A Look at the Future of Gaming on PlayStation 5 June 11, 2020

Aranea Highwind

2 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't give a toss about backwards compatibility (and I'm a former Xbox player), but I guess that's my privilege of being able to keep older consoles.

same, I guess it is a nice to have but I don’t plan on selling my PS4.  I still have my PS3 not that it gets much play.

I guess it would be nice if my PS4 ever dies but until then....

• Like 1

An event to show of the NEW GAMES for ps5 and everybody wanting them to talk about backwards compatibility and UI or the console itself... I just want to be shown a damn game that I would want to buy the system for currently it’s a bunch of rumors for possible sequels (God of war, Spider-Man, Horizon) that are obviously gonna happen but when is hopefully the question that’ll be answered Thursday!! Bloodborne 2 would be my pipe dream even though it’s extremely unlikely (elden ring!) but hopefully some 3rd party games get a reveal I really want to see a new Batman, Bioshock, Silent Hill, etc. just feels like a lot of announcements are ready!!! Same as everybody else I have enough of a backlog (especially after starting this account) that I currently have no reason I see to own a ps5 until they show a day 1 must own game... or the aforementioned full backwards compatibility with ALL ps4 games

• Like 1

Looking forward to this! I'm hoping they show the console (I'm sure they will)

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like they will show off how the games will look

Edited by Ghost

17 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't give a toss about backwards compatibility (and I'm a former Xbox player), but I guess that's my privilege of being able to keep older consoles.

I'm with you 100%. I couldn't care less for it. If you want to play old games just use the old console.

• Like 3

On 29/5/2020 at 5:48 PM, Stan Lee said:

I have to agree with this, I own the older consoles myself but I just don't use them enough for it to be a priority. It would still be a very cool feature, but it's not a deal breaker for me either way. I'm more interested in the new games.

I will be getting it day one, but I still don't know where to buy it. But hopefully we will know after the reveal.

Edited by CabDK
  • Like 1

I’m reading the comments of others about how they don’t care about backwards compatibility.  Fair enough.

But I think you’re not addressing this topic with an open mind.  I have been one of the biggest ‘fortune-tellers’ of full backwards-compatibility for PS5 on this site.  And I have another prediction: I’m not sure *HOW* full backwards compatibility will be rolled out to us, but regardless...there is no way at all that SONY is letting me play Tobal No. 1, Tekken 2, Street Fighter EX2 Plus, Capcom vs SNK PRO, Fighting Force, Dino Crisis 2, Ace Combat, The Perfect Weapon, The Bouncer, The King of Fighters: NEST Saga, and Urban Reign (maybe even...Genji: Days of the Blade, Heavenly Swird, & The Club?) on my PS5 with updated graphics but with *NO TROPHIES*.  Talk about half-@$$ing it...?

If you want to extinguish your own fire of hype SONY, that would definitely do it...?

On 5/29/2020 at 0:14 PM, DEI2EK said:

Is it so wrong to not want a million consoles beneath my tv? Having a PS2,3,4,5 all hooked up because of no backwards comparability is lame.

And if you instead had a Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One under your TV how would their backward plans change your configuration? 
You would need to only play the backward games the XSX supports(since it isn't real, full BC) or you'd still need all your old consoles to keep access to games MS hasn't added to their backwards list.

But the topic is new games for this new generation. Something MS will not make for the XSX for 2 years. That's worse than not letting you play old games on new hardware.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Starcade_Legend said:

But I think you’re not addressing this topic with an open mind.

I have an open mind, I also have a very through understanding about how the cell processor and programming on a PS3 works as well as the x86 PS5 processor and how that works. People who are just hoping for PS3 backward compatibility on the hardware announced for the PS5 haven’t spent any time understanding the technology. It’s almost like they think full backward compatibility could be powered by hype and magic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

I have an open mind, I also have a very through understanding about how the cell processor and programming on a PS3 works as well as the x86 PS5 processor and how that works. People who are just hoping for PS3 backward compatibility on the hardware announced for the PS5 haven’t spent any time understanding the technology. It’s almost like they think full backward compatibility could be powered by hype and magic. 

Seems legit.

This was posted on a popular/large Turkish electronics website, last night:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rythianplays/status/1266810773420101636

This is all days before the PS5 reveal.  I’m gonna repeat what I’ve been saying since last year:

I don’t have any technical knowledge on the inner workings of the PS3 or how difficult it is to bring backwards compatibility to their next gen system.

