Has getting a platinum ever made you appreciate a game more or vise versa?

Jake-TheGreat97

One game that comes to mind for me is Horizon Zero Dawn. While playing the game I thought the game was good but not amazing. However, going for the platinum made me enjoy the game even more. I think the reason for this was that it required you to see everything the game had to offer. On the flip side I've had games that had the opposite effect on me. One example includes Spider-Man and how getting the platinum revealed how repetitive the side content was. Another example of this would include Kingdom Hearts III.

38 minutes ago, Jake-TheGreat97 said:

One game that comes to mind for me is Horizon Zero Dawn. While playing the game I thought the game was good but not amazing. However, going for the platinum made me enjoy the game even more. I think the reason for this was that it required you to see everything the game had to offer. On the flip side I've had games that had the opposite effect on me. One example includes Spider-Man and how getting the platinum revealed how repetitive the side content was. Another example of this would include Kingdom Hearts III.

I think I would say Uncharted 2. Back to 2009, I bought this game to play multiplayer because the beta was amazing.

There were a lot of skins, but only two were obtainable if you got the platinum: you could play Gengis Khan  if you completed the game on crushing, and got to play Marco Polo after you got the platinum.

i wanted so bad to play as them so I went for the platinum. Best decision I made because the story was amazing! 

And after playing for 5 years this game, I decided that one platinum was not enough ahah

Edited by bunshing
  • Like 1

One recent example I can think of is Hero Must Die. Again.  If I wasn't going for the platinum, I wouldn't have played the game enough to get to the true ending and thought the whole game was mediocre.  The game actually had a really good plot twist in the ending and a seemingly mediocre game actually had me in tears at the ending.  Honestly I find this to be the case for many games with multiple endings, especially if there's a true ending route because that usually is more enjoyable than the endings you get initially.  That's just the one that stood out the most because I didn't expect the game to ever become anything more than mediocre.

I would say Bioshock. I dont like playing games on the hard settings normally (as i like to just enjoy the game) but that one in particular playing on the hardest setting made me really get into the right kind of mood of everything wants me dead and I need to survive.

I can definitely say that ICO has made me appreciate speedrunning in general more because that was an absolute nightmare! xD Though, I actually appreciate the game LESS because it makes you realize how bad the AI in the game is and how terrible the platforming mechanics are.

I will say though, that getting the platinum for Bloodborne made me appreciate the game more because you don't realize how great the lore and story really is until you completed all 3 endings. It also makes you appreciate the game more because it forces you to beat all the bosses and to level up your character and visibly see your character's improvement and your own personal growth in skill.

There are others like Gris, Disgaea D2, and Hotline Miami that I have more appreciation for after the platinum, but not as much as Bloodborne.

Skyrim's platinum made me appreciate the game more, because the trophy list ensured I did all the available storylines and a bunch of other side stuff. I realised just how big that game was, and that even if you're done with all the stories, you can kinda make your own objectives. Like how much cheese I can carry before I can't move anymore. Or how steep of an angle my horse can climb up a mountain at before we both fall (spoiler alert: VERY steep).

Assassin's Creed: Origins' platinum was the opposite. I had done the whole base game's list besides the final trophy: complete all locations on the map. The map is pretty big, and there's something like 400 locations, which took around 30 hours of grind. If I had stopped there and this trophy didn't exist, I would have said I had no cons with the game. But going through all those locations was incredibly repetitive, and made me realise that the variety of the locations (which was only 3-4) and the amount of them there were, did not justify such a big map. I think they made it big just because they could, and didn't stop to think whether they should. I think big maps should equal wide variety.

Edited by Mayellie
  • Like 1

I love games that have great lists that compliment the story or make you do odds and ends that you might not have thought of in the first place, or collect everything and do every event sort of thing. Dragon Quest or Tales of games are pretty good at that sort of thing.

Then you have games like the Star Ocean series and their... grinds for no reason. Or the Sword Art Online games I've seen. There's a realm where it stops becoming "this is expanding my view and appreciation of the game" to "oh my goodness DOES IT EVER END. WHY AM I DOING THIS".

Best games are those you love to play and have great lists that almost seemed baked into the experience that you're having. Then once you get done with it, you take a step back and say "Wow, that was worth every second I put in". :) 

My Resident Evil 2 Platinum really resonated with me as I normally never do multiple playthroughs. It's not a very long game but doing each run under certain conditions towards getting the platinum kept me engaged and felt like I got my money's worth out of the game over just playing it once and dropping it. I was having a great time when I got access to the unlimited ammo weapons and just blasted my way from start to finish.

TBH getting the platinum for Spider Man made me dislike it just a tiny bit, as doing all the crimes was VERY annoying.

However, it's still a 10/10 game for me. Worth it to buy a PS4 just for that game, just like Horizon Zero Dawn.

Some platinum trophies require a lot of time and effort, so upon completion I feel nothing because I'm burned out (most of the time). When I think of the games I platinum'ed in retrospective, I know every flaw of the game, but also every strength of the game, which makes me feel that I got "full experience" that game can offer. I encountered a lot of fun bugs and glitches at some games, which made me to have small library of clips and screenshots. I'd say, I'm 50/50 at this. Some games I liked even tho they were bad, some games I didn't enjoyed whatsoever, while they are loved my other players. 

I really enjoyed platting Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man and Dishonored 2 for example. Simply because I enjoyed those games so much, going for the trophys was just more reasons to keep playing.

There are a lot of games where trophys are just really annoying tho. Especially if the trophys are luck-based or just grindy as hell. Dishonored 1 - Dunwall City Trials, Uncharted 1-3 on brutal difficulty, Injustice 2 and Absolver are some of those games that seriously pissed me off, and kinda made me hate them.

Then there are games where I don't even want to bother playing them. Witcher 3 for example. I hear the game is amazing, but that one fucking trophy where you have to collect all the cards is keeping me from playing it. I'm just so scared of missing something, and having to restart the whole fucking game over... I would probably throw my console out of the window if that happened, since that game is massive.

Edited by Sneezin--

Both!

The best example of a game being more enjoyable chasing down the platinum would be any of the Fallout games. They have a ton of hidden content in the games and sometimes they tie trophies to some of those hidden gems. Which allows you to experience that content that you might otherwise miss. You definitely get your monies worth with a Fallout game.

On the flip side, a game that was ridiculous trying to get the platinum would be that Evolve. The amount of grinding was just pointless and really took away from the game experience. Making the game a whole lot less fun and more of a head ache. But then again, that game showed its true colors on day one of the release when they put out $1200 in add-on's but sold you a bare bones style game with just the basics. 

5 hours ago, Sneezin-- said:

Then there are games where I don't even want to bother playing them. Witcher 3 for example. I hear the game is amazing, but that one fucking trophy where you have to collect all the cards is keeping me from playing it. I'm just so scared of missing something, and having to restart the whole fucking game over... I would probably throw my console out of the window if that happened, since that game is massive.

The Witcher 3 is one of the best games on PS4. I wouldn't worry about the trophies

I think a great game with a great platinum list that compliments the game are some of the best experiences ever.

My worst experiences are mostly grinding games that just aren't fun. A grind for the sake of a grind is never fun. If it's built into fun activities, events, new storylines or awesome rewards, I think it's worth it. But having trophies where you have to do the most ABSOLUTE pointless stuff for hours and hours on end (when the rest of the game isn't that way) makes me almost hate the game, from a trophy standpoint. The game can still be awesome on its own, but if the list is bad, you sort of grow to have a love-hate relationship with some of these games. :P