LoveInHell

What are your Gaming HABITS?

19 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

- When I have my laptop open on my desk, I dislike it when the screen goes black + it distracts me too so I always need to tap it to get the screen back on even though I don’t use it.

If it's Windows, you can actually set it so it doesn't turn off the display.  Should be in control panels>power options>change plan settings.  From there you can modify various settings so the display doesn't turn off and annoy you.

As far as my own habits, here's a few

-I keep a single word document with lists of collectables in the games I'm working on.  As I obtain items, I remove them from my list.  If I have multiple games with collectables, I'll have them both in the same document with nothing separating them.  I just know what goes with what games.

-After playing a game for a time, I will sometimes get cravings for a certain snack when playing that game because I ate it multiple times while playing the game.  This can get especially weird if I go back to a really old game.

-I'm not fond of swapping discs or input sources on my TV, so I tend to play one game until its done so I don't have a swap so much.  That's why I'm usually only playing only one PS3 or PS4 game and not one on each.

Posted (edited)

My gaming habits are:

-I have to have a back-scratcher with me at all times (no joke, my back itches every time I play...weird, I know)

-I always have to have water, or beer. It used to be Mt Dew, but that now adversely affects my health, so I don't drink it anymore. Food is optional.

-I cannot play more than 2 games simultaneously, and if one is a digital download, the other has to be a physical copy, otherwise I am "not in my element." If I go over two games, I cannot keep track of the story plot in each game like I need to.

-I usually sit in the same position on the floor, or in a very low chair. I don't like being even with my TV. I like to look up at it like I am in a movie theater. So no seating that puts me at eye level.

-I also am the same way with the laptop. It can't go dark.

-I have to have little to no background lighting. As mentioned above, I want to feel like I am in a movie theater, and since I also play at ridiculous hours of the night, lighting would kill the vibe.

-I wear a headset for all my games, even if it is single player only. I just mute the mic since it is unnecessary in those cases. The headset just makes the audio quality so much better than what I get from my TV.

-I use a different controller for each game. So if I play one game, and then switch to another, I also switch the controller. I guess that's my OCD. I don't know why I do it.

I think that is about it. I cannot think of anything else.

Edited by ShogunCroCop

I never gave it much thought until now but I do have a few odd gaming habits.

-All my games are stacked in the order that i'd like to beat them in; from easiest to hardest (I'm new to console so i'd like to get the easier games done first to get acclimated to the controller) 

-I plan to always be working on 3 games at a time to stay consistent & avoid burnout (it's worked great so far)

-I drink coffee & read a chapter in any given book before any session

-I sit in my chair during the day, (closer to the tv) lay in my bed at night.

-I keep the light off during the day, lamp on during the night. (weird ik)

-I always have my laptop open on my nightstand next to me for reference (mostly guides)

-My laptop screen has to be darker than my tv screen or I will go crazy.

1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

-I keep a single word document with lists of collectables in the games I'm working on.  As I obtain items, I remove them from my list. 

i do this as well but also for trophies too.

-I often shift positions to where I'm either leaning on my left or right side.

-If there's a game or a mini-game or anything that only requires me to play with one hand I will get a snack while playing otherwise I will wait until I can get to a point where I can pause.

-I generally play one game at a time if I can help it. If a game is long I stick to the long one as much as I can or until I complete it.

-I keep the lights off, mainly because it's better that way but also there's a light that reflects off my screen.

-I also keep my PC on, but that's mainly for collectibles or anything else I might need to look up and to have videos to listen to/watch while grinding.

Posted (edited)

I haven’t been gaming very long so I only have a few. 

- I have to use my rose gold or copper controller but it has to be the one with lesser battery. They sit on my shelf the opposite way to each other. The one currently in use faces the way you’d hold it and the other with full charge vice versa. 
- I try to platinum and complete games from a series in succession just so they appear next to each other on my trophy list. 
- I delete a game once it’s 100% completed unless it’s an indie or smaller title that I downloaded from the PS store. 

Edited by sharkyaya
Typographical error

The moment I start a game I need to sync the trophy list to look at how rare the trophies are even if it makes no difference whatsoever.

My habits while gaming are:

- I drink a lot of water and red bull while gaming I don’t know why but it’s a must thing for me.

- I have an ( iPad Pro 12.9 inch ) that I use for guides and I also hate when the screen goes black lol.

- I can’t focus if my neck is resting backwards, it needs to be forward lol that’s why my neck and back are completely fucked.

- I am always in a party chat talking to my friends because without talking to someone gaming becomes boring for some reason unless it’s a story game that I am interested in.

- I listen to discussions while gaming on YouTube in topics that I am interested in and listen to music of course.

