What's the deal with this game?

Dreakon139

It seems like a lot of the "professional" reviews I look at and read seem to be pretty harsh on this game. Yet, every person I've seen that played it seems to really enjoy it. Is the truth somewhere in the middle?

Honestly, I couldn't even make it through God of War 3 because I got waaaay too frustrated. Boss battles requiring pin-point accuracy and focus and seemed to go on forever. I'm guessing this will be similar or worse in that regard?

I thought it wasn't a bad game, fairly easy to plat as it doesn't rely on a specific difficulty. I used a guide to get all the silver coins and resolve everyone but I worked out the boss strategies myself to keep it enjoyable. If you want a hack 'n' slash that isn't too demanding (I played it on easy) and for a reasonably storyline, I think you should give it a go.

Dante was a great game, and just after its release I was pretty much wearing a flameproof suit for the pure reason that I preferred this over GOW.

I just found it to be far more fluid and engaging than any of the games in the GOW series.

I know I was in the minority for preferring this, but to this day I stand by my original opinion and would play this over GOW any day.

and just in case I didnt make my point clear enough...

Dante > GOW

• Like 1

I adored the story in this game, i felt so awesome running through the circles of hell, slashing the devils minions :awesome: I loved this game, i think the thing is that everyone sees it as a GoW copy.

I didn't see as that though, storywise this game blew GoW out of the water and the gameplay was pretty equal imo.

I thought it wasn't a bad game, fairly easy to plat as it doesn't rely on a specific difficulty.

Ooo, that's a huge plus in my book. I had to play GoW on Titan to even attempt the platinum and the pure frustration caused me to trade the damn thing back a week or two later.

If I can play through this on a more reasonable difficulty and still get that platinum, maybe it's worth looking into. :P

My question would only be, is the platinum easier than GoW?

Definitely easier, I only played it on easy as back then I was a bit cowardly when it came to difficulty settings, and I managed to defeat the final boss first time. I used Youtube for the collectibles and the Damned, nothing should give you any serious problems.

I loved it... everyone called it a blatant GOW ripoff but that didn't stop me from fully enjoying it... I played GOW 1 & 2 remake and enjoyed them but i cant bring myself to play GOW3 and the others for some reason... depends on my mood i guess...

but one thing stands firm... I loved Dante's Inferno

The game-play was definitely an absolute GOW clone, all the way down to the opening a chest/door. That being said you have to remember one thing, Kratos is the flattest single note character ever made. He... yells, and then... bashes something and... yells again, which most adolescent males think is cool. As a result, Kratos unfortunately became a popular, dare I say, iconic video game character. Dante, on the other hand, is a character that spoke, and learned, and had a bit of depth... not a good combination for the previously mentioned demographic. Dante's is still a GOW copycat though and that's what it will always be known for.

GoW 3 I played. great game. fun, awesome weapons. good story. loved the boss battles. and all the minions that I had to be dispatch. moderate challenge to get Plat. Dante's Inferno, played the demo didn't like anything about it. if your gonna make a clone of a game, clone the better aspects and make them a lil better. Dante's showed no improvement and was lacking in so many ways.

My thoughts after the demo was this game is doodo.poop-411.gif.

Having not played GOW until I bought it for my boyfriend, I loved this game. It was a clone but a clone that had a better story to it. Being a fan of the Divine Comedy, it was nice to see them take the concept of Dante's journey through inferno and make it to reality. It was honestly disgusting but it's source material was graphic.

If you are looking to plat it, it's really easy. A lot easier than GOW would be at least. The only snag I would say would be the challenge room after you've done the story but that was honestly easier than the GOW1 challenges.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright; this damn laptop just screwed-up my entire post, and have to re-type the stupid thing again.

I felt compelled to share my thoughts regarding some of the comments made above on the storylines of both the GOW series and Dante's Inferno.

