State of Play’s next episode is dedicated to The Last of Us Part II

Must admit it's a brave decision from Sony and ND. Hopefully it pays off for them, since without boarding the Hate Train I'm still hoping the game will be one to remember. To be honest I think a lot of games sound lame when you sum up the plot in five sentences on a Reddit thread. There's so much more to a game than just plain text and I hope to see some more promising stuff!

• Like 2

Just now, brejdak93 said:

You made a little mistake in a title - was wondering why they gonna talk about first TLoU on State of Play 

"We've heard the requests for more info on PS5, so today... lets talk about a game that came out in 2013!"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Everz00 said:

Must admit it's a brave decision from Sony and ND. Hopefully it pays off for them, since without boarding the Hate Train I'm still hoping the game will be one to remember. To be honest I think a lot of games sound lame when you sum up the plot in five sentences on a Reddit thread. There's so much more to a game than just plain text and I hope to see some more promising stuff!

I still don't understand the hate, suddenly ND turned out to be a sh!t developer from day to night for what reason? I don't know if it is due to Xbox fanboys spreading lies or because that "crunching" thing (that i would die to be able to do and earn as much as then, i work the same and earn less than U$300 hahaha).

Honestly, i more interested on GoTsuchima, but i will buy TLoU2 just because of the hating lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Everz00 said:

Very true! Imagine I said Shadow of the Colossus was "you fight 16 bosses and nothing else, then the game ends." Would sound pretty lame, right? Anything can be made to sound dull and played out if its in bullet points

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

They've been getting progressively worse since the Uncharted series. But i'm not going to waste my time detailing the history timeline. One notable area of their decline in game design has been the multiplayer in every single game since Uncharted 2. Poor balancing is one of the recurring issues in their multiplayer, but it's the microtransactions that seems to be the more generally discussed topic recently, and it's been getting worse continuously every single game release. Their two latest games even have pay to have an advantage and pay to win elements. TLOUPII has omitted an online mode, but it took a unique case internally for what is usually a staple feature in all their game releases for that to happen. (They're still releasing a standalone multiplayer variant based on the game post TLOU2, anyway.)

That's both childish and an unnecessary risk. Just a reminder that there are other people, besides you, who take action exactly like that for things that you dislike or hate, too. Just know that next time you want someone to not support something, or you want to convince someone not to support something you feel doesn't deserve it.

You can just do some sufficient actual research on the game after it releases to see if it's something you might like.

Except that's practically all there is to the game. There's no exposition in-between the boss fights, there's no backstory for the characters or world during the game, there's no character development, no kind of side stories or character interactions and relationships, little to no world-building, a shallow, unnecessary and very poorly utilized open-world, etc. As for TLOUPII, with how far gaming has come, TLOUPII does come across very disappointing based on all the information out there so far, even excluding the spoilers, especially for a sequel and game releasing at the end of this console's generation. It's not reinventing the wheel, it's not pushing the gaming industry forward, etc. Video games like Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2 are far more interesting based on what's been shown and said about them from those developers because of their story concepts and/or what they're doing with gameplay.

While I don't personally agree with your views on SotC, micro-transactions are an industry-wide problem, not just ND. Personally I would rather ND abandon MP modes to their games and put all their efforts into the single player experience, since that has always been the most impressive parts of their work. Uncharted 2 came out at a time when practically every game was given a tacked on MP that didn't really belong, and I think they saw the success of U2 and kept putting in MP to ensure repeat success (even though I don't think that holds up all that well). Not defending that decision, just seeing if can come up with a rationale.

While games that are massively innovating like Cyberpunk and Ghost are much more eye-catching and will likely have a wide variety of things to offer, a game doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be a good game. Simply honing what worked with the first game to a finer degree can be enough. 

1 hour ago, nrs1nrs1 said:

While I don't personally agree with your views on SotC,

I mean, those are facts about SotC.

micro-transactions are an industry-wide problem, not just ND. Personally I would rather ND abandon MP modes to their games and put all their efforts into the single player experience, since that has always been the most impressive parts of their work. Uncharted 2 came out at a time when practically every game was given a tacked on MP that didn't really belong, and I think they saw the success of U2 and kept putting in MP to ensure repeat success (even though I don't think that holds up all that well). Not defending that decision, just seeing if can come up with a rationale.

Yes, but 1. Mts are a far bigger issue in certain games than others. 2. A lot of single player games completely lack them or just leave it to cosmetics.

Naughty Dog are completely guilty of the first point. The underlying fact is that if other companies can leave multiplayer out of their true single player games (including sequels, not just new IPs), then Naughty Dog can as well, especially with the praise their "story"/games get and the revenue they receive, the latter of which makes it more absurd that they've gone off the deep end with the mts in TLOU and U4.

While games that are massively innovating like Cyberpunk and Ghost are much more eye-catching and will likely have a wide variety of things to offer, a game doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be a good game.

