get my money worth . This is more a one off kind of stack, as I am loving the series and happy to pay & regrind the series and synch 100% again just for the fun factor, with my own challenges attached. I did Assassin creed 2 with the mind-set of using only my hidden blade to kill, as it made the game last longer.

I never really enjoyed a series enough, where I even thought of stacking, as it's not my style. But this series needs a replay, as I love how it's done and would like the ps4 version in 4k with no online. 2 version's of the same game is enough, never would do more and it's rare I would buy a game again just for trophies or the platinum. I can get trophies from my current games naturally if I so wish, as 9/10 games I play I find easy. Good to know I can replay the game and have fun, knowing that it's ok to stack the game and not be judged that I'm doing it for fun and not to rack up trophies.

If people want to, it's fine but for me personally I wouldn't unless under special circumstances. Such cases are games I absolutely love to play and games that have significantly different trophy lists/content between releases.

For competitions though I think stacks kind of bum out the spirit of it. Unless, of course, the contest is all about stacking, then fair game.

I leave the country allot and run across games from different regions often. I have 4 or 5 Akiba plats and 2 shinobido 2 plats. With Shinobido 2 I first played the Japanese version this year in Shinjuku. I loved it so much that I bought both the NA and EU versions when I got home.

Truth is both these games are my 2 quarantine games I platted in Exile, I want to play every version. I don't care if I have 5 or 500 platinums.

• Like 1

I don't think stacking trophies is any different than playing certain franchise games. Look at the POWGI games. They have different titles but at he end of the day, you're pretty much just playing the same game over and over. So what makes that any different than stacking trophies?

• Like 4

I don't care, I don't view the person any differently. Everyone has their own preferred way to play games. Some people get fulfillment and satisfaction out of getting a ton of trophies, regardless of how easy they were, and whether they got the 100% or not. Others prefer to only play hard games. Others like to stack games, knowing they've played the game through and through several times, and that there's absolutely nothing left to do. And some don't care about trophies at all.

Personally, I wouldn't do it just because I don't want to spend money on the same exact game several times for trophies, unless I turn into the next Jeff Bezos.

I think whatever play style you choose to pursue is alright and totally understandable, as long as it's not something that affects or ruins other people's gaming experiences, such as trophy/online cheating.

• Like 3

Don't see an issue with it. If you're willing to pay for additional version of a game and then play them, more power to you. For my part, unless buying one version automatically gives me the licence for another regions version, I'm fine with just the one. There are exceptions, though. If a game I really enjoy, like Costume Quest (a small series I've played through on both PSN and Steam) had other region version that stacked, I'd totally buy them.

Stacking has given me at least +15 cheap quick largely crossbuy plats, +17 if you include Dead Nation and Persona 4 Dancing All Night which are longer (doing co-op with someone in DN, Persona 4 Dancing came in a collection for free).

So I've gotten a boost from it certainly though nowhere near a number of people I've seen. I did consider going further and getting other regions versions in there too... but I stopped myself. As nice as it is to get those quick plats and go up a level so rapidly... I feel it takes away something from your list if done too much. The people who did it a lot... you can't even make out what they've played that they actually wanted to play. My personal view, mean no attack if it comes across that way.

So if I had to be the one making the choice I'd say I'd eliminate stacking outside the case of Remasters and such. Bioshock 2 Remastered for example has no online so the original game's online trophies would obviously be impossible to attain if kept. Lists would be much cleaner that way and people would have to vary it up more.

• Like 1

I love stacking. Further, if a game offers me two plats for the price of one, I’ll take it.  I’ve stacked every Rat game I’ve purchased, except for the one today, but I’ll stack that one, soon. I stacked Pier Solar when I found out I got the PS4 version when I bought the PS3 one. I stacked Salt and Sanctuary on PS4 and Vita, and liked it so much that I bought the EU version to plat it again. Demon’s Souls will get it’s 4th stack when they remaster it. Dark Souls, Dark souls 2, DA: Inquisition - all of them have been stacked as well. I’ll likely stack Dragon’s Dogma one of these days, too.

I always get a kick out, “I support stacking, but only when it fits the parameters in which I stack games!”, by the way...

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I hope there isn't an existing thread dedicated to this topic, I searched for one but was unsuccessful! Now to the question at hand, what are your opinions on those that stack trophies by playing games they've already finished. I received a personal message several months ago from a PSNP user who shall remain nameless who obviously felt a certain way by a post I made to send the message they did. Trying to justify their actions to a complete stranger, myself. That got me thinking about this thread, I hope people can be civilised with a topic such as this and respect each other opinions.

Do you feel that stacking is un-avoidable and are you for or against it? I think there are 2 types of stacking, those of us who care about their ranks within the global leaderboards who will play anything to climb the ranks and people who stack games they enjoy. As for my own thoughts I don't believe that stacking games are un-avoidable because like many trophy hunters I haven't stacked anything, yes my account is very new in comparison however I don't need to go out and play Demon's Souls on the PlayStation 5 since I have already played the PS3 version, if I wanted to play it again I would just continue my save on the PS3.

