Difficulty for a Hockey noob?

MadEdders95

Hi folks. I've never played an NHL EA game before and the only other Hockey game I've played is the 2K7 game. Despite that, I've always wanted to try and platinum different sports games and I've always though Ice Hockey looked fun. The only issue is, how difficult is this game for a noob? I know it has a 5/10 difficulty but is that for peeps who know Hockey or is that just a general rating? 

There is really one trophy that is a platinum stopper and that is winning a Ones Eliminator tourney.  81 participants.  Only 1 winner.  These games are 1 v 1 v 1 vs. a CPU goalie.  Winners advance.  You must win 4 consecutive round to be the Champion.  As you can imagine, each round gets more difficult as you face other winners.

The good news about it is that the games are quick and you can keep entering tourneys.

Because of this trophy, I would rate the game difficulty more like a 7.5/10.  You should get it though.  They have come so far since NHL 2K7 (I had that game too, one of my initial games for PS3 - no trophies).

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, djb5f said:

There is really one trophy that is a platinum stopper and that is winning a Ones Eliminator tourney.  81 participants.  Only 1 winner.  These games are 1 v 1 v 1 vs. a CPU goalie.  Winners advance.  You must win 4 consecutive round to be the Champion.  As you can imagine, each round gets more difficult as you face other winners.

The good news about it is that the games are quick and you can keep entering tourneys.

Because of this trophy, I would rate the game difficulty more like a 7.5/10.  You should get it though.  They have come so far since NHL 2K7 (I had that game too, one of my initial games for PS3 - no trophies).

Thank you kindly for the response :) In worst case scenario, do you think that trophy is boostable? From the offset it sounds like it is, but I Imagine it's randoms you face against. But I suppose with less and less people playing the game overtime it'd be easily boostable. 

I have purchased the game for nothing as I have EA Access so even if I fail the platinum, I don't lose anything. Thanks for the tips mate :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Yes it's true. I did about 100 tournaments before winning one. I didn't think I would succeed, but I kept pushing. I used a sniper for my loadout.

• Like 2

Just now, MadEdders95 said:

Thank you kindly for the response :) In worst case scenario, do you think that trophy is boostable? From the offset it sounds like it is, but I Imagine it's randoms you face against. But I suppose with less and less people playing the game overtime it'd be easily boostable. 

I have purchased the game for nothing as I have EA Access so even if I fail the platinum, I don't lose anything. Thanks for the tips mate :)

Not boostable.  It is 81 unique players at one time.  Even if you could coordinate that many people wanting to boost (ha), you could not get them to match up together in a single session without real players intermixed.  

It should get easier once the elites move on to NHL 21 (September) but will still take many tries even if you are skilled.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2020 at 11:38 AM, MadEdders95 said:

I think it is boostable, but in no way will it be easy to boost it. You need 2 active players, and not just 2 controllers. Each person will need multiple accounts, like 3-4 each. You'll pretty much have to play each game in a 2 on 1 situation and pray your opponent isn't godlike at the game. Unlike 19, where you had one some wiggle room and could lose one game and still maintain your standing, in 20 your tournament ends. So you'll have to play a bunch of games bringing you and all your alt accounts to round 2, and then so on to the finals. I did it like this in NHL 19, but it's harder to do now. 

For a long time I thought it wasn't possible to do this in 20, but I found out if you close the entire game while searching for your next opponent, you can maintain your position so it's definitely possible. So there is an easier alternative than losing 150 times before finally winning game 4, if you can even manage to do that

• Like 1

As people said the Ones eliminator (and possibly Threes eliminator, but this one is easier due to being able to recruit 2 good players alongside you) are the platinum stoppers. Rest is just a huge grind with 100 free packs being the longest, since you cant speed it up. Can open one pack every 23 hours.

However the Ones eliminator got significantly easier since the game became available on EA access (due to being more "new" players) but it's still not easy by any means.

• Like 2