A Look at the Future of Gaming on PlayStation 5 June 11, 2020

Aranea Highwind

Thought that was a great presentation. Impressed by the variety of games they showed, felt like there was something there for everyone. Even for genre's I don't normally play, the games still looked intriguing and I could see myself giving them a try. Thought it was smart of them to show-off games featuring a lot of characters you'd associate with PlayStation too; Aloy, Rachet & Clank, Sackboy, and even Spider-Man to a certain extent now too. I love the design of the console, although the disc-drive does look like a bit of an afterthought on that version. The sneak peak of what looked like the start-up screen was nice too.
My only critique would be that, with the exception of maybe Spider-Man, there wasn't really any huge surprises in there to top it off - Demon's Souls, Resi 8, Horizon 2, GT7, all felt like things you could have predicted would be shown before the conference. That and Jim Ryan's closing statement made me very skeptical about their outlook on backwards compatibility, even if it's not a huge deal to me personally.

Also that opening - 

Spoiler

EaQ1SdvXsAEupvx?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by EIdain
  • Like 1

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales was one of the more surprising announcements Sony made at its PlayStation 5 games reveal event last night, but what actually is it? Is this an entirely new, full-length game? Or is it something more akin to InFAMOUS: First Light on PlayStation 4? Well, we now have our answer and it may surprise you. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a remaster of 2018's Marvel's Spider-Man which has been packaged together with lots of new content focused on the newest web-slinger.

Got to say when I was reading the live text I wasn't all that impressed by it but when I finally got watch it I've got to say I was blown away by all most everything, it had a few things I didn't find interesting but that was always probably going to be the case, I probably still won't be buying one at launch due to the fact I probably won't be able to afford it but I'm really looking forward to the day I can get my hands on the PS5 so bravo Sony ?

On 6/11/2020 at 6:51 PM, grimydawg___ said:

Welp, looks like I'm going to spend around $1000-$1250 lol

I swear...1 dollar over $500 price tag, and SONY will (possibly) concede the generation to Microsoft.  I want to think they know better from their catastrophe in 2006...?

Top Stars for me:

Demon’s Souls Remake

Returnal

Gran Turismo 7

Now...what about these special ‘features’ SONY, hmmm?!  ?

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar/Punctuation

Got some update of Spider-Man Miles Morales, apparently its going to be more of an expansion to the PS4 game, but on the PS5 specs. There will be alot of new contents and the story will focus on Miles of course. But its not a brand new game/sequel, its almost like another DLC pack. I suppose it makes sense since the first game came out only 2 years ago, but don't expect it to be as "ground breaking" as the trailers make it look.

In an interview with the Telegraph the head of European business at Sony Interactive Entertainment, Simon Rutter, confirmed that Spider-Man Miles Morales isn’t an entirely new game. “I guess you could call it an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game,” Rutter said. “There’s a substantial Miles Morales component—which is the expansion element—but also within the game as well there’s been major enhancements to the game and the game engine, obviously deploying some of the major PlayStation 5 technology and features.”

1 hour ago, Pershing24 said:

Got some update of Spider-Man Miles Morales, apparently its going to be more of an expansion to the PS4 game, but on the PS5 specs. There will be alot of new contents and the story will focus on Miles of course. But its not a brand new game/sequel, its almost like another DLC pack. I suppose it makes sense since the first game came out only 2 years ago, but don't expect it to be as "ground breaking" as the trailers make it look.

Allegedly that interview wasn't completely correct:

Edited by Blood_Hungry_III
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2020 at 6:19 PM, JoaLoft said:

Alright. First impressions; pretty solid overall. Maybe a little bit too much with the cartoony games, but hey, PlayStation has always wanted to offer something for everyone. So you could expect some stuff thrown in to appeal to really young audiences.

As for the games:

