Strategy game recommendations?

Barbeqmeister

Hi, as a former strategy game addict who switched over from PC two years back I'm looking into returning to the genre on PS4. What games work well on console? I already bought Stellaris and Railway Empire and got Cities Skylines from PS Plus, and have been waiting on Civ VI to get on sale. Are there any other titles I've missed?

5 hours ago, grizflips said:

I'm far from an expert on the matter but I really enjoyed Nobunaga's Ambition, both Sphere of Influence and Ascension. While both games have some issues at times, they were enjoyable experiences overall.

Looks interesting, it's like a mix of Shogun 2 Total War and Paradox grand strategies. Never heard of the game before

I found it cheap on UK amazon (of all places), now I'll just wait few weeks for it to arrive

I don't have a ton of experience with strategy games, but I recently completed Darkest Dungeon. The game sure is more complex than it appears at first, and can be pretty unforgiving. The DLC is kinda "meh", but the main game sure was a lot of fun ?

The complete edition has been offered for a pretty low price quite recently, too, in case you want to wait for a good deal. 

Not exactly sure if that's your jam, since it doesn't compare to any of the titles you mentioned in the OP, but might be worth looking into it. It's more a turn-based roguelike RPG, but I'd classify it as a "stategy game", at least partially. 

Edited by Arcesius

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

I don't have a ton of experience with strategy games, but I recently completed Darkest Dungeon. The game sure is more complex than it appears at first, and can be pretty unforgiving. The DLC is kinda "meh", but the main game sure was a lot of fun 1f642.png

The complete edition has been offered for a pretty low price quite recently, too, in case you want to wait for a good deal. 

That's more of a roguelike RPG than a strategy game

8 hours ago, Barbeqmeister said:

Hi, as a former strategy game addict who switched over from PC two years back I'm looking into returning to the genre on PS4. What games work well on console? I already bought Stellaris and Railway Empire and got Cities Skylines from PS Plus, and have been waiting on Civ VI to get on sale. Are there any other titles I've missed?

I've not played it yet so I can't comment on its quality but Surviving Mars is a City Builder that I came across when looking for something like this. The Edition with all the DLC is on sale quite a lot too. Looks to me to be very similar to Aven Colony which I have played and would recommend

Jurassic World Evolution is a Park Building Sim which looks great but again I've not actually got around to that one yet.

Then of course as others have said the Tropico Series, I've played 5 but not 6 yet. I enjoyed it but I did find it incredibly frustrating at times. They push this idea of being a dictator but I found it pretty hard staying in power. They'll kick you out for almost anything!

Edited by Cleggworth

2 hours ago, Cleggworth said:

I've not played it yet so I can't comment on its quality but Surviving Mars is a City Builder that I came across when looking for something like this. The Edition with all the DLC is on sale quite a lot too. Looks to me to be very similar to Aven Colony which I have played and would recommend

Jurassic World Evolution is a Park Building Sim which looks great but again I've not actually got around to that one yet.

Then of course as others have said the Tropico Series, I've played 5 but not 6 yet. I enjoyed it but I did find it incredibly frustrating at times. They push this idea of being a dictator but I found it pretty hard staying in power. They'll kick you out for almost anything!

Surviving Mars looks interesting, I'll check it out next time it's on sale.

I actually played Tropico 5 from PS Now and it was just more annoying than fun. I have to agree with you on that

Edited by Barbeqmeister

On 5/21/2020 at 9:07 PM, Barbeqmeister said:

I thought I was the only strategy player left on the site haha.

What sub genre of strategy do you prefer?

Tower defense

McDroid

X-Morph

Defense Grid 2

Turn based

Banner Saga trilogy

Rainbow Moon

Worms series

Mutant Year Zero

Real time

8 Bit Hordes

There's plenty more, but these are the one's I've personally played (on PSN or PC), haven't already been mentioned and aren't on your profile.

Edited by VigilantCrow