Which story campaign to target first to get strongest deck?

I haven't played Yu Gi Oh in a long time. I know there is a natural power creep in the cards. Should I start with the newer campaigns since these cards are probably stronger? What would be the recommendation to get a powerful deck early on.

I'm currently using the XYZ user deck since it can special summon a 2400 attack card almost within 2-3 turns and it tends to not be beaten (at least in the first campaign stories)

Edited by Frozen_Guardian

Story decks are more than enough on the beginning, while you could use a custom deck you've built in these, the story decks are still a good option, they often have cards that specifically counter your opponent, and since you've been away for some time, it's a great way to get familiar with the game mechanics of that era.

While playing through campaign, you can start messing with custom decks, think about your play style, and look for an archetype that will suit it. Have a right balance between level 1-4 monster cards, high-level monsters (level 5 and up), spells, traps, fusions, etc. But most importantly, have synergy between them all, and stay around the minimum of 40 cards. Avoid cards that will slow the overall game down. Some of my personal favorites decks are counter fairy, BEWD, red eyes, venom, aliens, ice barrier and cyber angels. 

It's also a good idea to look online what deck players are using, try some of those and see what works best for you

I found the later campaign boosters packs to give really theme specific cards like Aroma Decks, Fortune Lady, Gouki etc. and doesn't give versatile cards so unless you like a pure theme kind of deck, I would recommend going through the campaigns in order. You can get great staples from the 1st campaign booster packs like Mirror Force, Raigeki, Pot of Greed, Graceful Charity. Even though these cards are restricted in online play, they are not in the story campaigns, so you can even cheese a Exodia Deck with 3 of each parts along with 3x Pot of Greed and 3x Graceful Charity to just easily win every single story battle.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 5:34 PM, minh2t said:

I found the later campaign boosters packs to give really theme specific cards like Aroma Decks, Fortune Lady, Gouki etc. and doesn't give versatile cards so unless you like a pure theme kind of deck, I would recommend going through the campaigns in order. You can get great staples from the 1st campaign booster packs like Mirror Force, Raigeki, Pot of Greed, Graceful Charity. Even though these cards are restricted in online play, they are not in the story campaigns, so you can even cheese a Exodia Deck with 3 of each parts along with 3x Pot of Greed and 3x Graceful Charity to just easily win every single story battle.

i see you don't have the platinum so far, what do you think of the overall difficulty and time estimate for platinum would be? i also see you don't have the online trophies unless you haven't updated them yet. i've been thinking about starting this within the next couple of days, been rewatching duel monsters. thinking i might jump in the game once i reach a certain point, or finish it before beginning. but i was going to say maybe we could help each other with the 3 online trophies, although i'm uncertain if you can hop into online right off the bat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJP_X said:

i see you don't have the platinum so far, what do you think of the overall difficulty and time estimate for platinum would be? i also see you don't have the online trophies unless you haven't updated them yet. i've been thinking about starting this within the next couple of days, been rewatching duel monsters. thinking i might jump in the game once i reach a certain point, or finish it before beginning. but i was going to say maybe we could help each other with the 3 online trophies, although i'm uncertain if you can hop into online right off the bat. 

There's 6 campaigns, each campaigns has about 29-32 duels, and you have to beat each campaign twice (second time as reverse duel, which is playing as the other side). Then there's the Dualist Challenges, each Series contains about 19-27 duels. There's 6 series total.

I've been taking my sweet time building several decks for fun, but if you were to just build a single deck for the purpose of rushing the story and getting the platinum, my guess would be about a 25-40 hours? and as for the overall difficulty, I'd rate the game as 3/10 difficulty. Even when you lose a duel, the game awards you free cards and points to purchase more booster packs.

The unranked and Ranked matches are available right off the bat and the game gives you some decent starter decks. The Battle Pack (Sealed Play/Draft Play) is not available at the start and you have to unlock it. It doesn't take long to unlock though, when you reach about halfway of the 1st story campaign you'll unlock your first battle pack.

I'm honestly enjoying the game a lot, the only little downside I've encountered so far is when you get in the later campaigns with Link Summons, it may take several minutes for the CPU to calculate and execute their turn as there's a lot of variable I'm guessing, so the game kinda slows down and feels like it's freezing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RJP_X said:

what do you think of the overall difficulty and time estimate for platinum would be?