1. GTA V on PS5: Sure. Why not. Print more money, Rockstar. It only confirms one thing: GTA VI is not coming soon at all.
  2. Spider-Man: Miles Morales: Looks like the first Spider-Man game, but with upped graphics and a new protagonist. I'm expecting a solid game, but nothing that will wow us even more than the original did two years ago. As long as they can reach the same level of quality with the previous title: I'm happy.
  3. Gran Turismo 7: your quintessential racing sports game to launch alongside a new PlayStation console. Simulation fans will love it, everyone else will probably pass on it.
  4. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart: Pretty cool announcement! Ratchet & Clank games have always been great platformers. And I'm really glad to hear Dr. Nefarious is returning, according to Clank's VO in the trailer; he's one of the most hilarious and memorable villains in gaming history. This is one that I'll definitely want to play.
  5. Project Athia: Saw rough terrain and beautiful graphics. First thought: "here comes the God of War 2/Horizon 2 reveal!" I was wrong. But still: looks mysterious and very interesting. Not much known as of right now, but I'm interested to see more, and probably play it.
  6. Returnal: "Edge of Tomorrow: The Game". Sort of. I had Deathloop in my head the entire time I saw this, even though their narrative direction does seem to be different. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt: show me more.
  7. Sackboy: A Big Adventure: It'll have to be damn good for me to jump into this one. The LittleBigPlanet games are charming, but after several games, it does start to wear off a bit.
  8. Destruction Allstars: A destruction derby-esque game where you can still have an impact whether your car is still operational or not. Impression: okay.
  9. Kena: Bridge of Spirits: Looks charming and interesting. Gaming can certainly need a few more compelling female protagonists, and I love the oriental atmosphere in the trailer. I'd like to see more!
  10. Goodbye Volcano High: The most psychedelic entry in tonight's presentation. First time that I actually thought: "What the fuck have they been smoking?" I'll keep an open mind for this one, but so far, I can't give you a proper opinion. Looks unique, to say the least.
  11. Oddworld: Soulstorm: This is another entry I'm very interested in. Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee is a classic platformer which you should definitely have played. Can't wait to see what's next for Abe. Approved!
  12. Ghostwire: Tokyo: Seems like Shinji Mikami is stepping out of his comfort zone. I was expecting spooky stuff, but this was... unique. Would want to see more first.
  13. Jett: The Far Shore: Another psychedelic entry which needs some explanation. Too vague, but looks interesting.
  14. Godfall: Probably the only game on this list where I thought: "I was expecting a lot more. Kind of disappointing at first glance." I need to see more, but at the moment, I'm not sold.
  15. Solar Ash: I have no idea what's going on. I'm confused. Please show me more.
  16. Hitman III: Sold. These games have always been a blast to play, and the third one of the reboot series will undoubtedly have lots to offer as well in its missions. Count me in.
  17. Astro's Playroom: Never played the VR game "Astro Bot: Rescue Mission", so I didn't feel this one either. Might need to wait to try out the previous game or this one for myself, before I can even convey my feelings about it.
  18. Little Devil Inside: Young guy drops a bomb. Old guy drops a deuce in quick succession. Interest = piqued.
  19. NBA 2K21: Okay, maybe I need to rectify what I said earlier. Aside from Godfall, this is the second game where I thought: don't care. And yes, the NBA 2K20 controversy has something to do with that.
  20. Bugsnax: Weird. Really weird. Hopefully in a good way.
  21. Demon's Souls: At first I figured this was Bloodborne 2, but I'll settle for a full-on remake of Demon's Souls. Presentation was spot-on. Sold.
  22. Deathloop: You can clearly see the influence in the gameplay, including the warping; that this is Arkane Studios material. Should probably finish Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, while I'm at it. Anyhow, still interested to learn more about this one, so this gets a thumbs up from me.
  23. Resident Evil VIII: Village: I don't care what people are saying about the title or the visual direction. So far, most Resident Evil games have been really good. This one gets the benefit of the doubt as well, I want to see more of this. And awaiting Outlast 3, I will want to play this.
  24. Pragmata: Another weird post-apocalyptic game wrapped in mystery. Almost made me think of Death Stranding. The visual direction reminded me of Kojima's work. But, I'd like to give this one a shot too.
  25. Horizon II: Forbidden West: Saw rough terrain and beautiful graphics: "Okay, THIS has got to be the Horizon 2/God of War 2 reveal!" Was expecting one of the two to make its appearance, to be introduced as an early PS5 system seller. Thoughts: I'll want to play this. Other thoughts: Shit, I have to really finish Horizon 1 sometime during the summer.

And as for the console reveal: design definitely looks different from previous PlayStation consoles. They actually took more of a risk with this one, by giving it somewhat of a slight futuristic look. Hope it comes in black, along with the controller. I feel kind of mixed about it. But that's inherent to change, it always is. I think we'll need to get used to it, but once we do, it'll be as if we never had any doubts about it.

I'm definitely opting for a full PS5 console with disc tray, because I have too many games on disc, and I won't be getting everything digitally in the future either.

All-in-all: positive presentation. Looking forward to seeing what the third-party devs have to show us in the next few months, because there is still A LOT we know nothing about (concerning software).

Edit: totally forgot to mention one other game:

• Stray: Really vague, but it seems to center on humanity having gone extinct, and only robots and animals are left. I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt too, for now. Most of the reveals have been nothing but teasers, so we need a lot more gameplay footage to give actual proper first impressions. This'll have to do for now; though.

Nice write-up.  I was thinking to myself that NBA2K was only one of a very small handful of these games I’d even be interested in.    I will definitely play Spider-man.  

Besides that?  

Hitman III probably. 

Ratchet and Clank maybe.  

Sackboy maybe.

GTA V maybe.  Only played it on the PS3, guess I could give it another run.

Gran Turismo maybe but likely too sim for my liking.  

Horizon II, never played the first, but maybe at some point.

The game lineup reveal just cemented I don’t need to get a PS5 at launch.  I would prefer to play the games in my PS4 backlog for the time being.

List of games I have added to my wish list:

• Spider-man: Miles Morales
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Returnal
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Astro's Playroom (I believe this will come pre-installed on the console)
  • Demon's Souls
  • Resident Evil 8: Village
  • Horizon Zero Dawn: Forbidden West

Will be starting to save my money now for the console, peripherals, and new games. Let's go!