For this community, isn't it a good thing that you have to grind for trophies?

Fangsterr

Isn't it more satisfying knowing that you obtained a plat trophy that only had a 0.5% obtain-rate vs one that had a 30% obtain rate?

Yet in so many games I've heard of players hating on developers for making the trophies a grind.

Edited by Fangsterr

I can actually be ok with grind requirement if it's not required only for trophy but for the game mechanics itself, like:

Final Fantasy X - grinding for all grid spheres or grinding for level 99 in Kingdom Hearts

but if grinding is required purely only to get a trophy it's bad trophy design - I'm looking at you Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni which requires you to get 5m exp total, while you need about 2m to max out every character.

Edited by brejdak93
  • Like 1

I do not find it satisfying AT ALL!

I would rather improve my skills doing challenges or online stuff rather than repeat the same process over and over and over again without improving.

Case and point, as @Paramnesiac86 mentioned : MK9 (god have mercy on your soul)

Getting the 300 levels of the tower is fun, challenging, you learn how to shoot as Stryker, also hidden fight 1 is tough but it forces you to get better, to find strategies etc.

MY KUNG FU IS STRONGER : Hurr durr spam the same move vs a 2nd controller 10000000 times with each character.

Yes there are some fun grind games but they are kinda rare. But overall, grinding is not a fun experience for many just because of the monotony. There are only so many videos to see on youtube before you go insane xD 

• Like 2

Depends on the grind. For example, grinding on Disgaea D2 and destroying the Pringer X was sooooo satisfying. The game mechanics and stats revolves around grinding to make a super badass so having to grind in something like this makes sense. Although it's time-consuming and can get boring at times, you feel rewarded for your efforts in the end.

On the other hand, you have trophies like Bloodlust on FFIX where you could literally do everything else in the game, have everyone on level 99, and still be at the halfway mark. The trophy is mind-numbing and adds nothing to the game. It just makes you play the game for an extra several hours.

I like grindy trophies when they make sense with the length of the game. Otherwise, it's just a bad trophy. Haha.

• Like 1

Best example is super Bomberman R, you gotta grind 1million blocks destroyed, such a ridiculous grind, You most likely will have everything else done, might not even be halfway to that and on top no stat tracking whatsoever.

some grinds can be good but some like I mentioned above are just so unnecessary 

Edited by Conker
  • Like 2

I don't mind grinding at all.  Before I became interested in trophies I actually set myself the goal of reaching rank 1000 in GTA V online so after doing that no grind I've come up against since can compare/faze me.  Now that I'm much more trophy focused I'd rather have a long grindy trophy that I know I'll earn eventually if I put the time in as opposed to a frustrating skill based one that I possibly may never get and will be irritated no end in trying to accomplish.   

• Like 3

There really is no "yes" or "no", some people like grinding and seeing a trophy  being rare, other just want numbers, others don't care etc, I didn't like Spiderman 2018 for how common the plat is and decided to avoid buying it, just like you'll find others that don't care about that and bought the games with no problems.

2 hours ago, Fangsterr said:

Isn't it more satisfying knowing that you obtained a plat trophy that only had a 0.5% obtain-rate vs one that had a 30% obtain rate?

Yet in so many games I've heard of players hating on developers for making the trophies a grind.

Rarity:

9 out of 10 Platinums are Ultra rare, so don't worry about the stats of this wedsite or you'll go insane.  I see so many worrying about leaderboards, quantity, rarity, etc when in the end this website only tracks a handful of players.  Again, shit is the definition of pointless. 

I say the only things that are alright to worry about are Completition and milestones, you don't need to no life, go out of your way too much to do those and more importantly, they are solely focused on you. 

Grind/ Difficulty:

No trophy should require the player to no life the game, play the game in a super unnatural way, etc to get.  So do make your voices heard but be decent about it. 

• Like 3

I don’t really care about trophy rarity, gaming is a hobby so as long as I find the game fun I don’t care if the play is 90% or 0.5% 

As for a grind it kind of depends on the game. I don’t mind a grind but if a game is going to force me to spend hundreds of hours doing mindless tasks for one trophy then I value my time more than a plat nobody but me cares about. Also for grind to be worth it to me there has to be some kind of reward for it or some reason to do it. I’m not going to grind just for the sake of it if I’ve already 100% a game but I’m still miles off the plat 

• Like 1

I can actually enjoy a grind if it adds something, like e.g. levelling up a character to be able to take on a boss, or making it easier to get through certain parts of a game if you lack the skill, making it a choice between long or hard...

(Some of this sounds so wrong ?)

But if it's just randomly thrown in to artificially lengthen a game or just because of poor game design, then it is not only a chore, but a sign of how lazy and incompetent a game developer can be. It certainly puts me off (or at least keeps me sceptic) towards further titles they bring out.

So in short it all depends on the setting and the reason... 

Well I just finished the card sharp trophy in Mafia 2 after starting nearly 8 years ago and it’s not that it was hard just very tedious and far to many posters lol. Now there’s even more in the remaster so yeah grinds do suck also the collecting film reels in La Noire there’s just to many, but I guess that will always happen in the open world games 

Depends on the game. I can be sort of disappointed if a game I absolutely adore doesn't really require a grind, Persona 5 Royal for example. I want to keep playing, but after the platinum, you don't really need a second or third playthrough. Although with the level I'm at, I can't say that I don't enjoy a quick easy plat. 

Bottom line: bad, mediocre, good and great games are ones I'd rather not grind on, Brilliant games I want to grind on.

I don't mind a grind if the grind is something that actually allows me to make progress in the game.  I dislike grinds that add pointless gameplay after you have beaten the game and done everything else that needs to be done.  Even more so if the grind is made to be excessively tedious or difficult.

For example, I didn't mind grinding in Exist Archive.  In that game the hardest trophies are the speedruns, so by the time you finish the grind for everything else, you have more than enough levels to handle the speedruns in the time needed for the last few trophies.  On top of that it gives plenty of stuff to do, so you don't feel like you're mindlessly grinding.  Instead you grind while working on other tasks like 100%ing the dungeons and wrapping up the post game dungeon.  That made the grinding feel worthwhile because it helped me to obtain another trophy rather than just padding the gameplay time  What is pointless is something like Sorcery Saga where you have to grind to level up weapons for the Bookworm trophy.  Nothing wrong with a trophy to collect all items, but this one required you to use every weapon to kill a bunch of monsters to fully level each up.  That is just pointless grinding.