Posted (edited)

Generally, these:

• I have a triple screen setup. On my left, there is a computer monitor that I use for guides, walkthroughs, or checklists. (I also do the Word document thing, for almost everything.) On my right, my big screen TV for gaming. In between, I have a second computer monitor that I use for Netflix, YouTube, or sports.
  • My TV has a backlight with various color options. I don't do this all the time because I forget, but I like to change it to an appropriate color for the game I'm playing (e.g. blue for an underwater game, green if I'm in a forest, red for horror, etc.).
  • I like to play with the rest of my lights off, but I can't do that for long periods of time, so I have a lamp on either side of me that I'll adjust from time to time.
  • I keep the games I'm currently playing separate from the other games I own. That means only keeping games I'm actively playing on my PS4 HDD and having a separate shelf for those game cases.
  • I have a notebook next to me in case I need to write things down and a corkboard on the wall that I'll pin things to if I need a reminder or plan to refer back to something often. For example, when I was playing The Long Dark, I had the whole thing covered in maps that I had printed out. The only problem is I have to reach across my desk to take them off the wall, so that can be a pain.
  • I generally play games with the volume on the lowest possible setting (not mute), unless I'm not watching anything else.
Edited by Cassylvania

Here are my odds and ends of my gaming life as it stands today:

-- Room I game in must at all times be darker than what it is outside. Room must always be somewhere around 70 degrees or I get uncomfortable really fast. I usually have a fan in the room just in case it gets too hot for me. 

-- I always look at a trophy list before I buy a game on the PSN store, Amazon, etc. to judge if I can complete it or not. 95% of my purchases are based on trophies alone now and I will never buy a game I cannot complete that would jeopardize my % completion falling below a potential 99%. I'm OK not having every game 100% but the games that I know I cannot get all the trophies in are so rare and in between that they must have special meaning to them for me to buy/play the game in the first place. 

-- Never keep a backlog of over 10 games incomplete at any one time. Usually I stick between 1-5. If I get close to 10 I become agitated and must complete something before I can start something new. I always find myself trying to prioritize my backlog so I don't burn out by switching up the length, difficulty and genre of games I play.

-- I always play at least one shorter game between one longer game as a reward for finishing the long haul games.

-- I always keep a laptop/phone near me. I actually have to buy a new laptop because it's agitating me so much not having one right now for guides, videos, PSNP etc. while playing these games.

-- Whenever I play a RPG, I tend to vastly under utilize their crafting system, upgrading systems or weapon systems to add a enhanced scale of difficulty to the game. Once I complete the game, I "reward" myself by allowing myself to go wild with trying to find the most OP gear. 

-- If a game has cosmetics, I tend not to use them until I beat the game (same thing as the above) as a "reward" to myself.

-- The area around me must be in perfect condition before I start playing. If something is out of place I put it back in its place before I start playing or else I'll glance over at it KNOWING its out of place. 

-- I usually sit in the exact same position on the couch and have a drink at all times.

-- My guilty pleasure is watching YTP's, Gordon Ramsey, Dr. Phil, discussions, random videos, memes, whatever on YouTube during grinds. I cannot stand the silence and repetitiveness in some of these games after playing them so long so background noise is a MUST for gaming. :D

I only have a few.

• Whenever I earn a trophy, I must sync it immediately (unless I'm delay syncing, which I rarely do these days).
  • I usually play sitting down, but when I get serious, I instinctively stand up, which somehow increases my focus. My one friend even looks out for this when we face each other 1v1 in fighting games.
  • I like to have my laptop open next to me at all times, either to look stuff up quickly or to chat with a friend during a long grind.

3 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

If it's Windows, you can actually set it so it doesn't turn off the display.  Should be in control panels>power options>change plan settings.  From there you can modify various settings so the display doesn't turn off and annoy you.

Oh so thats how it is, thanks!

Not so many but most of my habits are general

• A Surface Pro for guide check
  • A mobile phone with PS App for message sending & reading so that I could focus on PS4 gaming
  • For PS3 and Vita, sync trophies once a day before turning them off
  • Clean my controller at least once a week

I’m seeing some very interesting habits here that now I realise are my habits too, lol. I might have to update my list. 🤓

56 minutes ago, Atoya said:

- I can’t focus if my neck is resting backwards, it needs to be forward lol that’s why my neck and back are completely fucked.

Jeez, same. My neck and back are bad because of this too. I used to go to a physiotherapist and it worked really well but having gaming as a hobby (as in: I’m completely addicted to gaming and lowkey in denial 😜) it just fucks it all up.

55 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

• My TV has a backlight with various color options. I don't do this all the time because I forget, but I like to change it to an appropriate color for the game I'm playing (e.g. blue for an underwater game, green if I'm in a forest, red for horror, etc.).

Oh wow thats a really fun idea. I’m going to keep that mind.

I play in my basement, lighting must be adequate. I slightly slouch every time. I check the area before hand for wasps every time as I’m petrified and never have been stung so they paranoia me. I always sync after playing ps3. 

17 hours ago, Void said:

i do this as well but also for trophies too.

Me too.

16 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

My TV has a backlight with various color options. I don't do this all the time because I forget, but I like to change it to an appropriate color for the game I'm playing (e.g. blue for an underwater game, green if I'm in a forest, red for horror, etc.).

I eventually want that for my TV. Since I play with no lights, I think the backlight would provide perfect ambience.

24 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I eventually want that for my TV. Since I play with no lights, I think the backlight would provide perfect ambience.

You can get them for under $10 online. I just wish the ones I had bought were a little brighter.

Another option is to get colored bulbs and put them in a lamp or spotlight behind the TV. That's what I had in my dorm in college and it was awesome (especially with a black wall behind it). The problem I have now is that there is very little wall space behind my TV, so I can barely notice the lights.

Surround sound is really nice too. I used to use that all the time until the front left speaker broke.