The difficulty determines based on the deck you are planning on using and the time estimate is also based on the deck, The trophies that take the most time in my opinion is the effect damage, defense damage, and chains; the rest can be easy if you got the right deck.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, minh2t said:

There's 6 campaigns, each campaigns has about 29-32 duels, and you have to beat each campaign twice (second time as reverse duel, which is playing as the other side). Then there's the Dualist Challenges, each Series contains about 19-27 duels. There's 6 series total.

I've been taking my sweet time building several decks for fun, but if you were to just build a single deck for the purpose of rushing the story and getting the platinum, my guess would be about a 25-40 hours? and as for the overall difficulty, I'd rate the game as 3/10 difficulty. Even when you lose a duel, the game awards you free cards and points to purchase more booster packs.

The unranked and Ranked matches are available right off the bat and the game gives you some decent starter decks. The Battle Pack (Sealed Play/Draft Play) is not available at the start and you have to unlock it. It doesn't take long to unlock though, when you reach about halfway of the 1st story campaign you'll unlock your first battle pack.

I'm honestly enjoying the game a lot, the only little downside I've encountered so far is when you get in the later campaigns with Link Summons, it may take several minutes for the CPU to calculate and execute their turn as there's a lot of variable I'm guessing, so the game kinda slows down and feels like it's freezing.

just started earlier today, pretty neat so far, but have had some troubles with some of the duels. when using the story decks it seems like it depends on luck on what you and your opponent has sometimes, without access to the appropriate cards to start building decks this early on. like the joey duels can definitely be frustrating. i keep on using my funds to hopefully get all the exodia pieces from the grandpa deck, i've got duplicates of some of the cards.

20 hours ago, BlackSabre500 said:

The difficulty determines based on the deck you are planning on using and the time estimate is also based on the deck, The trophies that take the most time in my opinion is the effect damage, defense damage, and chains; the rest can be easy if you got the right deck.

are there recommended stages and cards to grind these? for example in some of the yugi decks there's a card called burning land which inflicts 500 LP on each persons turn if they have layed out magic/trap cards, not certain if that counts as effect damage? i have had opponents attack my face down defense cards to receive LP damage, not sure if that's what defense damage is referring to? chains are a bit more complicated for me to get, so far they've been happening at random and even though i've been reading the tutorial for it i'm still not exactly sure how i get the chains still. when i eventually make an exodia deck i'm going to have to grind these as well using certain stages/decks i suppose, but not exactly sure how to go about it.

thanks for the help guys. 

6 hours ago, RJP_X said:

are there recommended stages and cards to grind these?

Use this website to look for any specific cards you want for any decks you would like to make, for an effect damage deck go here to see my recipe for the deck so i don't have to repeat it here. For defense damage, i chose to use Stone Statue of the Aztec and fill the remaining deck with high DEF Lv.4 monsters. As for the deck i used to grind points and beat the duelist challenges i used Exodia Turbo, it contains:

3 of each piece of Exodia (Example: 3 Left Arms, 3 Right Arms. etc.)

1 Legion the Fiend Jester

2 Witch of the Black Forest

3 Allure of Darkness

3 Graceful Charity

3 One Day of Peace

3 Painful Choice (Pick 4 magic cards and 1 piece of Exodia, the AI will always pick Exodia, try to use these to get the last pieces of Exodia)

1 Painful Decision

3 Pot of Greed

3 Upstart Goblin

3 Wonder Wand ( equip to either Legion or Witch of the Black Forest then activate the effect of Wonder Wand, you'll draw 2 cards plus can activate the monster's effect too)

• Like 3

On 6/1/2020 at 9:09 PM, RJP_X said:

just started earlier today, pretty neat so far, but have had some troubles with some of the duels. when using the story decks it seems like it depends on luck on what you and your opponent has sometimes, without access to the appropriate cards to start building decks this early on. like the joey duels can definitely be frustrating. i keep on using my funds to hopefully get all the exodia pieces from the grandpa deck, i've got duplicates of some of the cards.

are there recommended stages and cards to grind these? for example in some of the yugi decks there's a card called burning land which inflicts 500 LP on each persons turn if they have layed out magic/trap cards, not certain if that counts as effect damage? i have had opponents attack my face down defense cards to receive LP damage, not sure if that's what defense damage is referring to? chains are a bit more complicated for me to get, so far they've been happening at random and even though i've been reading the tutorial for it i'm still not exactly sure how i get the chains still. when i eventually make an exodia deck i'm going to have to grind these as well using certain stages/decks i suppose, but not exactly sure how to go about it.

thanks for the help guys. 