I understand that. I don't need all the games I play to be very innovative, but with the precise praise this franchise gets—such as "best game of all time"/"best PlayStation exclusive"—one would think is because it's done something revolutionary with gameplay (because you know, it's a video game product, not a book or movie), like legacy franchises within the same genre, or different genres, that came before it. But that's not the case, the praise comes mostly from strong characterization (mainly, if not just, with the two lead characters) and not a good story but good narrative.

It's at least partially disrespectful to the developers and other franchises that took and take risk and provide unique interactive gameplay experience for the player. What was the point in Resident Evil and Dead Space, as examples, if the third person survival-horror action genre was destined to regress to what is mostly or virtually a thrilling survival movie? 

Simply honing what worked with the first game to a finer degree can be enough. 

If it does enough, possibly. But the, sequel, is adding all these features that have existed for over a decade in the genre and of others: breakable windows, crawling infected, dodging, etc. The first game should have already had the first two features at the very least, especially the second which is a staple in the genre generally.

The overwhelming majority of the excitement surrounding the game comes purely from the game being a sequel to the critically acclaimed The Last of Us, rather than it appearing to be a really fun and/or unique game in its own right.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

That's both childish and an unnecessary risk. Just a reminder that there are other people, besides you, who take action exactly like that for things that you dislike or hate, too. Just know that next time you want someone to not support something, or you want to convince someone not to support something you feel doesn't deserve it.

You can just do some sufficient actual research on the game after it releases to see if it's something you might like.

I understand what you mean but i just don't care about what the internet community says about games anymore, since CoD Ghosts, that i really love,  suffered an disgusting and unnecessary backlash.

What i see is people whining about the crunch and spoilers, because it is aparently, "too woke" or full of "gender vitimism", and even if it is the case ( i also hate those progressist propaganda and vitimism), people are instantly turning ND as a scumbag company for no reason, thats what i see, i think it is a great move to focus on SP, that is what they are good on, and what i personaly care.

Yes, but 1. Mts are a far bigger issue in certain games than others. 2. A lot of single player games completely lack them or just leave it to cosmetics.

Naughty Dog are completely guilty of the first point. The underlying fact is that if other companies can leave multiplayer out of their true single player games (including sequels, not just new IPs), then Naughty Dog can as well, especially with the praise their "story"/games get and the revenue they receive, the latter of which makes it more absurd that they've gone off the deep end with the mts in TLOU and U4.

This is true, the MTs cosmetic parts of U4 and TLoU are fine (as in other games) but those ridiculous itens they include that obviously are game changers, are stupid and should be abolished from all games. Any game that also create weapons/itens, that are unlocked by level, also bothers me, unless it is not a PvP thing, people in a 50+ lv will obviously have more advantage than people in lv10.

I understand that. I don't need all the games I play to be very innovative, but with the precise praise this franchise gets—such as "best game of all time"/"best PlayStation exclusive"—one would think is because it's done something revolutionary with gameplay (because you know, it's a video game product, not a book or movie), like legacy franchises within the same genre, or different genres, that came before it. But that's not the case, the praise comes mostly from strong characterization (mainly, if not just, with the two lead characters) and not a good story but good narrative.

It's at least partially disrespectful to the developers and other franchises that took and take risk and provide unique interactive gameplay experience for the player. What was the point in Resident Evil and Dead Space, as examples, if the third person survival-horror action genre was destined to regress to what is mostly or virtually a thrilling survival movie? 

For me atleast, games are about having fun, and some games are focused on gameplay, as others are more in narrative, so games like RE games, are more famous by its mechanics in survival horror, that's why RE5 and RE6 are so hated, because people misunderstood those games. Uncharted and TLoU are beloved by the experience it gives to the players, more than its gameplay, let's be honest, Uncharted mechanics was innovative, but also really bad, the cover and shoulder shooting was great, but the aim reticle or crosshair, was a real downside, and also the clumsy nathan movements and lack speed was unfun, but overall, it was a great experience, TLoUs did great improvements from Uncharted, and was a really fun stealth experience, mainly on Hard modes.

What is happening with other companies like Ubsoft, EA and Bethesda, is that people are realising that they are doing little to nothing when it comes to innovation in their games, look to Assassins Creed or Fallout, games that are just the same again, with nothing really incredible on them. EA literally killing franchises and dooing poor polished games like Fifa, NFS Heat, BF V, etc. Look to all disapointments we had this generation, i don't think that, besides the garbage MP, ND did a great job in their games.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, nrs1nrs1 said:

yeah cause you posted unprompted spoilers for no other reason than to repeat the same overused "joke"

Thank you, I’ve been seeing so much negativity lemme guess it was a joke either about golf or used the term ma’am... people suck but I’m still excited for this and Ghost of Tsushima!

Edited by Br1anstrike3K
Because
  • Like 2

just finished it, I was pretty satisfied with what I saw. 

Just now, BlackTorito said:

That was brutal, I felt that stabbing to the throat on my own.

So much for people saying animations were scripted.

I felt bad, all she wanted to do was max out Rise's social link in Persona 4: Golden and she got a knife in the throat like cmon ?

• Like 1