Dissapointing length of game

SnowFleurz

14 hours is about a week for me because of work, so that's kinda fine.

What disappoints me is the game is pretty shallow fr reviews I've read. 

Do x thing 10 times, kill x things, collect x things... it just repeats with each level.

I want expecting a blockbuster by any means, but I'll wait til it's cheaper than $40 based on quality alone.

Well you can always just buy then sell after but 10 hours on this game might be perfect, I played couple of hours yesterday and a couple today and enjoying it so far so for me maybe after 10 hours it would get boring and tedious so a shorter length is probably best for this type of game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnowFleurz said:

Seeing as many people finish this platinum in about 7-8 hours, I am very dissapointed in the length of the game.

I was really looking forward to this game, but beeing this short, I'll wait for a sale.

Not every game needs to be 70 hours. I’d rather play a fun 7-12 hour game than a game that just lasts way too long. 

• Like 2

Looking at this another way, list price is $39.99, so if you play it for ten hours, you're paying four bucks an hour for your entertainment.  I wouldn't complain if the ratio of game time to entertainment price was lower, but I don't consider four bucks excessive, either.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

Now I cannot speak to the quality of this game, but as gamers in general, I think that we put too much emphasis on quantity over quality.  It could be only 7-10 hours, but if they are 7-10 very enjoyable hours, than why does it need to be longer?  There are many 80+ hour games that are 3/4 grind, and I am not sure that is actually better, at least in my opinion.

That being said, everyone has their priorities, and should pick the games they want to play however they want.  I just feel that quality should be a part of that choice.

Great point, The last of us was about 10 hours and it was still one of my favorite games this gen.

• Like 3

Took me around 12-14 hours (hard to accurately guess due to losing progress via a bug - which is now supposedly fixed). I thought it was a decent length, it didn't outstay its welcome and the pacing kept me interested throughout - there was no fluff or hours of doing nothing like in some bigger games.

After 112 hours in FFVIIR for the platinum I'm actually looking forward to being able to get through something in roughly 10 hours or less. 

Plus I preordered the MK11 dlc so I'd like to finish before Tuesday if I can, regardless if they add trophies or not to it.

• Like 1

I get what the OP is saying, but really, I agree with what some others are saying here. As long as it's worth it for yourself, there isn't a problem with the length. I personally am quite happy with it because I managed to get into the list of first 50 earners of the Platinum. Honestly, if it wasn't for that, I likely wouldn't of finished it as quickly as I did. I was happy enough swimming around and checking out the world.

My only gripe is I was kind of expecting a little more with the mutations. There's only

Spoiler

three mutation strains in total, four if you count the tiger shark skin some got with the day 1 edition, but that's just a body mutation, no fins or anything.

And for how much you can eat and earn in nutrients for your upgrading, it's just a tad lackluster. I've always been bugged a bit by having a game with some form of currency (in this case of Maneater, it's nutrients) which just starts accumulating over time to the point where it's limitless as you have nothing to use it on anymore. I personally would of preferred having each individual body part gain its own experience to then finally level up/upgrade/evolve when it hits a milestone. Eating certain creatures or apex predators would grant bonus/special nutrients that added to your overall strength and capabilities.

I'm really happy to see another shark game out there other than Jaw's Unleashed which isn't a multiplayer game. But as much as I loved Maneater, and definitely want to see it grow more (no pun intended), I don't think this first game is going to hit enough points with a large enough crowd and critics to bring a sequel. I  hope I am wrong, but... yeah. We've mostly all played the game.

Okami-of-Blood.png

Edited by Okami-of-Blood

I'm about halfway through and I think 7-10 hours in length is a good amount of time for the type of gameplay on offer.

I'm having fun now, but there isn't a huge amount of depth to this game (pardon the pun). And I think that if it pushed into the 20 - 30 hour runtime as many games seem to nowadays - it would outstay its welcome and become tedious.

Whether the 7-10 hours justifies the price, is another question entirely ?

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

I think it has the perfect length. My story progression is at 75% and I have ~80% of the collectibles from the areas where I was so far and my playtime is at 10 hours and 35 minutes. 

I enjoy this game a lot, but I definitely don’t want to play it for 30 or 40 hours.

• Like 2