I myself bought the Divine Edition of Dante's sometime last year after it fell to a stupidly affordable sub-$15 price, but have yet to play it. I have however played and earned the plat in all 3 GOW games.

I do think it is a little ridiculous to suggest that the Dante storyline is superior to those of the GOW series.

I have to say that although I have yet to play Dante's, I do know enough about the game from videos, dev diaries etc, to know that the developers themselves admit to taking substantial articistic license with their product. To say the game is very loosely based on the poem by Dante Alighieri is a massive understatement.

But when you consider that in both video game franchises, the main character is a seriously flawed anti-hero who is specifically motivated by revenge, and proceeds to slash his way to his own version of redemption - how can one then wholly believe that the Dante's Inferno storyline is better (or worse) than those of the GOW series, and vice-versa?!

Both storylines are based on the same basic premise = revenge is a means to justify the end.

I can understand some of y'all having issues with the techincal aspects of the gameplay or difficulty levels etc - but storylines?!

Again, I have yet to play Dante's - and I am looking forward to see how it stacks up to my beloved GOW franchise games, but I have to admit that GOW3 for me set the bar pretty damn high for a hack-and-slash game - the visuals were awesome and the boss battles in many instances were frustrating but so damn satisfying when getting that final kill. I am more than anything interested in the Dante developer's interpretation of the 9 circles of Hell - gameplay-wise, I expect nothing spectacular.

For those of you who have yet to go back to GOW3 because of sheer frustration or perceived diffculty with the game bosses etc - I would hope you go back to it and give it another shot - practice makes perfect. Would you not rather take a lot of pride and satisfaction in finally getting one over your own frustrations or limitations with a shiny plat OR would you rather settle for an run-of-the-mill no-big-effort substitute instead? Well, those are my tuppence worth - hope you enjoy the games, though.

Right then - off to fire-up Dark Souls before some much-needed beauty sleep.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Again, I have yet to play Dante's

I'm pretty sure you should save all your comments and opinions for when you've actually played the game. How can you suggest that saying "Dante's Inferno is better than GOW" is ridiculous without having played both?

Also, the statement that both series' storylines are based on revenge is patently false. Kratos is motivated by revenge. Dante is motivated by love and the desire for redemption. Maybe if you had actually played the game before making blanket statements, you'd know that.

• Like 3

If it is a clone of one game or another I could really care less as long as it is fun.

My concern or question to those who have played Dante's Inferno is more to do with it's overall playability. I know a few folks who have played this and have said it is glitchy and prone to locking ones console up. Has anyone here who has played it noticed this, or was this something that happened around release time and if so, has it since been fixed?

If it is a clone of one game or another I could really care less as long as it is fun.

My concern or question to those who have played Dante's Inferno is more to do with it's overall playability. I know a few folks who have played this and have said it is glitchy and prone to locking ones console up. Has anyone here who has played it noticed this, or was this something that happened around release time and if so, has it since been fixed?

I played this in September of last year and I didn't have any problems with glitches or my console locking up. This is a pretty good game too. It is a GoW clone as far as how the game is played. I guess M$ needed a GoW type game for the xbox. Iirc one of Santa Monica Studio's ex-developers headed up Dante's Inferno.

The game is fun Wade. At least I liked it. I do feel like the devs got a little lazy toward the last few circles of hell. The levels just got really drab and boring. Story is pretty good though.

• Like 1

I played it a while back but I had no issues with glitches or freezing. The game has a decent framerate, which really helps display the awesome kill animations. Yes, the mechanics are identical to GOW, but it didn't bother me at all.

The game is a lot of fun, especially if you are familiar with the literature behind the storyline. I agree with Rowdi that the later circles showed some laziness - specifically, it is never discussed why enemies from one circle are present in other circles.

The game is a lot of fun, especially if you are familiar with the literature behind the storyline.

Oh yeah...do tell? Is this also based on a Graphic Novel, or book or....?

