(SPOILERS) Can we talk about how much this sucked now?

On 6/5/2020 at 3:53 PM, elita0ne1977 said:

You wanna take one of the best games ever and split it up into 4 or so full length games , expanding on the world and experiences? You wanna make a few story changes so we’re somewhat in suspense? Take my damn money!

on another note , why does every single game have a post about how bad or disappointing that game was. Really starting to think this is a site full of hardcore gamers that hate games. 

I think you got it the wrong way around. People here love games, play them so much they know exactly what they like and not. You criticize that which you love. I'm personally a huge FF fan, I made FF8 plat my 15k trophy. I'm wanting to make FF9 plat my 20k or 25k trophy.

17 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

People who say 'then just stick to the original'.... Yeah, I will!

It's always been a lousy point. Fans have wanted an upgraded version, not just a remaster. Much of this game seems to have done what a lot of fans wanted, even if I'm no fan of the change to the battle system, it might have been okay if they didn't also mess with the story. They might as well just make a new game and series if they don't wanna do the original. However, this first portion is rather similar to the original game, with a lot of both good and pointless additions, though the ghost stuff and the ending kinda ruins the original story going forward.

Edited by MMDE

On 6/6/2020 at 1:27 PM, MMDE said:

However, this first portion is rather similar to the original game, with a lot of both good and pointless additions, though the ghost stuff and the ending kinda ruins the original story going forward.

That is the point people seem to be missing.

This is the first 10% and they ended it by setting the tone to continue with a terrible narrative thread. Extra stories for Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, and other original characters and adding new character threads like Chadley, Marle, and Leslie enhance the original story. They can also have side stories that branch off in different directions or affect the main story in small ways further down the line, or just be completely forgotten.

To change the main story the way they did means they will continue to abandon what made the original beloved, but in a way that nearly no one cared for or understood. Chapter 18 is a reflection on how the next 50+ chapters are going to go.

Edited by Bos10George

• 1 month later...

Honestly, this game surprised me despite me not being a big fan of the original game. I guess I liked how they expanded the lore and the combat is more active and I love it. I am actually excited for tue rest of the parts, particularly when Yuffie gets introduced. (I wonder who will voice her since they already used Erica Lindbeck)

Edited by HeroFangGhetz
  • Like 1

As a huge fan of the original - a game I have played through about 10 times or so enjoyed my first playthrough of this remake for the most part untill the final chapter which deflated me so much, hated everything about it especially the over the top anime cut scenes - felt completely out of place from the rest of the game. I'm not a fan of making the Avalanche members and Zack survive even if it is in an alternative reality or whatever. The combat was OK but started to annoy me a bit after a while - not really sure why.

The side quests were very bland for the most part. Not enough exploration - I know Midgar was linear in the original game but Midgar should have expanded a lot more than it was in this remake IMO. Also not enough end game content and secret/hidden bosses to find. The combat arena is a really lame way to add boss fights IMO it's far better to just discover them on the field while exploring, like in most FF games.

The fact is though that I could replay the original over and over and always enjoy it - I couldn't even finish my second playthrough of this game as I just completely lost interest. I'm still interested to see where they take the story from here but I doubt I will return to this part 1 again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChaosDivider said:

The fact is though that I could replay the original over and over and always enjoy it - I couldn't even finish my second playthrough of this game as I just completely lost interest. I'm still interested to see where they take the story from here but I doubt I will return to this part 1 again.

If they made 20 stacks of the original FF7 I would have them all. I plan on getting the trophies and never touching this again. I held off on my 2nd playthrough as I had the same experience as @ChaosDivider in that the ending took the motivation completely away.

I am starting it back up again, mainly for the remaining trophies. Hopefully experiencing this story again will help me to feel more positive about this remake. Watching the opening movie, I can clearly recall how happy and excited I was seeing it for the first time a few months ago. I want to have that feeling again, but I don't know I ever will.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Much dishonesty here. People saying that old fans can go back to the original if they don't like the "remaster" changes... Are you blind, seriously?

I'm a OG fan and I remember that the graphics, especially in the outworld, were always not great. Hooves hands and lego characters have their nostalgic charm but common... people still love the game but FF VII graphics have aged really badly.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 6:56 PM, DaivRules said:

I thought Remake implied they were re-making the story in any way they choose. It wasn’t a Remaster, where they take the original assets and tune them up. 

Your second point seems like a problem for their marketing team and less of a good reason not to enjoy the game you played. You’re holding unknowns against the known experience you just had. 

That isn't what a "Remake" ever was for anything and you know that! This stupid re-interpretation nonsense does nothing but makes the original story no better than fanfiction.

