Fight Stick

DividedByMankind

Hi. People that are good at fighting games. Is it easier with a fight stick than a actual controller?

I am not that good at fighting games. Especially understanding controller map lay outs.

I have started a game long time ago called Battlefantasia, lets say if i was to get a PS3 fighting stick, will this game be easier in understanding the lay out than a actual ps3 controller? 

and if so, any good recomendations on fight sticks?

thanks.

Edited by DividedByMankind

You mean an Arcade Stick. There's various kinds you can get, including hitboxes that don't have a stick. But no, if you're not great at fighters, an arcade stick won't help and will likely be more of a learning curve to get into fighting games than a controller is. Unless you have actually had experience using one and know for a fact you can pull off the moves easier with one, but there is no reason to go out on expenses if it's just a "will this make fighting games easier for me?"  because no it won't. It'll definitely make doing combos easier down the line after you have got used to it, but I would get the basics learnt via a controller first, then if you get decent at fighting games on controller, think of investing in an Arcade Stick.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DEMON said:

You mean an Arcade Stick. There's various kinds you can get, including hitboxes that don't have a stick. But no, if you're not great at fighters, an arcade stick won't help and will likely be more of a learning curve to get into fighting games than a controller is. Unless you have actually had experience using one and know for a fact you can pull off the moves easier with one, but there is no reason to go out on expenses if it's just a "will this make fighting games easier for me?"  because no it won't. It'll definitely make doing combos easier down the line after you have got used to it, but I would get the basics learnt via a controller first, then if you get decent at fighting games on controller, think of investing in an Arcade Stick.

ok. Thank you.

An Arcade stick won't magically make you better. You need to invest lots of time with it to learn it well. If you not gonna play lots of fighting games i don't suggest getting one. I play many fighting games, im just used to controller. 

I personally have the Hori fighting commander controller. Really nice one. Its not as expensive as a stick either 

Edited by Vergil

Honestly no, a fight stick does not make you a better player. It depends on what you're comfortable with, if you have trouble with button placement on a regular controller, it will be worse with a stick as you have no muscle memory for it.

However, IF you practice a lot it might be better for you in the longo run, but it takes effort.

That said, if you want to try one get a Hori Fight Stick Mini, its very cheap compared to other sticks and youll be able to see if you like how it feels.

Edited by JavaNext
  • Like 1

I was in the same situation as you, being a bit unsure on whether or not I wanted to stay with a stick so I ended up buying a cheapo one to see if I enjoyed the new feel of using a stick vs a controller. Decade later I have like 5 random sticks laying around and have built a couple lmfao. They definitely didn't make me better inherently, but I really, really enjoyed the way it felt playing fighting games using a stick over a pad after I adjusted. 

Some recs for cheapo sticks that can be easily modded to get better parts (which is what I did with my first stick): Mayflash F300/F500, Qanba Drone.

• Like 1