As for stacking 1 hour platinums or less to challenge the leaderboards it's not for me. It's definitely mandatory but are you really a gamer at this point? Yes your still playing games but if trophies didn't exist would you still purchase said games, probably not. I'm curious do people who are high on the leaderboards, enjoy what they play? I don't see the enjoyment of playing 5 minute platinums and stacking it multiple times with every region.

Naturally some games auto-pop which is a different kettle of fish for another day. Personally if you don't enjoy what you play then your not a gamer to me. Your merely a slave to the leaderboards at this point.

I'm very interested to hear everyone's opinions on this subject!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LancashireLad87 said:

As for my own thoughts I don't believe that stacking games are un-avoidable because like many trophy hunters I haven't stacked anything, yes my account is very new in comparison however I don't need to go out and play Demon's Souls on the PlayStation 5 since I have already played the PS3 version, if I wanted to play it again I would just continue my save on the PS3.

I accidentally stacked Dead Nation, not knowing the trophy lists weren't shared and I'd need to play through the whole game again and recently made the same mistake on Motorstorm RC. So I don't know how you are defining un-avoidable, but the stacks were definitely not intentional on my part.

Just now, DaivRules said:

I accidentally stacked Dead Nation, not knowing the trophy lists weren't shared and I'd need to play through the whole game again and recently made the same mistake on Motorstorm RC. So I don't know how you are defining un-avoidable, but the stacks were definitely not intentional on my part.

That's unfortunate! With regards to stacking being unavoidable I will go by it's definition.  

Just now, LancashireLad87 said:

That's unfortunate! With regards to stacking being unavoidable I will go by it's definition.  

In that case, who has ever used the word "unavoidable" as if anyone would be unable to avoid playing a particular game?

20 minutes ago, LancashireLad87 said:

I hope there isn't an existing thread dedicated to this topic, I searched for one but was unsuccessful! Now to the question at hand, what are your opinions on those that stack trophies by playing games they've already finished. I received a personal message several months ago from a PSNP user who shall remain nameless who obviously felt a certain way by a post I made to send the message they did. Trying to justify their actions to a complete stranger, myself. That got me thinking about this thread, I hope people can be civilised with a topic such as this and respect each other opinions.

Do you feel that stacking is un-avoidable and are you for or against it? I think there are 2 types of stacking, those of us who care about their ranks within the global leaderboards who will play anything to climb the ranks and people who stack games they enjoy. As for my own thoughts I don't believe that stacking games are un-avoidable because like many trophy hunters I haven't stacked anything, yes my account is very new in comparison however I don't need to go out and play Demon's Souls on the PlayStation 5 since I have already played the PS3 version, if I wanted to play it again I would just continue my save on the PS3.

As for stacking 1 hour platinums or less to challenge the leaderboards it's not for me. It's definitely mandatory but are you really a gamer at this point? Yes your still playing games but if trophies didn't exist would you still purchase said games, probably not. I'm curious do people who are high on the leaderboards, enjoy what they play? I don't see the enjoyment of playing 5 minute platinums and stacking it multiple times with every region.

Naturally some games auto-pop which is a different kettle of fish for another day. Personally if you don't enjoy what you play then your not a gamer to me. Your merely a slave to the leaderboards at this point.

I'm very interested to hear everyone's opinions on this subject!  

@DaivRules is so against stacking he combined your thread and this one to avoid that stack too ?

Personally, I generally avoid stacking stuff one after the other in a row (aside from maybe some free vita versions here and there), and don’t multi-region stack or pancake-stack, (some ill-advised Sound Shapes stuff in my questionable past notwithstanding!) - but my profile now spans 4 consoles, and three generations, so I will happily replay a game I like in its Remake or Remastered form. :dunno:

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

In that case, who has ever used the word "unavoidable" as if anyone would be unable to avoid playing a particular game?

I consider Hitman 3 PS5 an ‘unavoidable’ stack.

It is an automatic Auto-pop (due to being server side saved), and had to be bought on PS4 as soon as it released to ensure I could do all the time-limited Elusive Targets, but obviously I want to play the game in it’s best version going forward, now that I have a PS5.

No one had a gun to my head, that’s true - but essentially unavoidable without missing out on a lot of content in one of my favourite games :dunno:

I’d also consider anything that I played on PS4, but will have a PS5 version with PS5 exclusive content (FFVII Remake, for example) an ‘unavoidable stack’ too - in the sense that avoiding it would require missing out on future content I want to play.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, LancashireLad87 said:

I don't need to go out and play Demon's Souls on the PlayStation 5 since I have already played the PS3 version, if I wanted to play it again I would just continue my save on the PS3.

Dude - I’m playing the Remake now - and couldn’t disagree more vehemently here!

Yes, the Ps3 game is great, but the remake is incredible and such a brilliant looking and lovingly updated game - It’s the version to play now - if you were going to play Demons Souls again and denied yourself the experience of the remake just to hold to a ‘No Stacks’ rule, you really would be doing yourself a disservice.

TBH, I really don’t even see Remakes as stacks at all.

The Shadow of the Colossus remake feels like a whole new experience.

FFVII Remake and Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes even more so - they are basically brand new games - they are barely even the same genres as their ancestral predecessors.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4