But if a small group of self funded/crowd funded individuals not affiliated with SONY can make a PS3 emulator (with 4K capabilities and 60fps hacks) with well over 50% compatibility in around 3 years of development, if their biggest/only competitor has been touting backwards compatibility as a major selling point to help keep them relevant the second half of this generation, they’ve made a point to up-end SONY with the revelation of backwards compatibility will be even more massive with their legacy systems, with SONY having a lot more of a legacy of franchise systems and games being sold, the potential to bolster your online marketplace with hundreds/thousands more legacy titles for gamers to experience than Microsoft, and all of this just a few months removed from SONY having their 25th gaming console celebration...there’s NO WAY that the PS5 doesn’t support PS3 games, in one way, shape, or form.

But you seem pretty adamant about your stance.  As do I.  Might I propose a friendly wager?  ?

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar/Punctuation

@Starcade_Legend I saw the post and I’m skeptical it’s true. 

Mind you, I’d be amazed at what would be accomplished if Sony manages and I’m not at all against the idea, in fact I’d love for it to be true. But I’m a realist when it comes to this. 

I’m open to a wager. PM me the details and I’ll be happy to arrange how I can receive the winnings. 

56 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

Seems legit.

This was posted on a popular/large Turkish electronics website, last night:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rythianplays/status/1266810773420101636

This is all days before the PS5 reveal.  I’m gonna repeat what I’ve been saying since last year:

I don’t have any technical knowledge on the inner workings of the PS3 or how difficult it is to bring backwards compatibility to their next gen system.

But if a small group of self funded/crowd funded individuals not affiliated with SONY can make a PS3 emulator (with 4K capabilities and 60fps hacks) with well over 50% compatibility in around 3 years of development, if their biggest/only competitor has been touting backwards compatibility as a major selling point to help keep them relevant the second half of this generation, they’ve made a point to up-end SONY with the revelation of backwards compatibility will be even more massive with their legacy systems, with SONY having a lot more of a legacy of franchise systems and games being sold, the potential to bolster your online marketplace with hundreds/thousands more legacy titles for gamers to experience than Microsoft, and all of this just a few months removed from SONY having their 25th gaming console celebration...there’s NO WAY that the PS5 doesn’t support PS3 games, in one way, shape, or form.

But you seem pretty adamant about your stance.  As do I.  Might I propose a friendly wager?  1f914.png

Also I am not going to lie, I wouldn’t want to buy a new console to play old games on it. I know it’s my opinion but I am sure other people share similar thoughts. Do you really think that Xbox Backwards compatibility is the most used feature on the Xbox? 

Edited by Noskillzpro407
Add some points

1 minute ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

If I am not wrong, I think Sony aren’t allowed to use emulators for PS3 because of contractual obligations or something like that. I unfortunately don’t remember where I read this, but I think that’s the reason why Sony won’t have PS3 Emulators in the PS5. 

Link please, or people will judge you critically.  I mean, that.’s probably already happening for such an outlandish claim, but...yeah.  Link, please.

I'd be happy if they just have PS1, PS2, and PS4 games backwards compatible. It's 2020 now and the technology is there for them to do it. Xbox Series X has already announced it will be backwards compatible, so it would be embarrassing for Sony if they couldn't do it with PS5.  I understand it might not be possible with PS3, because of the cell processor it used.

I am a very clean and tidy person in general. I do not like having so many consoles around my tv, and in my closet. With the price Sony will probably charge for the PS5, it's not an unreasonable demand for Sony to have backwards compatibility at least with PS4 games. 

Edited by x7251

On 29.5.2020 at 5:26 PM, DEI2EK said:

About time. Backwards compatibility definitely needs to be brought up, I've never owned an xbox but they're making Sony look like fools right now with what they're doing with the Series X.

P s 5 already owned trash box with the unreal 5 ps 5 tech demo brotek.

I understand we're living in some very tense times right now, and while I'm not saying that can't be discussed on PSNP, this thread is not the place for it. I received multiple reports on this thread, so I removed off topic posts, and I'm locking the thread for now. 

I'll re-open when we get closer to the actual event. 

Parker

• Like 4

The new date for the PS5 reveal is apparently June 11, 2020 according to a leaked Twitch ad.

Is it on the Sony Blog or any of their official channels?

Did you see the ad on Twitch or are you saying other people claim to have seen it?

So there is some ad on Twitch that only plays for 2 people an hour or something?

2 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Did you see the ad on Twitch or are you saying other people claim to have seen it?

So there is some ad on Twitch that only plays for 2 people an hour or something?

If it's true we'll figure it out very soon. 

59 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Thread has been unlocked. Please be kind to each other.

You aren't my real dad!

28 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Just saw it on their Facebook page, it be official.