Now you have really piqued my interest. Care to explain to those like myself who are not familiar with such.

Oh yeah...do tell? Is this also based on a Graphic Novel, or book or....?

Now you have really piqued my interest. Care to explain to those like myself who are not familiar with such.

The game is loosely based off of the first of the three sections of a poem called "The Divine Comedy", which written by a man named Dante Alighieri. In the first poem ("Inferno"), he describes the 9 Circles of Hell, which bad souls were sentenced to upon death. He describes the punishments for specific types of sins in each circle. As he descends deeper into Hell, the sins become more serious and the punishments more terrifying.

For some more information, check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)

If a sequel to the game would be made it would likely be called Dante's Purgatorio, and would describe the cleansing of Dante's soul as he prepares to enter heaven/paradise. The ending of Dante's Inferno alludes to such a journey beginning.

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure you should save all your comments and opinions for when you've actually played the game. How can you suggest that saying "Dante's Inferno is better than GOW" is ridiculous without having played both?

Also, the statement that both series' storylines are based on revenge is patently false. Kratos is motivated by revenge. Dante is motivated by love and the desire for redemption. Maybe if you had actually played the game before making blanket statements, you'd know that.

OK - first and foremost dude - if you are going to quote me to criticize me, first of all make sure you quote me properly - go back to my original post and point out to me and everyone else in the exact pixels where i actually typed the above in bold.

I NEVER said that. I said that it is pretty difficult for anyone to claim that Dante's storyline is BETTER OR WORSE than GOW's.

And both characters ARE motivated by revenge. So you thoroughly believe that revenge has no role to play in Dante's desire to run through every circle of Hell to gain back Beatrice and in so doing whoop some ass?! C'mon - it's not like he's offering hugs and kisses to every demon/bad-guy he's coming up against on his quest to gain her back, is he? No. He's tearing them to shreds. Revenge is a dish best served cold. For you to say that love is the main, if not the only, motivating factor in his quest is nonsense. Again, keep in mind that the storyline for this game bears NO RESEMBLENCE to the actual poem by Dante Alighieri, which involved NO violence by the main protagonist in the first place, but rather a guided tour of the 9 Circles of Hell. His means of dealing with foes is primarily through violence. Yes, there's a "holy" or whatever "path" there is to achieve, but it doesn't take away from the basic premise that in order to save/reunite with Beatrice you have to slay your foes.

SECONDLY, I did go out of my way several times to say that I had yet to play Dante's, but let's face it, all reviews on the game and the developer's diaries themselves made it quite clear that the storyline was NOT at all that of the original poem, and that it was an action-based hack-and-slash game premised on slashing your way thru Hell. Again - you're telling me that Dante really wants to talk it through and smother his foes with kindness and love, hus and kisses and flowers as he journeys through Hell?!

Listen - I know that he has a boner for his girl, and that he is wanting to be reunited with her, BUT you have to be pretty gulible or stubborn not to admit that revenge does not play a role in motivating him as he executes his actions through the game. Revenge is simply a means to an end. Nothing wrong with that in the context of this "story".

So again, please, feel free to refute me, but quote me correctly next time, OK? Ta.

• Like 2

And both characters ARE motivated by revenge. So you thoroughly believe that revenge has no role to play in Dante's desire to run through every circle of Hell to gain back Beatrice and in so doing whoop some ass?! C'mon - it's not like he's offering hugs and kisses to every demon/bad-guy he's coming up against on his quest to gain her back, is he? No. He's tearing them to shreds. Revenge is a dish best served cold. For you to say that love is the main, if not the only, motivating factor in his quest is nonsense. Again, keep in mind that the storyline for this game bears NO RESEMBLENCE to the actual poem by Dante Alighieri, which involved NO violence by the main protagonist in the first place, but rather a guided tour of the 9 Circles of Hell. His means of dealing with foes is primarily through violence. Yes, there's a "holy" or whatever "path" there is to achieve, but it doesn't take away from the basic premise that in order to save/reunite with Beatrice you have to slay your foes.

