YORGOS_PB

Finally bought an external drive for my PS4, should I worry about Loading Times?

10 posts in this topic

After a thousand years I decided to buy en external drive for my PS4, and the idea is to move/download the heavy games there. 

My question is: anyone here knows for sure if there's a loading difference?, a notable difference per se. Should I instead run the heavy games from my console and the lighter ones from the external drive?

Then comes to mind a completely different problem, the only big deal I've had with loading times: Monster Hunter World. It's the only game that takes a decade to load everything and I've never known why; I've dust-cleaned my PS4 3 times in the last years and done the (useless imo) cache refresh thing a bunch of times. 

I’ve been doing this for a long time: pretty much all my games are on there. If there is a difference it is in no way an issue. The HD in the PS4 is a cheap piece of crap, your external one might actually be faster (although you wouldn’t notice that either probably). So go for it!

Thanks mate, having all the heavy games in there really brings my hopes up

The external drive will be usb 3.0. If anything it might be faster than the internal, not slower

Ive personally noticed slightly quickly loading times on my PS4 to my external HDD but nothing major major.

I tend to download + install everything onto my external anyways due to it being 4TB but then when im looking into playing a game fully, i move it from the External onto the PS4 actual.

For massive games or online stuff (Like the new Modern Warfare) i leave that on the external cause sod have a 200+GB game on my Ps4.

USB 3 would be faster than PS4 original internal i think by numbers. 

USB3 up to 5Gbps

Ps4 Sata II internal up to 3Gbps

Ps4 Pro Sata III internal up to 6Gbps

I didn't know that the PS4 would be so slow in comparison to 3.0.

What about discs with downloaded DLC? (my MHW example), it might depend on the game I guess

I've got a 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD as the internal drive and a 4TB Seagate 2,5" HDD as an external drive and I don't really notice any meaningful differences in load speed between the drives. I'm sure if I actually benchmarked them the SSHD would be faster but real-world differences seem to be quite small. I usually install the biggest AAA games on the internal drive and everything else on the external one.

I am using an external HDD and the speed is good... I'd say maybe a little better than the stock internal drive. Mine is a Toshiba 6 TB 7200 RPM desktop drive put into a USB enclosure. The internal one I now use just for saves.

Well, mine was a regular Seagate 2Tb and it feels about the same. 

Maybe just maybe some games are loading a tiny bit faster, like Battlefield 1