(SPOILERS) Can we talk about how much this sucked now?

31 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

Hide contents

While that is true, a major one of those themes in the game is death. Necron is the personification of that theme, essentially an avatar of the crystal that Kuja destroyed.

Death is a large motivating factor behind Kuja's actions later on, and the whole reason Necron appears to begin with; to answer Kuja's destructive desires and behavior.

He quite literally does serve a purpose, as I've already thoroughly explained. Just because you don't understand nor care for said purpose doesn't mean that there isn't one.

Symbolism absolutely is enough to justify it because it fits the narrative and is a direct consequence of Kuja's actions, so it's not as abrupt as you're making it to be either.

Necron doesn't invalidate Kuja as the main villain because Necron isn't the main villain, just the result of what the main villain did by the end of the story.

Far Cry is not at all comparable given the entirely different world, cults and death not being comparable themes, and you also brought up a real person.

This is sounds like more of a "you" problem, rather than problem with the game itself.

And like I said before, I wasn't defending the bait and switch, just my perspective on why they went with remake and how so many changes being made to the game should've already made it clear that it wasn't a faiful remake and therefore the story wasn't inherently "safe" from any changes being made.

I perfectly understand the supposed "purpose", but I, like many, many others, see it as pointless dross. There is no indication of there being something in the crystal until it's destroyed, and it's revealed there's something in it. Such brilliant story telling. It cheapens the feeling of the final epic fight and citing symbolism as the main factor is an extremely weak argument.

The point still stands, but let's call him Marles Chanson then, much better. How about the Final Fantasy 8 comparison then, if you want to stay in the genre? Some super great monster brought about by Ultimecia's manipulation of time that embodies the themes of 8. What a brilliant end boss that'd be right?

I'd say it's more a problem of the developer misleading their audience, but sure. 

You're not defending the bait and switch, but then say it should have been clear the story wouldn't necessarily be safe? Well clearly that isn't the case considering the droves of complaints regarding the story changes.

Edited by Mattiechuu

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep, this game sucked big time. Allow me to copy my review from the Most Recent platinum thread, since I finally played it:

Good things first - The graphics are awesome and I liked the art style for the most part when talking about the characters, the city and the enemies. The biggest positive aspect of this game however, hast to be the music. It’s just fantastic what they managed to do and how „old“ tracks sound today. Combined with new parts, the soundtrack blew me away at times. Especially the Hell House theme is glorious! Amazing piece of music. Sadly, that’s about it when talking about the good things of the game. Pretty much everything else annoyed me way too much.

Let’s start with the way the game was designed and how the party moved through the world. When I said I liked the art style for the most part I was not referring to the dozens of brown and grey tunnel/indutry areas the game throws at you constantly. These made the game look rather ugly than graphically impressive. And SquareEnix also did a bad job in hiding the loading for upcoming areas. Seriously, at times I thought I’ve played a „crouching and squeeze through simulator“, cause you have to do it all the time and it takes forever! These aspects destroy the flow of the game as much as all the filler things you have to do inbetween two connecting areas and which all sucked!

Who thought that the motorbike scenes were actually fun? Or the crane sequence? Or stopping that one lever at the right time? Or climbing on the ceiling with Tifa? Whenever you had to move you party the game gave you nothing but shit to keep you busy. This could’ve been not so bad if the major thing of a (former) role playing game was good. I am talking about the story or better said how it was represented. My god, that was atrocious!

Did the developers sleep the last 10 years? This is not how you portray anything. I don’t mind cliches or stereotypes if done right. Heck, I really liked how Yakuza 0 did everything. FF7 Remake is over the top ridiculous and takes itself way too serious at the same time. They made the story for dummies and idiots too who can’t fathom the most obvious human reactions.

„Something dangerous is about to happen? Let Cloud reach for his sword, so people notice. Good idea, let's do it.“ "And let’s do it 60 more times, whenever something is happening, even when the situation is not really suited for it. I mean who cares about nuances?“

„Hmm, something is good? Let’s make the characters show a thumb, so people will know. Got it, great idea! Let’s also make this way too many times, cause we have no other idea on how to show this to people. What? Last Of Us, God of War and other games with that graphical quality found other ways? Screw it, let’s go with the thumb!“

But the absolute cake takes the scene where Barret thought his daughter died. It’s not enough that he reacts with anger, no he has to scream up to the skies and then punches a rock! 1f604.pngSo, the last idiot will realize: „Hmm, Barret sad AND mad“. You can see the scene in this video. And of course the video starts with a crouching scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziylPIe5cgk&ab_channel=BuffMaister

In general, most of the characters are absolutely ridiculous and are unlikeable morons. From the bad guys it’s everyone and from the main party only a few are alright. I haven’t even mentioned how every girl adores Cloud, how „cool“ he is in every scene or how he unironically lands in that typical hero pose every single time. It seems like the developers never saw any movie, TV-series or other games for references. Weirdly enough the DLC was alright. Maybe because it was short or maybe because Yuffie could move faster, therefore the loading sequences could be better implemented. Oh, and the fighting was okay too. In the main game and the DLC. So it’s actually 3 good things: Graphics, music and the fighting. The rest is mostly garbage. SquareEnix unwillingly made a parody of a game.

Edited by Gommes_

• 5 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 9:31 AM, crazyrick18 said:

I tried my best to like this but I just couldn't, mostly just the boring side quests and lots of filler. game just wasn't for me going to pass on the next game.  

The padding is absolutely criminal. I've just done the sewers and now I'm in the train graveyard. It's painful how nothing it all is. It doesn't help bring forced to walk instead of run in so many rooms.

I can't like the combat either because of how restrictive the ATB is. There's already a cost for magic (MP) and items (gil), so slow combat down so much? I don't see how this is an improvement on the original on any level (possiblt graphics, but that's a matter of taste).

The music is bland and the voice active just slows everything down even more. I can read a text box in the original in half a second. A single spoken unskippable line with dramatic camera angles, even if it's only 5 seconds, literally takes 10x longer.

It's an absolute slog to play but I want to see all of the content as a long time fan. I've seen clips of late game boss fights and they look awesome.

• 1 month later...

Most of the negative viewpoints seem to be by people who played the original and are unsatisfied with the changes. I haven't played the OG version, and it seems that newcomers are more open to this game, even though the game from a narrative viewpoint isn't very newcomer friendly. I personally loved the game, and i think it is the first and only time where I have loved a game that has more than just one issue (and they are not small issues).

In terms of the story changes, I disagree, and I disagree heavily unless the entire package was in one game. It makes zero sense doing a 1:1 remake, if it is spanned over more than 2 games. Who would play it if the ending from a unreleased game is known beforehand (besides hardcore fans)? And not just the ending, detailed roadmap of plotpoints throughout the entire games (Part II and hypothetical part III). Few would buy the games. So it's only natural to end the first game as it is, it leaves people thinking and wondering how it will continue on. Does the game work on it's own? It does, but the ending could be better.  

• Like 1