Personal Tips for 1999 Mode

Pretty similar to what I had, only I used Blood to Salts as my shirt for my main battle loadout. Made salts almost never a problem in most fights. Only time I ever used the respawn was the final airship battle, because what else am I gonna use my 900~ extra caps on?

I did a lot of save-scumming for good gear, so I was fully kitted by the Hall of Heroes. I even kept resetting that one checkpoint where the couple you saved gives you a gift, because there's 2 gear within 50 feet of one another, so I kept resetting until I got 2 really good ones (Blood to Salt and Overkill).

• Like 4

This is good stuff. I actually wrote one in a thread here last year that helped a few people. It's a shame you didn't spot it while you were looking =/

I love 1999 mode. I've played through it sooo many times just cause I love it so much lol.

• Like 1

I think you nailed it. Use possession, sniper rifle is OP, grab all health and vigor upgrades, and restart from checkpoint instead of dying (especially at the beginning).

The only other thing I would add is recognize when you can skip enemy encounters. I know for a fact that you can skip killing one of the hangmen by running past him and into the next area. Other times, you can just use rails to get past enemies while taking minimum damage too.

Edit: Oh and rocket launcher is OP in that final fight on the blimp.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I think you nailed it. Use possession, sniper rifle is OP, grab all health and vigor upgrades, and restart from checkpoint instead of dying (especially at the beginning).

The only other thing I would add is recognize when you can skip enemy encounters. I know for a fact that you can skip killing one of the hangmen by running past him and into the next area. Other times, you can just use rails to get past enemies while taking minimum damage too.

Edit: Oh and rocket launcher is OP in that final fight on the blimp.

The last Handyman can definitely be skipped, yeah. I just booked it and made for the exit. Bad luck struck when the handyman electrified the rail as I neared the top, but I was just able to reach Comstock with a sliver of health. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

This is good stuff. I actually wrote one in a thread here last year that helped a few people. It's a shame you didn't spot it while you were looking =/

I love 1999 mode. I've played through it sooo many times just cause I love it so much lol.

Really? I’m not seeing it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok i just got the plat yesterday so i wanted to give this advise while its fresh:

-Max sniper upgrades asap, it is your best friend and specially if you have tunnel vision gear

-Max possesion (cant stress this enough, possession maxed is a free kill on any non robotic/vigor-user enemy) +it lets you literally camp while your possesed patriot or rpg enemy kills everyone for you.

-Get both the gears that let you recover salt and ammo on kills, these 2 where my savior and most clutch upgrades in majority of the game, way too good to not have at least 1 of the 2.

-You only face handyman 4 times in the game, you can run and avoid the fight on first one by rushing to the door, second one on fink you must fight it, a good cheese is that if you stay in the skyline long enough he will jump on them and electrify them, leaving him open to pop like 5 shots of any weapon you got, keep repeating, same with the emporia one, you can skip last by rushing doors.

-If you get the Winter shield gear (i had to save scum way too many times for my like but hey its worth for some battles) then you are set for the last battle as you only need to pop as many return to sender you can on the main core, spam those skyline punches to everyone and their mothers.

-You also want to get Brittle-skinned, its such an underrated gear when you combine it with shotguns, crazy good for the lady comstock and the siren battles.

-The usual advice you might see 100 times, loot everything, abuse cover on standing still enemies, put devil kiss traps on the ground when able (kills every irrelevant enemy in 1 or 2 traps), take your time, posses the patriots then get far from them or shock them, have your sniper with you all the time, then either shotgun, volley or handcannons.

Enjoy that 1999 mode, good challenge and platinum :)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

The difficulty is challenging but fun most of the time. 

The final battle with Lady Comstock was irritating but I got through it. I was strapped for ammo in the Operating Theatre and cleared the last enemy with 1 shotgun shell left. Phew. 

Tips: 

• First play-through: Familiarize yourself with the hold L2 vigor traps / alternate vigor fires. Each of them are very helpful for crowd control especially on the Vox Zeppelins at the end of the game and will make your 1999 Mode play-through go that much more smoothly. 
  • 1999 Mode play-through: Reload the checkpoint if you're running out of money and/or health or salts. It will ensure you don't have to start all over again. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, just got the plat for this as well so just want to share what helped me and add on to everyone else's comments which were extremely helpful. Thanks all!

1 - Winter Shield was an absolute god send for me. If you're ever going to save scum for gear, I'd recommend that

2 - The Winter Shield / Fire Bird / Burning Halo or Electric Punch combo transforms you into a beast around Sky lines or a Sky hook. Takes a lot of the difficulty out of 1999 to be honest

3 - However, the Siren battles doesn't have that advantage and rightfully are a pain. My next set up was Head Master (+ Crit Hit Dmg by 50%) and Tunnel Vision (+ Aim Dmg by 25%) which I switch to whenever I was taking shots with my sniper. Really helped with my Siren battles (and every other battle too really)

4 - Funny experience with the Bank Vault fight. I holed up at the staircase in the vault that has a covered railing so they have to bottleneck up the staircase to get you. After a tough but fun battle, you're left with a literal pile of corpses glitching about around the floor making curious swishing noises because of the glitches. The Siren just stood in place outside the Vault to the right presumably trying in vain to resurrect her soldiers where I could see her in my scope to pick her off. :)

5 - However, there's an exploit I found after I was done for all the Siren battles that involves spamming Devil's Kiss traps where she spawns that kills her instantly. Go look it up if you want to do that... but I'd say use that as a last resort, Try it the fun way first!

6 - I couldn't escape the last Handyman fight because he would electrify the line and kill me. But i would advise killing them anyway if you have Winter Shield at least since they give you gear which might be helpful. Oh yeah, and Handyman Nemesis!

7 - Between my Sniper and Sky Line setups I would also rotate between Ammo Cap, Extra, extra (For Voxaphones), Storm, Scavenger Vest, Blood to Salts, Newton's Law, Overkill and Urgent Care.

Have Fun!

• Like 1

Lady Comstock boss fight can be skipped via glitch. It took me like 15 attempts but I managed to do it.

It is called "comstock gate skip" youtube. com/watch?v=JYAS8L7X3qU&t=4s

here an explanation of how it works:

1) jumping off the police shields is not necessary, all you need to do is to deathcharge youself through the gate to get a checkpoint behind the gate

2) you CAN step on the texture (mesh) over the fence, but not BEFORE - if you do the checkpoint you left behind the gate will be lost

3) make an autosave near this area (after interacting with the gate - story related) to reload quickly in case of failing

I played on ps3, don't know if it works in remastered version though

Edited by Dimka284
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

So aside from the odd tip here or there, the only real thing I need to keep an eye on is that I do not ever use a dollar bill machine?

I actually have the 100% on another profile but been so long since I played the game that there are only bits here and there I can remember. Will be using the code to get 1999 mode straight away as thats how I remember doing it in the past to cut down on playthroughs. 

• 4 weeks later...