Side Quest Markers

So I'm in Chapter 14... after getting a little fed up with the game, I took a break and now with the long weekend I'm thinking I may pick it back up and at least try to finish the story one time through.

One of my biggest frustrations with the game is the side quests.  The quest markers/compass typically don't point to where you need to go, it points to the NPC who gave you the quest.  What's the point of that exactly?  I see the marker, I talk to them again, they give me the same "this is what you gotta do" spiel, and nothing of value is accomplished.  Right now I'm doing this search for chocobos and from what I can tell the game has no indication of where these chocobo's are.  So I've been running around like an idiot between a few different slum's and have come up empty handed.  I don't like to Google search stuff that shouldn't be so complicated, but even the guides I've tried looking up are less than clear where exactly the chocobo's are (rather going into detail about what happens after you find them).

I don't need to know where to find them, eventually I'll piece this totally unnecessary puzzle together and complete this one minor side quest... or just plow through the main story without them as long as it lets me.  But am I missing something really obvious about the side quest markers?  This isn't the first time I've run into this.  Or is it intentionally misleading/non-existent to add to the sense of "exploration"?

Edited by Dreakon13

27 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Right now I'm doing this search for chocobos and from what I can tell the game has no indication of where these chocobo's are.

All the locations are marked on the map, just make sure you check each sector.

Had no issues whatsoever with completing the side quests, the requirements are straight forward and no guide or google is needed.

3 hours ago, xDevilizer said:

All the locations are marked on the map, just make sure you check each sector.

Had no issues whatsoever with completing the side quests, the requirements are straight forward and no guide or google is needed.

Maybe you could help me out then... this is the only marker I have for Chocobo Search.  It's the NPC who gave me the quest.  There's nothing more I can get from him, and nothing on any part of the map is indicating where I need to go.  I've checked every inch of it, and every map on the list.

6KJRjNj.png

Edited by Dreakon13

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

So I'm in Chapter 14... after getting a little fed up with the game, I took a break and now with the long weekend I'm thinking I may pick it back up and at least try to finish the story one time through.

One of my biggest frustrations with the game is the side quests.  The quest markers/compass typically don't point to where you need to go, it points to the NPC who gave you the quest.  What's the point of that exactly?  I see the marker, I talk to them again, they give me the same "this is what you gotta do" spiel, and nothing of value is accomplished.  Right now I'm doing this search for chocobos and from what I can tell the game has no indication of where these chocobo's are.  So I've been running around like an idiot between a few different slum's and have come up empty handed.  I don't like to Google search stuff that shouldn't be so complicated, but even the guides I've tried looking up are less than clear where exactly the chocobo's are (rather going into detail about what happens after you find them).

I don't need to know where to find them, eventually I'll piece this totally unnecessary puzzle together and complete this one minor side quest... or just plow through the main story without them as long as it lets me.  But am I missing something really obvious about the side quest markers?  This isn't the first time I've run into this.  Or is it intentionally misleading/non-existent to add to the sense of "exploration"?

When you go to ride a chocobo at one the signs, the missing chocobos are shown on the map that appears then.

chocobo-locations-bfd36.jpg

The first Chocobo is the one at the top of the map, on the way to Aerith's church.

The second Chocobo is  near the church where you landed after escaping Aerith's church. 

The third Chocobo is hiding in the tunnels leading through the Sector 6 Slums.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SHADOW_MONKEY83 said:

When you go to ride a chocobo at one the signs, the missing chocobos are shown on the map that appears then.

25 minutes ago, xDevilizer said:

The first Chocobo is the one at the top of the map, on the way to Aerith's church.

The second Chocobo is  near the church where you landed after escaping Aerith's church. 

The third Chocobo is hiding in the tunnels leading through the Sector 6 Slums.

Thank you, I guess I was checking the wrong map.  Didn't even know there was a Chocobo map since I've never really bothered to use it before.

How about this...

5cnzIQ8.png

Woman tells me to talk to Kyrie, but the map marker continues to point to the woman.  She has nothing new to tell me if I talk to her again... just talk to Kyrie.  In this case, maybe I'm just supposed to wander aimlessly until I find her.  I doubt there's a special map for every quest.

Keep in mind, I'm not necessarily looking for answers to these quests (though knowing about the Chocobo map is handy).

I'm just saying I think the system is kinda messed up.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 minutes ago, xDevilizer said:

*hint ?

Christians usually go there on Sundays.

The Church?

That's fine if that's where I need to go, but either put the map marker there or take it off IMO.  The compass is a cluttered mess of map markers trying to direct me to NPC's with nothing left to offer me.

Edited by Dreakon13

5 minutes ago, xDevilizer said:

There are some events that will lead you to discover her there, not sure if you encounter them or not, don’t want to spoil anything. 

That's ok, I'm not necessarily looking for solutions to the quests.

Just venting because I think the vagueness and mystery surrounding what you need to do and where you need to go with the side quests in general is a bit unnecessary.  And leaving map markers on useless NPC's doubly so.

Edited by Dreakon13

You mentioned "the compass". If you press L2 a mini-map will pop-up instead of the compass. Doesn't fix the marker thing you talked about, but for me this was a big improvement, since the compass is awful.

(Maybe you already knew, but I discovered only in chapter 14 :D)

• 2 weeks later...