42 minutes ago, Not_Too_Sweet said:

That isn't what a "Remake" ever was for anything and you know that! This stupid re-interpretation nonsense does nothing but makes the original story no better than fanfiction.

Remake can be anything they want since it's their property. RE2 was a remake and they changed some stuff, RE3 was a remake and they took out a bunch of stuff. Just because something is a remake doesn't mean that they're not allowed to change anything. Look at the Medievil remake. They kept everything the exact same and it was a stupid decision. Apples and oranges, yes, but it's a point.

1 hour ago, Not_Too_Sweet said:

I don't have a clue about what you're going on about. "and you know that" What do I know? You've made no point here.

The original story still exists. This remake doesn't go back in time and stop it from existing. There is no one forcing anyone to only acknowledge a singular storyline. These are just game stories. 

Remakes are for keeping or altering aspects of an original under any conditions the creator wants. Are you claiming otherwise? Do you have a convincing explanation for that claim if it is your claim?

• Like 1

I haven't read the whole thread because maybe I'll beat it someday but the FF VII Remake felt like most "recent" games from SquarEnix, I'm excited to pick it up and play it and get tired by it within a few hours of gameplay.

I played the remake until we meet that new character riding a bike. The whole thing felt so off I decided to put it aside, that's not the only factor but it's a big part of it.

Same happened with FF XV, KH3.

While I can put hours and hours of gameplay on older versions/games without growing weary.

Dunno if it's nostalgia talking but I sure don't feel too confident about picking up the rest of the games.
SquarEnix has been and is now more than ever on my "pay extra caution" before buying list.

Edited by Okoteiru
correction

I can understand people not enjoying this remake, even though I have played FF7 from start to finish (on steam) a number of times I was very excited to jump into this remake, while there are a number of changes which I admit threw me off at the start I will say that I enjoyed it and loved the fresh take they took on many of the characters.. now I just need to platinum it!

• Like 2

I have no attachment to the original, so I don't mind the story changes, I'm currently two-thirds into the game and I just cannot like this game at all.  The things I don't like are forced walking / crawling / shimmying which is a waste of time (yes, some is used to mask loading but it's frequently in your face and feels so weird wrestling control away from you), too much filler content, narrow corridors, Midgar is the same drab grey again and again, crappy camera in tight confined spaces, frequent moments where it is cutscene -> 2 secs of walking -> cutscene, and I don't like the hybrid combat.  The hybrid system sounds like a good idea but I feel it is too fast for turn-based style and lacking too much for action style.  Unpopular opinion but my friend enjoyed it so much I thought I would love it too, :(.  It's gotten to the point where I'm probably going to give up on the platinum trophy because I don't want to play anymore of this after I complete the story the first time.

I personally really enjoyed the game. 

The combat felt clunky in the beginning but after I familiarized myself with it and unlocked more key materia for every character (like Parry for Tifa) it started becoming more and more enjoyable. I loved how every single character felt incredibly distinct to play and how every single weapon had a use and promoted a different type of build. The shortcuts allowed me to completely forego the use of the pause feature and made the whole combat experience that much more fluid and immediate. The camera is my main issue regarding gameplay.

The main cast was incredibly well animated and voiced (Barret, Tifa and Aerith especially) and it all helped me bond even more with characters I already loved and it allowed less explored characters to have their own time in the spotlight.

When it comes to the story I was totally fine with it until the fight against the whispers in chapter 18; since it had almost no build-up it ended up feeling somewhat forced. I, however, happen to really like the concept of the whispers as a whole.

Aerith and Sephiroth also clearly know about a lot of events before they happen, Aerith especially seems to know about her fate in the OG game which I found very interesting. All the visions that Cloud has and their possible implications were honestly pretty incredible too. Trying to piece all these small details together was one of the things that kept me speculating and my interest high for the entire experience. 

I'm very interested to see where they'll take the series going forward and as a massive Aerith fan I'm left feeling both hopeful and terrified about her fate this time around which is something that a  1 to 1 remaster of the game wouldn't have been able to achieve. 

The changes to the plot add a healthy dose of unpredictability to the whole experience which I personally appreciate. It's too early to judge the Remake as a whole, we've only got the first part after all. I hope they'll tell a story that makes sense no matter how big a departure from the original it ends up being and that's what matters to me personally. Changes are fine, as long as they lead to a plot that goes full circle without gaping plot holes.

Whatever happens, good or bad, the existance of this new version of the game does not, in any way, take anything away from the greatness of the OG game which will always be there for players to experience. 

