Project Cars 3 announced (August 28th, 2020)

Suminya

Honestly, this looks more like Need for Speed: Shift 3 than it does a Project Cars game. Here is some gameplay:

I am a big fan of the first two PCars games, so I have high hopes for this one as well. I'm not a huge fan of what I've seen so far, but I think as the game gets closer to release, we'll have some better looking footage.

Parker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The proper title for this game would have been NFS Shift 3 or GRID (2020), not Project Cars 3. Also, is it just me or does it actually look worse than Project Cars 2?

Edited by Hanamaru Kunikida

Seems like a major step back from Slightly Mad Studios. :hmm: Their previous games have been pretty solid from what I've heard, but this one doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

I'm planning to play Shift 1 & 2 (which I already have) and both Project Cars 1 & 2 (which I don't have) before the year ends, so I'll probably know more about their brand of racing games then.

9 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

Seems like a major step back from Slightly Mad Studios. :hmm: Their previous games have been pretty solid from what I've heard, but this one doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

I'm planning to play Shift 1 & 2 (which I already have) and both Project Cars 1 & 2 (which I don't have) before the year ends, so I'll probably know more about their brand of racing games then.

So pretty much the NFS Shift is trying to get people into sim racing (i.e car classes and such) but using arcade physics. Project Cars honestly is the best racing sim on consoles imo. It seems like SMS has decided to take the shift approach this game which I think is a bad idea, I believe they should of used a new IP

I seem to be one of the few that actually likes the direction SMS is taking here. There are enough racing sims these days — Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, iRacing, rFactor, etc. Then you’ve got the mostly sims (which are playable with a pad) like Gran Turismo, Forza, F1, and so on. I platted the original PC but it didn’t really do anything to stand out from all those.

But the market for realistic-looking accessible racers really doesn’t exist: GRID is too barebones, the NFS and Crew games are street racers, Midnight Club is dead, etc. Forza Horizon still controls a bit too much like normal Forza for the game it seems to want to be, and it’s not like there are proper tracks and race cars.

I think this could be a great opportunity for a casual but not Burnout-style-cartoony racer to pop back into every now and then, something that’s easy to play but isn’t easy itself. I’m still doubtful given how wonky PC (and presumably PC2) were in terms of the UI, but I really like the idea. Sometimes I want to play Gran Turismo and not care about anything but the actual racing, ya know? I understand other people being upset but the originals are still there and the market for true sims is really pretty crowded as it is, so there’s lots of options.

Edited by JD-D2
  • Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 4:47 AM, JD-D2 said:

I seem to be one of the few that actually likes the direction SMS is taking here. There are enough racing sims these days — Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, iRacing, rFactor, etc. Then you’ve got the mostly sims (which are playable with a pad) like Gran Turismo, Forza, F1, and so on. I platted the original PC but it didn’t really do anything to stand out from all those.

I completely disagree on the console side. Standard AC's multiplayer isn't that great, ACC has paid private servers so limits leagues going onto it and the others you mention are PC only. On the console side, my league has stuck with PCARS2 because the option just isn't there to make a step forward. 

You can make the game more accessible whilst keeping the core sim components in there. Simplify the pit strategy to make it more usable than it already is and make steps forward. People on console's options are limited in the sim department and staying on a 3-year-old game with no clear steps forward in sight despite a sequel has already annoyed people. No game provided the variety the PCARS series did and IndyCar in that game is the most enjoyable experience I've had league racing. Now they've taken steps backwards and people are rightfully frustrated.