Opinions on Hidden Trophies

Matttrent101

I recently unhid about 18 trophies cause I wanted to fully see my stats. I am a very casual trophy hunter so it doesn't worry me too much of how bad my stats are atm. (slowly improving it though)

I wanted to ask what is your opinion with Hidden Trophies. Do you care if people hide some that they know they will never get the plat on solely so they have a better completion rate? 

I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

I mean, it's a personal choice. Trophy hunting is something we do for ourselves, and trying to turn it into an objective measurement of anything seems silly to me. If you want to hide trophies, go ahead, I think. I have a few Vita games I now find distasteful I wouldn't mind sweeping under the rug, personally, although it has nothing to do with completion for me.

• Like 1

I think it defeats the purpose of trying to improve completion if you hide trophies.  It feels a bit like a kid who "cleans" their room by shoving all the mess into the closet.  Looks nice at first, but quickly crumbles once you look into it more.  I mean, I could get myself the 100% profile I've been working towards by going and hiding all my incomplete games.  However, that would feel empty and just not be as impressive as what I have now with no hidden trophies.

Now bear in mind, I think it's your profile and you can do what you want with it.    If someone wants to hide all their incomplete games and shove that into the closet, that's their deal.  I just think that person should also be aware that others may not think much of the high completion as long as hidden trophies exist.

• Like 2

If they’re gonna do it, that’s fine, but then please never critique someone else’s completion rate on a thread like “rate the profile above you”. Refrain. There are no bragging rights essentially, it’s just a cosmetic aesthetic.

Ive always preferred messy “rooms” myself. 

• Like 1

First of all, I don't care what others do with their profile, but I still have a personal opinion on the matter. This is a site primarily centered around statistics. Hidden games result in fake statistics, so I would never hide a game. If I see another player's profile and they have hidden games, I just don't consider their stats to have any meaning whatsoever. 

What about cheated games? Well, those also falsify 'legit' statistics, so hiding those reflect the statistics of legitimately earned trophies, even though it's still not perfect, as you cannot hide individual trophies, only entire games. 

Now, leaving fake statistics and that reasoning behind... I would never hide a game for other reasons as well. The hidden list, as far as I know, doesn't disappear from your playstation, it just disappears here on this page. So it's not like you can "hide the game to not be reminded of it". Furthermore, bad experiences are part of everything we do, so keeping "bad games" on my list is part of the deal for me. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Matttrent101 said:

Do you care if people hide some that they know they will never get the plat on solely so they have a better completion rate? 

That’s only one reason people may have hidden trophies, not the only reason. 

If that is a reason, no, I don’t care. 

People can do as they wish with their profiles, it largely doesn't effect me. As has been said before, trophy hunting is a personal exercise, people can participate using the tools available as they see fit. For my part, there are a couple games I've considered hiding simply because I don't own them any more or otherwise can't play them. But I'd like to attempt reacquiring them first.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:11 AM, Arcesius said:

First of all, I don't care what others do with their profile, but I still have a personal opinion on the matter. This is a site primarily centered around statistics. Hidden games result in fake statistics, so I would never hide a game. If I see another player's profile and they have hidden games, I just don't consider their stats to have any meaning whatsoever. 

What about cheated games? Well, those also falsify 'legit' statistics, so hiding those reflect the statistics of legitimately earned trophies, even though it's still not perfect, as you cannot hide individual trophies, only entire games. 

Now, leaving fake statistics and that reasoning behind... I would never hide a game for other reasons as well. The hidden list, as far as I know, doesn't disappear from your playstation, it just disappears here on this page. So it's not like you can "hide the game to not be reminded of it". Furthermore, bad experiences are part of everything we do, so keeping "bad games" on my list is part of the deal for me. 

This is treading a line.

I've seen a number of profiles with around a 95 - 98 percent completion rate, but with 1 - 10 hidden trophies. They could be games that someone else put on their account or they are games they didn't like and have no intention of ever finishing. Realistically, their actual completion rate is around 92 - 95 percent, because games that are 1 - 5 percent done take a huge hit to their finished/unfinished ratio.

Profiles with a few thousand trophies but with 100 - 1000+ of them hidden is a big red flag. I think the record that I've seen is over 5000 hidden trophies. Why would you hide that many? What purpose does that serve? If you're hiding a couple dozen trophies, I don't really care all too much. But a few thousand trophies? There's some suspicion there.

There's a few people here with several hundred hidden trophies and that completely destroys the intention of having an account with a good completion rate. The thing is, your account probably has a bad completion rate from all those hidden games and trophies. So if I were to rate someone's profile and they have a ton of hidden trophies they are already docked several points.

Our trophy profiles should reflect our history. What we succeeded in, what we failed at, what we finished, what we left behind and moved on. Having a bunch of hidden trophies is fooling yourself more than anything else.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 4

I don't do it, but i can see why some people would if they have an embarrassing game they want to hide from their friends that they secretly like. I play a lot of otome games which I'm not embarrassed about at all so I show my trophies, but I do know a few fellow otome game players who are and hence hide the trophies so that no one knows they play those kinds of games.