Best Square Enix AAA JRPG this generation ?

Vivis_apprentice

Best Square Enix AAA JRPG this generation ?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite AAA JRPG title that Square Enix has released this generation

• Final Fantasy XV
    • Final Fantasy VII Remake
    • Nier Automata
    • Dragon Quest XI
    • Kingdom Hearts III

Now that we're near the end of this generation and SE has probably released all their major JRPG titles that they will (unless Babylon's Fall get released soon) what was your favorite? For me its a hard choice between DQXI and FFVIIR but mainly for nostalgic reasons i'll go with FFVII, how about you?

I did not vote Nier just because I can't see it as a fair and square JRPG. The one and only classic, genre-defining JRPG in the list is DQXI...But again, it's just a question of semantics.

Babbling about what is a JRPG and what is not I suddenly remembered I still need to play DLCs from FFXV, KH3 and Nier, but I don't think it would change my mind.

FF7 remake is great game made me want to buy the 2nd game immediately. 

DQXI is good a DQ game they did not change much stick with what made it great. 

But Nier Automata made me feel something in a game that I can't explain heck I did not kill the robots in the game if they're not attacking me. After all this year I can still remember the game vividly.

• Like 1

I would have voted for the VII remake but the last 3 chapters made the game go from a 10/10 to a 6/10 for me. So instead XV gets my vote! I would have probably voted for XIV had it been included. While A Realm Reborn and Heavensward were last gen, Stormblood and Shadowbringers are definitely this gen. 

Voted for the Remake simply because I haven't played Nier, DQ XI or KH3... however all three games are in my backlog to play. :) 

So in the race between the Remake vs XV... well. I mean, come on. No competition really.

• Like 1

Nier is fantastic but it's not really a JRPG, is it? Nor is it really a Square-Enix game since they just published it, it has Platinum Games written all over it, really, whereas the rest were developed in-house. 

7 hours ago, Vivis_apprentice said:

Sorry i didnt include it, enjoyed the time i spent with it but it was a last gen game 1f61f.png

FFXIV isn't even active/supported on PS3 anymore, is it? xD  Dunno how last gen it is when you can't even play it there anymore, and most of the content came this gen.  I'll vote for that just because it's by far my favorite and it's kinda silly to exclude it.

Second would be FFXV.  Where FFVII Remake is probably a better built game, FFXV is a (mostly) complete experience and not 1/16th of the story.  And while I was initially impressed with the combat in FFVII Remake, the further I get, the more I realize it inherited a lot of FFXV's sloppiness in a more complicated/frustrating package.

EDIT: And the Pitioss Ruins post-game is more interesting and creative than anything FFVII Remake could do by a mile.  Took FFXV from "pretty good" to "masterpiece" for me. :D

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I actually liked every game here, except for the FFVII Remake (only because I haven't played it). But my vote goes to NieR. That game is something else, and just continues to evolve until the end. And then the end itself. Also, really too many hung up on turn based equating to JRPG. Even Final Fantasy has changed from that style. Is it not a JRPG series now? Tales of and Star Ocean also don't have turn based gameplay, and are long running JRPG series.

• Like 1