[Rumor] Is Sony sneakily removing PS4 backwards compatibility from PS5?

grifteskymfning

A growing number of people have been reporting that the PS5 official “launch” page on Playstation Iceland has been sneakily updated to remove a statement that the PS5 will “Play a back catalog of supported PS4™ games with system update.”.

We were able to confirm at the time of writing that the page indeed used to make a mention on PS4 backwards compatibility, and this statement has been removed.

ps5_before.png

The PS5 page as it appeared on the Iceland page on playstation, a few hours ago. This page has now been removed.

ps5_after.png

By comparison, what it currently looks like on the US site

Sony had announced earlier this year that the PS5 would be backwards compatible “for some titles”, giving the precision that all PS4 titles need to go through some extensive QA before being marked as compatible with the PS5.

It’s actually unclear if the statement was removed because PS4 backwards compatibility is not going to happen after all (it would not be the first time Sony make promise on backward compatibility that they cannot keep, for example with the PS Vita), or because they did not want to scare people about the “system update” part. The hidden meaning here being that PS5 would not have PS4 backwards compatibility at launch, something very reminiscent of what we saw with the PS Vita and PSP backward compatibility.

Sony are rumored to release more information about the PS5 next week though, so hopefully we’ll know soon enough about the status of PS4 games compatibility with the PS5.

Edited by grifteskymfning
http://wololo.net/2020/05/29/rumor-is-sony-sneakily-removing-ps4-backwards-compatibility-from-ps5/

13 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Im more worried about the 3,000 games i have on ps4 as i know 2,950 of them wont be playable and even then over a thousand and a half probably will never get supported for being indie

Yyy... Not sure if I got you correctly, but you know that... You still will be able to play them on PS4?...

PS3 was released in 2006 and you can still play the games ;).

4 minutes ago, Vergil said:

How can they remove it when they already confirmed it will play ps4 games?? 

That reminds me removing possibility of installation of Linux on PS3.

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Im talking about ps5 and it's backwards compatibility because I highly doubt most of it's going to be compatible

Yep. I think such situation like with earliest models of PS3 with backwards compatibility with PS2 due to having PS2 chips in them...

https://www.lifewire.com/can-your-ps3-play-ps2-games-2717135

"The original 60GB and 20GB launch models are backward compatible with PS2 games because they have PS2 chips in them. Other models, most notably the 80GB Metal Gear Solid PS3, used to be backward compatible using emulation software, but they no longer support PS2 games."

... will not happened in PS5 case. I highly doubt that PS5 would have a "hardware" emulation of PS4/3/2, rather more "emulation software" which, as You have mentioned, will not be 100% compatible. 

46 minutes ago, Smashero said:

That reminds me removing possibility of installation of Linux on PS3.

Linux was removed because Sony didn't like that  it enabled people to use the console as a server cluster because those were consoles not selling games and services. There's no real financial incentive to remove PS4 BC when it can still sell digital PS4 games

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, majob said:

Linux was removed because Sony didn't like that  it enabled people to use the console as a server cluster because those were consoles not selling games and services. There's no real financial incentive to remove PS4 BC when it can still sell digital PS4 games

I think they also removed it because they were worried linux would create a vulnerability for people to create custom firmware on the system. Terrible mistake since that's what drove people to do it

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HAILtoSTARSCREAM said:

I doubt there's anything to it. If you watch Cerny's tech talk he states that backwards compatibility was a key point in the planning phase of the PS5.

Exactly. They mentioned that almost every game supports backwards compatibility. The feature is there, why should they remove it. Makes no sense at all

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I think they also removed it because they were worried linux would create a vulnerability for people to create custom firmware on the system. Terrible mistake since that's what drove people to do it

Removing linux was the reason that motivated failoverflow and geohot to create the first ps3 jailbreak but i still think it was not a mistake to remove linux. They messed up the ps3 root key and the possibility to spoof the ps3 firmware was the actual problem the ps3 had. Afaik there is no way to spoof a CFW on ps4 yet, which is remarkable because this generation already lasted for 6,5 years. It took 4 years on ps3.

• Like 1

I don't think they removed BC, I believe the editing on the page was to make the that area less specific the tag line above it says." Stunning Games" Then first thing below is "Marvel at incredible graphics and experience new PS5 features."

I think they just wanted to be more precise in that this is a newer better console. And having PS4 BC may downplay that. Remember their not just making this page just to attract old and current customers but new ones as well. It also may be a marketing thing as promising better graphics while having PS4 games mentioned in the next sentence may be interpreted as improved graphics or upscaling to previous Gen games that may not support it.

Yeah, them removing that statement doesn't mean anything. 

2 hours ago, grifteskymfning said:

Playstation Iceland

Did they do it in other regions as well? If not, then it just looks like a small mistake to me.

Edited by Alderriz

9 hours ago, DaivRules said:

What a troll, FUD "article".

And referring to their own article from April 2012 (2 months after launch) that Sony hadn't had 100% BC with PSP games on the Vita already as "Sony make promise on backward compatibility that they cannot keep, for example with the PS Vita" is a stretch at best, or clickbait trolling more likely.

Come on people, this is opportunist clickbait tabloid content. Don't be gullible. 

Don't worry Daiv. Sony are essentially worthless and can't keep there promise and bullshitting the people.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, UltraFire121 said:

Don't worry Daiv. Sony are essentially worthless and can't keep there promise and bullshitting the people.

None of this proves anything it's all rumors and speculation, dial down the emotion, your heart will thank you.

Edited by Jables_The_Hutt
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fabrago said:

I don't understand why this is such a big deal for some people. I guess they don't want to play next-gen games on a next-gen console

At this point it isn't a big deal or even actually happening. A minority of people just need to find something to complain about on their soapboxes

• Like 4