One last thing I'd like to add is that maybe you should go into games with less expectations? It seems like a lot of people were disappointed by the game because they could only compare it to the expectations they had built for it in their own head. I find that going into an experience with an open mind, free of prejudice, helps a lot with the enjoyment factor. Not liking a game is fine, there are games I didn't like, but setting expectations onto a product only makes that scenario much more likely to accur, which is a shame. 

Thank you, to anyone who does, for taking the time to read this! 

Edited by Yuuria_
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can understand the OP's frustration, especially when it comes to altering the original story, but for new fans this is there original and for us who played the original just see it as a retelling.

You can indeed put it down to bad writing, and certainly when it comes to Japanese writing. In the late 80's they ruled story telling along side the UK and Europe in how some characters must die to tell the story and give it reason. The American writers used to be mocked about this because everything all ended all sunshiny and roses chops, but then in the mid 2000's they got there act right up to scratch and knew now how to write for an audience, where as Japan went the sun shiny rose chops path. And in a really bad way too because this effected anime, games and movie stories from Japan. 

For them to not know what direction to take the concluding parts can indeed seem troubling for fans, but you can either leave the remake there as an end to be interpreted, or just wait and see what happens. I'm an older gamer, so unless the game comes to a conclusion within the next 5 years then I doubt I will see it through as I will have moved onto something more my pace of age. 

I'm honestly surprised that after 3 pages of trying to pick the word "Remake" apart, nobody settled the matter by pointing out that the game is actually a sequel in disguise. Every other story in the setting has already happened from Aerith's perspective (and I'm pretty sure Red and Sephiroth's as well), and this story takes place after it all happened, when Aerith decides to restart the sequence of events armed with the knowledge of the previous cycle.

Is it the remake we were hoping for? No, it's a new story/sequel in the world we wanted to revisit, and what's wrong with that? Sure, at the end of the day it's false advertising, but how would you go about it without ruining the surprise for everyone?

And yes, I also still want a 1:1 remake of the original, especially when it comes to the combat system, but as far as sequels go, I'm satisfied with what we got.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:42 AM, KondeBra said:

I enjoyed these changes.

And if you aren't satisfied, there is always the original to play.

What about all of those who were crying out for simply a major graphical enhancement, making it look like it was made in 2020, with perhaps some additional story to reflect the later games and some extra content, maybe some easter eggs etc?  Maybe some fleshing out of side characters. Upgrade of the soundtrack from midi files to maybe some orchestral, electronic etc. Fix typos, maybe re-translate, update the dialogue, better reflect the character dialects etc, and have it being audible, not just written.

What about those? Do you have an option for those?

No? That's why people are annoyed at this. It's not what they were hoping for all these years. It's a new game that takes the characters from the original and creates a different game.

Edited by MMDE

Just finished the remake today.  Have to say it all just feels like a cash in rather than a passion project.  The pacing was way off, with most sections dragging on just to make the game longer.  In the end I thought why make a 50 hour midgar game when they could have remade the whole thing in nearly that time.  I liked some things, like the extra time given to some of the npcs but thats about it.  The 'magic' of the original was missing, the music was worse, the tension, the ending....all worse  Sephiroth is not nearly as good as a villain.  If it was not because of nostalgia, I think I would have liked it way less.  Really everything about this game is average, can't really understand the rave reviews of it.

• Like 1

Everyone who wanted a 1:1 remake doesn't take into account that given the current generation of games, characters standing together in a turn based system just isn't with the times anymore...at least in AAA productions. I hate to admit it, as I love turn based RPGs but there are very few examples of large-budget, highly realistic looking rpgs with characters standing around without moving till they attack. Exceptions like Persona 5, but that was clearly heavily stylized and had a much greater anime aesthetic than FFVIIR which sported very realistic graphics. I will continue to favor turn based over other modes but, it seems

If we got a 1:1 remake, the game would take much longer to develop, the game would be massive as far as file size, probably beat out Call Of Duty. It would've given me the same feeling as Trials Of Mana, which looked great but just felt like a pretty coat over the game, so all the other older jankiness was there, the dialogue felt awful because this game that looks modern...doesnt sound or feel modern. OG VII isnt modern, and to capture the charm and character and quirkiness of the original in AAA graphics, so much would conflict. We would end up with a large world map filled with..nothing besides the few locations on the map. Remember how beautiful the world was in FFXV? you also remember how empty and boring it was? it gave the sense of travelling this journey with your friends, but man, the scenery was gorgeous and  so empty it felt wasted. Altissa was great but the rest of the locations just felt like they lacked character and spirit. That's not the type of world I would've wanted for FFVIIR, so if it means they chop the game up and give us meatier portions, then I'm fine with it.

