Do you listen to background noise while going for trophies?

16 hours ago, CrimsonMercury said:

I usually listen to my favourite channel, Playstation Access, on Youtube. I specifically find Rob's Friday Features to be very relaxing..or pretty much any video where he's speaking. It calms me down which is very helpful especially when I'm doing something tedious or difficult within the game.

Haha, I totally agree! His videos are usually humorous and he does have quite a soothing voice.

"Hello, you've caught me probably playing a JRPG or talking about Metal Gear Solid..."

As for me, I'm usually one for listening to game audio, even if grinding. I don't know why but I don't seem to play as well if I'm not immersed into the game, which takes sound for me to do.

I recently finished Gris and fell in love with the soundtrack; does having a game soundtrack on in the background while playing games count? ?

Edited by cpt_und3rp4nts91

I usually listen to my wife yell at me about playing too many video games while I'm gaming...as an added bonus, it gives us something to talk about after as well...haha...

on a serious note, no, i don't do background noise while playing...the sounds of most games is enough...I'm actually kind of weird when grinding in that I'll try to get good at it...meaning I'll see how fast I can repeat an action and often audio cues are an indication of speed...imaginary scenario : the game makes 2 beeps before completing a grind action...I'll try to get it down to 1.9 beeps' then, then 1.8 beeps until I eventually get it down to like 1 beep...worst part is I'll actually feel kind of good when I do...haha...so dumb but enjoyable nonetheless...

• Like 2

When grinding or collectable hunting, I mostly watch the Joe Rogan Experience or some of the affiliated podcasts. Except when the guest is someone really interesting like Elon Musk for example, then i feel like I need to watch it with my full attention. Sometimes I even watch shows that don't really need much concentration to follow but never movies for some reason. If I were just to put on music or the audio of a podcast I wouldn't hear it after a while, which would be pointless to me. Why pointless? Friends sometimes ask me: "Where do you find the time to do all this stuff?" My answer: "I try to do as much multiple things at the same time and I sleep fast."

• Like 1

If I'm going for grindy trophies I'll put a movie on the next screen, preferably something I've seen before and really enjoy. That way I don't have to pay close attention and it helps distract from the monotony. I watched all of Everything Sucks while going for level 55 in Assassin's Creed 4 and it was a god send.

35 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I usually listen to my wife yell at me about playing too many video games while I'm gaming...as an added bonus, it gives us something to talk about after as well...haha...

on a serious note, no, i don't do background noise while playing...the sounds of most games is enough...I'm actually kind of weird when grinding in that I'll try to get good at it...meaning I'll see how fast I can repeat an action and often audio cues are an indication of speed...imaginary scenario : the game makes 2 beeps before completing a grind action...I'll try to get it down to 1.9 beeps' then, then 1.8 beeps until I eventually get it down to like 1 beep...worst part is I'll actually feel kind of good when I do...haha...so dumb but enjoyable nonetheless...

I actually did something like that with dynasty warriors gundam reborn,  I tried to see how quickly I could complete the level I was using to grind. I got quite good even if it was completely mind numbing.

Most certainly,  most recent example of this for me was grinding from rank 80 to 100 in SWBF last month. Just listened to history videos on YouTube about early Britain or some podcasts depending on my mood. But on a  1st playthrough I am focused on the story. 

• 2 years later...

When I'm doing a really grindy trophy (since I love jRPGs that's literally all the time) and I feel like I've had enough of the BGM, I usually just put on some other music instead. I can grind away for hours! I even find it soothing. Been doing that since before trophies were a thing (I've always enjoyed power leveling as much as possible early on just to see what can be steamrolled later on).

My background noise consists of sitting in a party with highly volatile people who have a penchant for stringing together put downs in the most creative ways possible. They’re usually at each other’s necks and I find myself both appalled and amazed. It’s honestly another reason I take so long to play games ?

Without such a huge distraction I’d say I enjoy listening to the story. If I’m replaying the same levels or what not, I will put some music in my ears as I already know what’s going on.

When its a monster grind i try to watch a film, or tv if the grinding is just pressing a button or two.

if it needs a little bit more of focus like actually playing a bit like fifa or pes that just needs gameplay time or matches, i listen to music

I cant understand how people can play FPS shooters with so much background sounds or other background music

I never listen to anything else on playthrough 1 unless its something like wrc where theres no story or limited music. But when i do its usually podcasts or even dumb shit like flat earth debates and people debunking psudeoscience or hate preachers that worship trump more then even jesus.