FF14 Starter Edition will be Free until the 26th

EDIT:  I have seen it available on the US store now for Free, so it should be available to everyone.  Download and enjoy this fantastic MMO.

It is not yet available currently on the store according to a friend but it should be soon.  If you already have a PS4 account attached you are out of luck, but if not, Score!

Here is a link from where I got this information:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/final-fantasy-xiv-online-starter-edition-for-ps4-free-until-may-26-includes-a-realm-reborn-and-30-day-trial.210534/

Main Source:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/final-fantasy-xiv-online-starter-edition-for-ps4-free-until-may-26

I got the platinum for this back when ARR was out and highly encourage all those to jump on board and give it a try especially with the ARR story changes/shortening soon.  Still play the game on my legacy server (Balmung) to this day =D

Edited by shadowTECnology
  • Like 2

You need to buy Game Time Cards anyways after your Game Time runs out ..

The game itself usually costs around 10€ and Game Time 30 days should be around 10-11€ ..

So here you get the game + 30 days for free :)

Edited by jayboo1991
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, hittheroadbucky said:

Not to sound like an idiot, but what’s the difference with the starter edition? Is it like a trial and you’d need to buy the main game after? Are you able to go for trophies with that version? 1f914.png

It's just the base game without the expansions. All the trophies can be earned with it, but you're not going to earn them all in the free month so you would eventually need to pay the monthly fee.

• Like 3

Hi, saw this in the Shop. Does anybody know: Can I earn Trophies with this and more important: Can I platinum this game in 30 days? Thank you.

Edit: The Guide at this site says 900 hours. Hmm...

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

Hi, saw this in the Shop. Does anybody know: Can I earn Trophies with this and more important: Can I platinum this game in 30 days? Thank you.

Edit: The Guide at this site says 900 hours. Hmm...

It is not possible. You need to do 1k Levequests and the allowances for those are timed. You get 6 leve allowances each day, making it 180 allowances for 30 days if you don't miss any. You start with zero when you create your character. This is the main reason the platinum trophy will take so long and if you read through the roadmap it also says 6 months minimum (1080 allowances at that point).

Edited by Kaleniya
forgot a word =P
  • Like 4

⬆️ This

The 900 hour estimate is vastly overstated but this is still a grind-heavy platinum. By doing just what you need to plat the game you can probably shave it to a third or a quarter of it. Finishing the main scenario quests (MSQ) should take you around 35 to 50 hours, the 100 dungeons clear should take you around 30-40 hours, beating 1000 FATEs can probably be done in 50-60h if done in an area where it can be optimised and the gather jobs trophies are probably going for something like 5 to 8 hours, due to fishing. And add another 20 to 100 hours for the 1000 levequests, depending on which type you choose to do. The craft trophies can be quick if you buy the needed materials on the market board and craft an easy item in bulk with quick synthesis.

The game in itself is great and there's a lot of fun in it, I'd recommend it to anyone seeking a MMORPG. And if you're curious, by all mean use this or the free trial to try it. But if you're thinking of playing it just for the platinum, my advice is don't even bother. It will be a long and boring grindfest and you'll have to pay a few months of subscription in order to complete it, nullifying the free nature of this free promotion.

• Like 3

Awesome game, probably the most enjoyable MMORPG I've played in a long time.  Took a long break but started it back up a week or two ago.  Story drags like hell in the base game (literally just finished it last night), but it ends on a high note and the expansions are supposed to be great.  The combat is some of the smoothest and most enjoyable I've played in an MMORPG, and may be one of the best Final Fantasy games combat-wise (and in general).

If you're looking for an MMORPG, especially now with the quarantines and social distancing and blah blah blah, you could do a lot worse.  Sounds like the platinum is a bit of a nightmare though.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kishnabe said:

The 30 day freebie, does it start as soon as you put it to library? 

Disclaimer: I'm not really sure.  Can't remember the exact steps when I set mine up (but I bought a physical copy which probably came with a code).

But presumably you'll have to create a Square/Mogstation account and/or link your PSN account to it somewhere along the way.  When that happens is likely when the timer starts.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shadowTECnology said:

It is not yet available currently on the store according to a friend but it should be soon.  If you already have a PS4 account attached you are out of luck, but if not, Score!

I had my account linked with the free trial version but i was still able to purchase the starter edition

Edit. It's not showing to my download list and it says unavailable now. So you are probably right

Edited by sephiroth4424

If you're looking at the guide, it is pretty outdated. Crafting and harvesting underwent a change last patch and are now easier and the trophies should come quicker. You're still going to need lots of materials, but the crafting is less complicated and harvesting is quicker. It's a good time to start because there's an event going on that gives rewards for lower level dungeons so there should be plenty of people running the older content.

Just keep in mind the 1000 levequest trophy is going to take a while and you will have to pay a monthly fee if you want to platinum it.

• Like 1

I like to point out, you will lose the option to do the trial if you get this. Why do trial when you can have full game free? Well if you were just after trophy plat. That means you get 1 month free yes with Starter Edition but you will have to sub the rest 5-6months ($80~ give or take) for the 1k levequest trophy. With trial you can play until you are done with the 1k leve quest then buy game foramonth to finish everything else. But its a great game, worth every penny to just play thru and enjoy story. Also do know as a trial player, certain social features and things are limited.

Anyone knows if it's possible to start the Trial now, doing quests and become level 35 and then activate the 30 days of the Starter-Edition in a few weeks or months? So what I mean is: When do the 30 days start?

Edited by TajoniHD
forgotten something

5 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

If I download this now can I still play it after the 26th?

You should be able too.  You get a free 30 day subscription when you download this.  It should activate when you set up your account and link it to your PSN.

1 hour ago, TajoniHD said:

Anyone knows if it's possible to start the Trial now, doing quests and become level 35 and then activate the 30 days of the Starter-Edition in a few weeks or months? So what I mean is: When do the 30 days start?

No, I believe once you get the starter edition, you will be forced to link it to your PSN and the 30 days will automatically start.

Edited by shadowTECnology