Oh nice, glad you got the game! I found the best way to gather the Exodia pieces is to do the 2nd fight in the 1st campaign but in Reverse duel, meaning you play as Kaiba against Yugi. Yugi is using an exodia deck in that match. Whether you win or lose, the game will award you cards that are part of your opponent's deck. So whenever you see a card that your opponent is using that you wish to acquire, just battle them again until you gain the card.

In the beginning, to acquire funds and cards to build my deck, I just repeatedly entered a duel and surrendered right away without playing a single card. You can do that by selected your draw deck when it is your turn. I put on an episode of something on netflix and just farmed cards and funds that way. You can easily get more than 10k points in less than 30 minutes.

Yes defense damage is when your opponent attack one of your defense position monster card. If your defense is higher than their attack, they receive damage. That damage is indeed Defense damage and is required for a trophy. It is easy to get if you play an Exodia deck, you can simply put a lot of 2000 defense or 2100 defense monster and combo that deck with the Heart of the Underdog card. (Basically reproducing a similar deck to Yugi's first Exodia deck).

Hope this helps and enjoy the game!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 4:05 AM, BlackSabre500 said:

Use this website to look for any specific cards you want for any decks you would like to make, for an effect damage deck go here to see my recipe for the deck so i don't have to repeat it here. For defense damage, i chose to use Stone Statue of the Aztec and fill the remaining deck with high DEF Lv.4 monsters. As for the deck i used to grind points and beat the duelist challenges i used Exodia Turbo, it contains:

3 Allure of Darkness

3 Graceful Charity

3 One Day of Peace

3 Painful Choice (Pick 4 magic cards and 1 piece of Exodia, the AI will always pick Exodia, try to use these to get the last pieces of Exodia)

1 Painful Decision

3 Pot of Greed

3 Upstart Goblin

3 Wonder Wand ( equip to either Legion or Witch of the Black Forest then activate the effect of Wonder Wand, you'll draw 2 cards plus can activate the monster's effect too)

On 6/3/2020 at 10:28 PM, minh2t said:

Oh nice, glad you got the game! I found the best way to gather the Exodia pieces is to do the 2nd fight in the 1st campaign but in Reverse duel, meaning you play as Kaiba against Yugi. Yugi is using an exodia deck in that match. Whether you win or lose, the game will award you cards that are part of your opponent's deck. So whenever you see a card that your opponent is using that you wish to acquire, just battle them again until you gain the card.

In the beginning, to acquire funds and cards to build my deck, I just repeatedly entered a duel and surrendered right away without playing a single card. You can do that by selected your draw deck when it is your turn. I put on an episode of something on netflix and just farmed cards and funds that way. You can easily get more than 10k points in less than 30 minutes.

Yes defense damage is when your opponent attack one of your defense position monster card. If your defense is higher than their attack, they receive damage. That damage is indeed Defense damage and is required for a trophy. It is easy to get if you play an Exodia deck, you can simply put a lot of 2000 defense or 2100 defense monster and combo that deck with the Heart of the Underdog card. (Basically reproducing a similar deck to Yugi's first Exodia deck).

Hope this helps and enjoy the game!!!

just wanted to say thanks guys. got the platinum tonight. you guys really helped a lot, although it was certainly a lot of repetitiveness with exodia deck lol. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2020 at 9:05 AM, BlackSabre500 said:

3 Allure of Darkness

3 Graceful Charity

3 One Day of Peace

1 Painful Decision

3 Pot of Greed

3 Upstart Goblin

Your Exodia deck is great @BlackSabre500. I've yet to get a complete recipe and I'm substituting a few of the cards until I gain access to their booster packs and still winning most of the time in one turn.

You've posted a burn dmg deck which I plan on using, will this also help with chains? So far I've used a Blue Eyes Chaos MAX deck and Exodia but have only chained a handful of times across 100 duels.