30% off PS+ Subscription

hsn963

1 hour ago, majob said:

Every online PS4 game hubs through PSN and you pay to use that infrastructure the same way you pay to enter a club each time you visit. That's why when PSN is down you can't access the online even if a third party company's severs are still up. And games like Warframe are free to play on PS4 without a subscription whereas on the Xbox you must have Gold in order to play them. You want to cherry pick but fail to acknowledge the negatives on both sides.

First off, I've only ever paid to get into a club once, and it was the worst club I've ever been to, completely unrelated I know, but it's true nonetheless.

But no. The PSN acts as the wall *between* your game and the servers, when it's not running properly, the little gate in the wall that you pay to walk through is locked down until it is. It is not the servers, it does nothing but block access to the servers.

As for the free to play games, it's a bit weird, sure. Same goes for Fortnite and probably a good few others. I mean, the main difference I'd think of would be that Microsoft (supposedly, I don't really care enough to look admittedly) spend a tonne of money on actually providing servers for games themselves through Xbox Live, so I mean, if anyone has any right to charge for online, they do a lot more than PlayStation does. But realistically, if you're buying a console solely to play free to play games online, that we can both agree would make you part of the teeniest, tiniest minority yet.

8 hours ago, djb5f said:

well of course I (and others) would prefer free.  There is currently no way around it.  I would probably pay $200 a year to be able to play online; it does not mean I would like it.  But I would grin and bear it.

Also, the customer satisfaction percentages make perfect sense. Previously, subscribers were those who WANTED to.  Now, the majority are those who NEED to, as online is is an important part of most AAA games.  They don’t want to pay for it but for the full experience, they certainly need it,

Not saying it is ideal.  The only other option is to switch to Xbox but so many are invested in PlayStation (games, trophies, first-party titles, price of new console, etc.), that switching is not a viable choice either.

That's insane and you shouldn't grin and bear stuff you don't like, companies don't learn shit if you just let them get away with it. Sony wanted over a thousand dollars for the PS3 at launch here. They didn't get the warm reception they wanted, got their head back in the game, dropped the price, and came back swinging. Xbox fucked their Xbone launch hard, and WHEN WE, THE CONSUMER, SAID "NO", they had no choice but to pull their head in, and the 180 they've done is nothing short of incredible.

So basically then, you're agreeing it's shitty, but you're just fine with ponying up the money anyway?

Well considering you think backward compatibility isn't worth it, I mean, that would mean you'd be keeping your PS4 and everything still to play your PS4 games. Meaning you could go buy whichever machine you wanted next gen and actually lose nothing, so it's actually quite the viable choice. Multi generational backward compatibility would be a reason to stick with your preferred brand.