What speedrunners do you watch?

charxsetsuna

26 minutes ago, Shin-Alu said:

I mainly watch races and mostly of the randomized type.  Stuff like the Link to the Past Super Metroid is already brilliant by only existing

I've never been able to get into randomisers not sure why.

Mario maker 2 is the only exception because it is by default random, before worlds were introduced that is.

Ironically, I only watch "speedruns" when I'm forced to watch a video guides for trophies, which I hate doing in the first place. Like Jecht and Blitzball, I don't get the appeal of watching other people play, especially not when they're in gotta-measure-every-fraction-of-a-second-and-when-to-piss-in-a-bottle charisma vacuum robot mode.

And unless I should ever lose my hands in an unfortunate shmelting accident, it'll remain that way.

giphy.gif

I watch quite a few on Twitch while i'm grinding out some of the harder games in my backlog. 

The main one i'm watching at the moment is a guy called Arcus. He's a Ninja Gaiden speedrunner and despite the fact he's 42,000 attempts into his goal to get the perfect time and he's playing one of the hardest games ever made, he has one of the most relaxed and calmest demeanors i've ever seen. It's very inspiring and relaxing to watch, you should definitely check him out!

Edited by SlimSanta94
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

I watch quite a few on Twitch while i'm grinding out some of the harder games in my backlog. 

The main one i'm watching at the moment is a guy called Arcus. He's a Ninja Gaiden speedrunner and despite the fact he's 42,000 attempts into his goal to get the perfect time and he's playing one of the hardest games ever made, he has one of the most relaxed and calmest demeanors i've ever seen. It's very inspiring and relaxing to watch, you should definitely check him out!

I double the arcus reccomendation, even if your not that into ninja gaiden it's still a great relaxing stream to watch.

If you are into ninja gaiden then I also reccomend summoning salts documentary on the speedrun history of that game.

I don't watch speedrunners religiously, but every now and then I enjoy watching HeyZeusHeresToast (Bloodborne), FaraazKhan (Sekiro), AnthonyCaliber (TLoU) and matte27_ (Super Meat Boy). And maybe Elaijaz (depends on the game). It blows my mind, though, how you can play the same game day in day out without going crazy (especially if you're a small streamer and don't do it for money).

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So I've watched a few of Summoning Salt's videos. This guy is really good at what he's doing without a doubt. These short documentaries are entertaining as hell. The video about Mario Kart 64 was amazing. Fascinating story about the battle between the runner who tried to get WR on every track and the rest of MK speedrunning community who refused to let that happen.

Recently, I noticed that ThaRixer (who I mentioned in my previous post) is now doing similar stuff. And doing it well too. I wanted to share one of his videos. It's about Ratchet & Clank and the R&C runners' quest to skip an entire planet. I think it's pretty entertaining even if you're not into this stuff. 

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

Mainly Punchy and bisnap (although the latter rarely does speedruns anymore). I also watch a lot of GDQ stuff.

I've done casual runs on a variety of games and individual levels over the years, but I was never interested in grinding for personal bests or world records. Some optimal strategies are a nightmare to perform consistently; I just enjoy playing games relatively fast. Here's one I did that seems to be fairly popular:

• Like 1

I used to watch a lot of speedruns in 2013, that was actually all I watched but not so much anymore since a lot of my favourites no longer stream, I'll list the one I can remember:

AdamAK: Streamed any% runs of GTAIII and Vice City and was very good at it, he was a very entertaining speedrunner and he knew his stuff. He doesn't stream at all I don't think, damn shame.

Cosmo: Streamed various Zelda speedrun categories, was once the best in the world. We all know what happened next. 

SNKfunkdoc: Streamed a variety of different games but I used to enjoy his Batman NES speedruns. 
Werster: He's still streaming, he streams mostly Pokemon games, I'm sure he's held the world record in every mainline Pokemon game over the years. 

• Like 1

I don't watch any where the only purpose is speedrunning, really, as I consider length to be a major factor in my enjoyment of a game. I do watch @Optinooby's guides for speed run trophies, though. They're mostly found in the Resident Evil games' S rank requirements as far as my game list goes.

Edited by Kristen Danielle

I don’t regularly watch or follow any speed runners, but occasionally I’ll look up speed run videos for games I’m playing at the time, and I find them fascinating. My most recent speed run was for the sub 3-hour trophy in Resident Evil remake, and I finished at 2 hours 18 minutes which I thought was pretty good. But then I started watching some runs on YT and there’s guys who do the game in like 40 minutes which is insane to me! Especially with how wonky the camera and controls are.

I’m just amazed at the intelligence and skill levels of these players who speed run games, especially the ones who do any% runs and utilize glitches and bugs. The way I see it, these players are like hackers in a way. Most of these guys aren’t just playing through games really fast, they’re basically reverse engineering them and breaking them down piece by piece and learning ways to manipulate the game’s programming and built in mechanics.

They spend hours hunting for bugs and know exactly where to look to find common vulnerabilities in games that allow certain glitches to be performed, and if they work they’ll test all the different ways it can be used to shave times off their runs. Most of these guys just have an understanding of how games are built and coded, and a deeper knowledge of how they work that goes so far beyond what most of us know. It’s utterly fascinating watch them put all that knowledge together in a speed run.

I’ve definitely noticed speed running growing in popularity in recent years, so I wouldn’t be surprised if one day it really blows up and goes mainstream as an e-sport with huge professional competitions and prize pools etc. It already looks like it has been heading that way for awhile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love speedruns ! 

The amount of dedication those guys have is pretty commendable. 

I'm really fond of fast plateformers. I find those the most impressive because there's not so much glitches there, you can SEE the pure skills through each levels.  + all those games have amazing OST. 

Celeste ( tgh) 

Super meat boy 

Hollow Knight 

Cuphead 

Super Mario games (mitchflowerpower is an absolute beast) 

• 3 months later...

I mainly watch Almolicious for Paper Mario TTYD speedruns. Of course I don't actually do it myself because it seems extremely time consuming to learn all the skips and steps to take. 

The only speed running I have really done was in Halo MCC when I had to do halo 1 and 2 in under 3 hours.