I enjoyed playing this game, but...

• 1 month later...
It's not a good game, but it's a decent low budget game. Initially meant to be a movie, but didn't gather enough money so instead they made a game. It's pretty clear they got a good facial animator, but it's also very clear they have little experience with the Unreal Engine, not that it's that good to begin with, but they've not put too much time into tweaking it properly and there's plenty of glitches because of this etc. The story is 90% taken from an old Chinese story, Journey to the West, hence the name of the game, which has been used a lot of times, perhaps the best example is Dragon Ball. 90% of the personality to these characters can be found in JttW or if you've seen DB, you can see them there. The story is thankfully set in a bit different universe (futuristic, urban, apocalyptic) and there was a couple of cool ideas like exactly why Monkey would follow this girl as opposed to how it is in JttW, but even this is a bit similar. So I wasn't too amazed with the story, for I've seen it many times before, it was very short and the ending somewhat set up for a next game. The soundtrack was okay, there was like a couple of cool tracks, but it's mostly rather cheaply produced and could have been done by a lot of people. Doesn't stand out, nothing really noteworthy. Gameplay was very basic and rough/raw. At least it wasn't horrible with lots of glitches and problems, but I think they played a bit too safe here, but it wasn't a huge problem.

Again, it's a decent low budget game that didn't do anything new or special, just did it's job very basic.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ok I just finished the game and want to throw my two cents here. First Ioved the game and now I think it's one of the best games on the PS3.

Not spoiling anything but holy shit the story is good!

And the gameplay really reminded me of games on PS2.

Very reminiscent of J&D and Jak 2.

The checkpoints were shoddy at times but nothing too harsh.

And the camera was really bad at points.

I think I'll have to buy Heavenly Sword now.

Ninja Theory nailed it with this one.

• 4 months later...

I played the game on X360 and enjoyed it a lot. Yeah the gameplay is bland but the graphics and feeling of adventure make up for it in my eyes (something more people in this thread said, and incidentally the same way I feel about the first three Uncharted games).

I'm thinking about playing this game again on PS3, it's how I found this thread actually. The game was gifted to me by a friend and I've always thought I'd replay it at some point (I 'dove' the game a year ago, as in obtaining one trophy in it so it would appear on my card) but I never made time for it. Might just do so now.

Quite the variety of opinions. My opinion is that the game is fantastic and checks all of the boxes of what I love in a game - it has an immersive atmosphere, evocative characters, an interesting story, and varied gameplay.  Of the three games I've played by Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword and DmC being the other two), Enslaved is my favorite by far.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I just came back to plat this a few months ago, and got the 100% on psnow just this week. And man - this game seemed a LOT better in 2011. Best left in the past.

I just started Shadow Of The Colossus today. Talk about dated...

Enslaved is still on my backlog; as said I played it years ago on X360 and I got it along with the PS3 and some other games from a friend. Never gotten around to this specific game though. Was actually in doubt about starting it today but I figured a game I never played before should go first.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some of the orbs (collectables) are kind of glitchy. I played through 4 hours of the game when I encountered an orb glitch and just decided it wasn't worth the hassle as I would have to  e super caucious and backing up my save constantly as there's a lot of orbs to collect so I didn't sync it to my profile, and never continued playing... Shame really as it is a visually beautiful game

• Like 1

• 2 years later...