NekoRave

Paper Mario on PS4

20 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed it on PC. A definite pick-up on PS4 for me.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Glad this finally got its own forum. Been waiting for this for a year now. Calling it "Paper Mario on PS4" isn't wrong, but it feels like it doesn't do the game justice.

Edited by Helyx
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Helyx said:

Glad this finally got its own forum. Been waiting for this for a year now. Calling it "Paper Mario on PS4" isn't wrong, but it feels like it doesn't do the game justice.

The game is phenomenal im just hoping more people realize theres a paper mario esq game so fans of that sort of game can flock and hope to fund a sequel 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been excited for this game since it released on PC. Definitely a day one purchase. However, I can also see this being one of those games where I don't want it to be thought of simply as a Paper Mario type game, although it's a really good marketing tactic and way to get attention. It's like how saying Hollow Knight is 2D Dark Souls robs it a little bit of its quality.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FinalMiracle13 said:

I have been excited for this game since it released on PC. Definitely a day one purchase. However, I can also see this being one of those games where I don't want it to be thought of simply as a Paper Mario type game, although it's a really good marketing tactic and way to get attention. It's like how saying Hollow Knight is 2D Dark Souls robs it a little bit of its quality.

Of course but theres a lot of people that overlook indies as they are released more often these days.

 

Hollow knight is known as a 2d dark souls for example because most of the community eho plays dark souls esq games/metroidvania bought it to see what it is about.

 

Im hoping any fan of paper Mario does the same as there not many games like this of its genre 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my RPGs but never tried Paper Mario for console reasons

 

This has peaked my interest and i will be doing my research but i will probably divulge. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had my eye on this game for a while. Definitely plan on picking it up once I see more!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, I didn't know about this. Hell yes, I'm down to this one! I'm super fan of Paper Mario (specifically The Thousand Year Door) when it was a RPG game rather than an adventure/action as lately has been. Also, any news about TemTem? I'm a Nintendo-boy who changed to PSN because trophies were a defenitive factor between those options. Also, lately I've had a nostalgia punch playing other game that drove me mad because I wanted one for PSN. However, I'll wait a little bit. So much backlog at the moment, but I'll add it to my wishlist. Thanks for sharing this! 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow I don’t think I’ve been more excited for a game since sekiro, this game is going to be fantastic.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm so excited! Loved the demos on PC and waited patiently till console full release. Here we go!

Edited by triplejmzu8
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may break from my habit of (almost) never buying titles on launch day for this one, which is not something I plan on doing for the new Paper Mario title coming out, as the last two entries in the series left me feeling disappointed, with Color Splash being downright frustrating. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got holiday pay for Memorial Day so I'm definitely buying it day it.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be a good idea to change the title of this thread. I just woke up and read it literally before my coffee lol!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got exited, and then annoid by reading the topic...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Arkhamryder said:

Got exited, and then annoid by reading the topic...

Did you actually think a Mario game came to a Sony console? 

 

I am very excited about this myself and if it's the right price I will pick it up day one. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game is *hugely* reliant on medals and building your team strategies around them. Some of the Chapter 7 fights and the secret postgame fight are both near impossible without the right setups.

 

One of the most popular ones (which I only used for part of the game before developing my own strat) is to buff Leif's Ice Rain. Four hits, each does full damage and can hit multiple enemies (most multihit skills, like Vi's boomerang skills have decaying damage after the first hit). If you give Leif medals that boost his attack while poisoned, cause poison when eating any food item, and Eternal Venom where his poison status doesn't wear off during combat, you can do some insane damage. You don't unlock this skill until completing his side mission in chapter 4.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I was initially skeptical that Bug Fables could do justice to the early Paper Mario formula but, after taking the plunge and finishing the first chapter, I am completely blown away. It feels faithful to the originals but also acts like a natural progression of the ideas the first two Paper Mario games set into motion. 

I mean practically everything is back: badges, star pieces, cooking, goofy enemy scanning dialogue, the 10-item limit, first strikes, attack/block timing, even the little paper tab-like room entrances and exits, just everything. But where Paper Mario sort of dropped the ball, Bug Fables picks up the slack. The battle system feels fresh thanks to the addition of turn relay and allowing 3 party members to fight at a time. And, thankfully, strategy is far more important now (especially on hard mode) as you can no longer get away with mindlessly spamming your basic attacks until you reach a victory screen (I'm not ashamed to admit I wiped out on the first boss on hard mode). You will need to carefully consider your badge loadout and experiment with your moveset to achieve victory here. 

I think this might be every bit the sequel that 9 year-old me dreamed of back when TTYD released and I'm really excited to see how the rest of the game plays out! 

UPDATE: 45 hours later, there is no "might be" about it. This was exactly what I hoped a sequel to TTYD would feel like. I loved every minute of it and I really hope to see more from Moonsprout Games in the future.

Edited by ExistentialSolid
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

I was initially skeptical that Bug Fables could do justice to the early Paper Mario formula but, after taking the plunge and finishing the first chapter, I am completely blown away. It feels faithful to the originals but also acts like a natural progression of the ideas the first two Paper Mario games set into motion. 

I mean practically everything is back: badges, star pieces, cooking, goofy enemy scanning dialogue, the 10-item limit, first strikes, attack/block timing, even the little paper tab-like room entrances and exits, just everything. But where Paper Mario sort of dropped the ball, Bug Fables picks up the slack. The battle system feels fresh thanks to the addition of turn relay and allowing 3 party members to fight at a time. And, thankfully, strategy is far more important now (especially on hard mode) as you can no longer get away with mindlessly spamming your basic attacks until you reach a victory screen (I'm not ashamed to admit I wiped out on the first boss on hard mode). You will need to carefully consider your badge loadout and experiment with your moveset to achieve victory here. 

I think this might be every bit the sequel that 9 year-old me dreamed of back when TTYD released and I'm really excited to see how the rest of the game plays out! 

That's exactly why I was excited for the game because I knew it would be essentially classic Paper Mario games which theres VERY few games of this kind of passion amd style.

 

Im doubtful itll take off and trend but im just so happy to see a game like this on ps4. Something I never thought would be imaginable.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for putting this game on my radar. It's been an absolute treat. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.