As far as the fates thing and the final chapter, I think it was an...interesting way to break free from the chains of the original. Like it or not, it has become a new telling of VII. To compare it to VII now just doesn't make sense. A 1 :1 remake wouldve been nice, but all these extra stops and dialogue, banter, etc going on, I kind of imagine it as things the characters did along their journey that we, the audience, just never saw. Its like when they announced the spyro trilogy, and I saw the graphical upgrade...I looked at it and was like "wow, thats exactly what I pictured it as when I was younger". So, to me, it's just a actualization of what my imagination originally pictured to fill in those gaps. Maybe thats just me but thats how I interpret those creative differences and changes. As far as where the story goes and Aerith seeming to know things from the OG, I'm curious to see where it goes and I think this will eventually make an excellent addition to the universe of FFVII games, hopefully tying in other stores together. 

15 hours ago, NoosaHeadz said:

Never played the original or any other FF game since the Sega Mega Drive days , showing my age a bit . I loved it ,

The characters are good , the story is good , the world looks good and lived in and its alot of fun to play .

Whats not to like ?

You can get the original for on sale and it goes on quite often. The downside to playing it after the remake is due to some scenes being rewritten the remake will appear odd to you, as well and possible major spoilers for future installments of the remake franchise. 

After looking at a recap of the original game, it does indeed cause conflict in terms of story on how they made the remake version. I think for original fans the word 'remake' can throw you and its probably best to see it more as a 'retold' edition. 

A couple of things I would have brought over from the original or just changes on the remake. 

1: There is no reason whatsoever you couldn't have been able to do all side quests in one playthrough. None of them conflict other than for reasons best known to the devs. It would have indeed made all of them achievable in one playthrough, especially when you consider the side quests of chapter 9 and how they all play a part in future side quests. Or perhaps the intention was to give reason to seeing the missed side quests in a hard play-through. I dunno. Didn't make sense either way. 

2: In the original I loved the little things like having to give cpr to the kid after the plate crashes. I agree with the OP that the plate smash in this game felt very sugar filled and took away the true horror that it should have depicted. I think a rescue mission on civilians should have been a major part of this game. 

3: I would have kept the dress mini game simplistic like they did in the original and to be honest it was more fun. Having to play the same three chapters over and over doing this or that makes no sense on to how a dress would be chosen. i think they tried to be interesting with it, but for me it came across tiresome and actually made no sense in how they're achieved. 

I'm also gutted that the Yuffie DLC is only planned for the PS5. Expansions don't sell consoles, and FInal Fantasy games aren't for everyone (though the new fight mechanics may open it up to a whole new audience I suppose), so I don't know why they worked on an etire upscale for the main game for PS5, but didn't think to do the same for the expansion. Unless of course the expansion goes way beyond what the PS4 can achieve, but I honestly don't think that will be the case. 

Having it exclusive also made no sense. Forget nostalgic handshakes between Square and SONY, and its probably why it went on PS+ meaning SONY would have given even more funds to them especially to try and help with the lack of physical sales during the current pandemic. But with all the struggle this game had during development, I honestly see the exclusive being more of a hinderance to the future of the remake franchise especially when it comes to what it could have achieved being multiplatform. 

I'm 50/50 on this game will continue after the Yuffie DLC, or is Square Enix plan to keep chopping it up into sections similar to there Marvel project. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

I played the original on PC and now the remake on PS4.

It was as many already pointed out: I had an imagination of the game, as I already played it. Learning, that the remake is just part of the original story and has also been altered got me a bit mad. I do not like changed story lines. If they want to do this, they should give it a completely different name. Then I'd check more, if the game would be something I like before purchasing it. Having played the original FF7 and then seeing one for PS4 made me think: yeah... the game was great - it cannot be that worse on a PS4 that I would not like it => go and buy it. Learning about the differences after buying is a disappointment.

Regardless of the differences though, I'm totally happy with what I got. The graphics are great. The story still is touching and really draws me in. The look & feel has vastly improved compared to the original (as it should have over such a long time). For me it is another great Square Enix game. Compared to the PS4 version of Secret of Mana (I originally played the SNES version), FF7 Remake is really good. If they keep up with the quality, I'll gladly buy the remaining "Parts" of FF7 Remake.

In my opinion, one of the best final fantasy recently made for mechanics, gameplay and graphic!

All these good things ruined by a story filled with waaaaaaay too much nonsense and wandering around, just to make multiple games over a single one. Thinking that this part 1 (waited for years) is just 20% of the original story makes me sad.

I'm still waiting for crisis core outside psp, but if they can ruin a classic game like VII with fillers I'm a bit worried.

In addition, after all these years, they couldn't make dialogues for my language and the translation with the subs is awful. Most of the time, they say a thing in english and the subs say something completely different.

Edited by ddrakner
  • Like 1