Is this "remastered" version worth playing?

First of all, i apologize if there's already a thread about this. I haven't played Mafia 2 since forever and i was wondering if it's worth spending $30 on this Definitive Edition or just get the original PS3 release instead? I heard people complaining about lack of proper improvements to this release and heard some bugs regarding some missions or trophies but i'm still not sure yet.

Thanks.

The PS4 version is playable as people have finished the game. Glitched trophy for killing 50 people. Bad audio. Some lights in tunnels are over the top bright during the night time in game. FPS issues when driving. There’s more issues I believe. It’s up to you. If you have a PS3 then it will be cheaper to play there but if you want the experience on your PS4 id get the remastered 

• Like 2

If you have access to a PS3, I'd say just stick with Mafia II there. You'll still be able to get the platinum trophy but I don't know about 100%, as I do not still own a PS3 and do not know what access to DLC for it looks like.

There were some improvements made to Mafia II for the definitive edition but they are largely outweighed by the downsides. The FPS is fairly low and diminishes quite a bit during cut-scenes. Lighting is better in some areas, yes, but it was never that bad to begin with. Draw distance is also pretty bad. Basically, this "definitive" edition is a slightly better looking version of the game but badly in need of patching.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I will just get the PS3's Mafia 2 Essential or Platinum Hits release since that's supposed to have all the DLCs in.

Sad to see this "remastered" version being so bad, I really enjoyed Mafia 2 back in the day.

Edited by Bahraini_carguy

Worth playing? yes.

Worth playing as a stand-alone game at the current retail price? No, it's a lazy remaster and full of technical flaws which they still need to iron out with a patch.

Worth playing as part of the Mafia Trilogy? Yes.

Conclusion: get the Mafia Trilogy if you can.

• Like 1