Are You Against Crossplay?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Are you against crossplay?

• 100% Yes
    • 100% No
    • I don't mind crossplay but I prefer it
    • I don't mind crossplay but I don't prefer it
    • 50/50 Yes and No

I'm all for cross play, the way I see it is that cross play brings more players together and can sustain a community longer. Also, not all my friends are ps4 players and many are on pc, so it  would be nice to still be able to play multiplayer games with them despite using different systems.

i don't mind playing against xbox players since it's a level playing field for the most part, but when switch/ios/xbox/ps4/pc players are all in the same pool (or most combinations of those) then you're just asking for trouble. It's not going to be fair and people are going to get pissed and yada yada yada. pc sticking with pc and consoles sticking with consoles and mobile sticking with mobile is my preferred matchmaking setup for 99% of games... but I don't really do multiplayer so my vote shouldn't be worth too much haha

• Like 1

I can only agree when it's about racing & fighting games.

Fps is a big NO. Headshot with a mouse is 100x easier than using your right analog.

Games such as World War Z they already have a plan for cross play. I just hope that the PVP part won't be of it. Only applies for the story mode co-op .

• Like 1

Even if I voted myself on this topic I always read it as "Are you against COSPLAY?" and I am...what do you guys have against Jessica Nigri?

ANYWAY..ehm...yeah CROSSPLAY. As it was mentioned before, crossplay would be super fun HOWEVER! Apart from the obvious PC FPS players would kick console ass into oblivion and back and the cheaters who will glitch through all maps...PC doesn't abide to the same rules as consoles.

For instance, the best example : Street Fighter V. This game is Crossplay between PS4 and PC. Versus PS4 I didn't have any issues in terms of connectivity, maybe some hiccups or whatnot.

VERSUS PC : LAG FOR DAYS, lagSWITCH for days (I know how lagswitch works, I can tell a bad connection from a "bad" connection), TAS bots (which are fun to fight but you cannot win at all) and many many more. 

Soooo yeahhh...although it sounds good, console vs pc crossplay can't be applied properly yet. Any east european with the very legit uTorrent program on can tickle the connection. Console vs console...sure. PS vs XBOX is always a nice battleground.

• Like 1

It sounds like a common factor for 100% against here is advantages that PC players have in their control scheme. Regarding hackers, I don't think that is inherently a flaw in cross-play, but I get it -- nobody wants to play against that.

FWIW in games that support mouse and keyboard on console I think this point is a little hollow. If you want what they have, you can do it. That said, I understand the frustration with the lack of parity in the case of Overwatch and others that don't allow this. Haven't heard pro or modded controllers mentioned though -- even if you're only against console players you're going to have a control scheme disadvantage in FPS on a stock controller versus players with back paddles/buttons who can jump and slide without releasing control of either stick. Such controllers are officially licensed by Sony and Microsoft these days so it isn't even an analog hack. Heck, if you play Default scheme instead of Tactical in CoD you've allowed a general mobility disadvantage (you can't slide/crouch/prone while looking around). Plus ping/internet speed differentials. The playing field will never quite be level.

I suppose I can't see why anyone is 100% against cross-play as a concept since when done "correctly" you should have control over your own competitive experience, and this would be blanket elimination of cross co-op experiences. You can't imagine a single situation when you would want to play a game on your Playstation with a friend, family member, significant other, or boosting partner who doesn't have one? But that's why these are opinions. Just my 2 cents (second post, 4 cents?).

Still:

On 5/25/2020 at 8:25 PM, Ya_Boy_James said:

Cross-play could be better than it is.

As others have said before me, It helps with maintaining an ageing game increasing longevity. I'm all for crossplay with consoles but not consoles/pc.

There are games which favour a mouse keyboard combo i.e DOOM and give what i feel, an unfair advantage to the pc gamer. I have a pc and laptop but i prefer console gaming. I doubt we'll ever get 100% console crossplay but we can but dream

On 5/25/2020 at 8:25 PM, Ya_Boy_James said:

I do wish players and developers hadn't had to lead the push for cross though. While I'm Playstation all the way, Sony was less cooperative than Microsoft in supporting this... I believe Sony has the superior console, titles, and network this gen but their defense of that advantage (some might call it business, some might call it corporate greed) has spawned some less friendly decisions for the player on a few counts imo. Cross-play could be better than it is.

In Sony's defense, Microsoft was more against crossplay last gen with their early lead and the PS3's slow start.

The leading platform any given gen would be inherently against it, since if all your friends play on PS4, Sony wants you buying a PS4 too... not an Xbox One or a PC.  Why open the door and help the competition?  Where the platforms that are falling behind may have smaller userbases and less control over that, and probably need the good PR of consumer friendly features more anyways.  The good will that Microsoft earned this generation advocating for cross-play and backwards compatibility and Game Pass being such a good value will pay dividends next gen IMO.  Where Sony's stinginess may work against them. 

EDIT: To answer the OP, I am 100% for crossplay.  All I want is to be able to play with my friends, and I don't really play any twitch heavy shooters, so yeah.  PC and PS4 crossplay in FF14 works great. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

XBONE / PS4 should have already been a thing. No point keeping these communities separate (Sony's fault, I know).

and yet Sony had more crossplay titles on PS3 than MS had with the 360. MS was also the first company on record to deny crossplay support for a game and lose access to the game entirely but it's Sony's fault.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:21 PM, Helyx said:

Cross-play with other Playstation platforms, yes. Cross-play with PC, no.

This.

No idea what the argument against cross-play with other Consoles is.  Seems petty to be against.  Why not build up the player base. 

• Like 1

I don't agree that crossplay is this shining feature of all features that should be in everything. Some people so desperately want it, with a passion that drives them to ignore the downsides.

I don't want to become a farm animal for KBM players. There are also games where I would really really hesitate to be connected to PCs at all and be exposed to whatever hacking, cheating, modding, bots, scrips, macros they use.

Being able to play with friends on other systems is great. But PC crossplay is also dangerous and should be something we can turn off.

Crocodile tears when I saw M.S cry (the trailblazers of paid subscriptions for online MP) that not having cross-play is anti-consumer. Holler at me when Xbox Gold and PS+ are rescinded, then I might take this debate seriously and not find that it helps ameliorate the sales and platform experience for no.3 of the console wars.

Edited by Eraezr

Yes crossplay is totally fucked for several reasons, The most obvious and destructive is PC cheaters. The second is that the publishers can lie their asses off in fake sales figures. The third is the same as the first PC cheaters/modders.

• Like 2