SECONDLY, I did go out of my way several times to say that I had yet to play Dante's, but let's face it, all reviews on the game and the developer's diaries themselves made it quite clear that the storyline was NOT at all that of the original poem, and that it was an action-based hack-and-slash game premised on slashing your way thru Hell. Again - you're telling me that Dante really wants to talk it through and smother his foes with kindness and love, hus and kisses and flowers as he journeys through Hell?!

Listen - I know that he has a boner for his girl, and that he is wanting to be reunited with her, BUT you have to be pretty gulible or stubborn not to admit that revenge does not play a role in motivating him as he executes his actions through the game. Revenge is simply a means to an end. Nothing wrong with that in the context of this "story".

I can't believe I'm arguing about this with someone who hasn't played the game, but anyways... at the outset of the story, there is no revenge. Beatrice made a deal with the devil that Dante would be faithful to her during the Crusades. He wasn't, so the devil took her. Dante is motivated by guilt over his adulterous actions, as evidenced by him stitching a cross with images of his sins to his chest. Dante is motivated by love for Beatrice, because she was faithful and he was not. To Dante, he is the one who belongs in hell, not her. Finally, Dante is motivated by redemption - that by tearing through hell destroying everything will somehow wash away his sins and gain forgiveness.

Answer me this: is Dante's ultimate goal to get Beatrice back, or to destroy Lucifer? The answer is the former, although he has to destroy Lucifer to accomplish his goal.

A character's motivation may have little to do with the actions he chooses. Just because a character is "tearing them to shreds" doesn't mean that his or her motivation is revenge. Just because a character is motivated by love doesn't mean he has to "smother his foes with kindness and love." Did I quote you on all that correctly? Just checking.

• Like 4

I can't believe I'm arguing about this with someone who hasn't played the game, but anyways... at the outset of the story, there is no revenge. Beatrice made a deal with the devil that Dante would be faithful to her during the Crusades. He wasn't, so the devil took her. Dante is motivated by guilt over his adulterous actions, as evidenced by him stitching a cross with images of his sins to his chest. Dante is motivated by love for Beatrice, because she was faithful and he was not. To Dante, he is the one who belongs in hell, not her. Finally, Dante is motivated by redemption - that by tearing through hell destroying everything will somehow wash away his sins and gain forgiveness.

Answer me this: is Dante's ultimate goal to get Beatrice back, or to destroy Lucifer? The answer is the former, although he has to destroy Lucifer to accomplish his goal.

A character's motivation may have little to do with the actions he chooses. Just because a character is "tearing them to shreds" doesn't mean that his or her motivation is revenge. Just because a character is motivated by love doesn't mean he has to "smother his foes with kindness and love." Did I quote you on all that correctly? Just checking.

Love your post.

But, who's "arguing" with you? I put down my opinions thru a post, you responded and challenged them, I retorted, and here you have replied again as well. It was my original opnion I posted - these boards are for contributing to discussions - it's not like I specifically wrote it up especially to wind you up, you know. Calm down, dude.

Secondly, you do realize there are videos on the likes of youtube where you can view the storyline via cutscene only - you don't necessariy have to play the game itself to know the storyline? Rightee-o, just checking.

And thirdly, yes, as difficult as you may find it to believe, I do accept and agree with the base of your reponse here. I KNOW the storyline by now. And I am quite familiar with the concept of character study and its use in a variety of stories - from classical literature to more modern works of prose, and am familiar with Dante's original work.

I really have no interest in boring the other forum users by getting into a tit-for-tat with you about motivation and whether or not it does indeed have little or more to do with a person's/character's actions, but in one final commentary with regard to this topic, I do believe that revenge has a role to play through Dante (the character in this specific storyline) in his quest to gain back Beatrice and absolve his own sins. I would have a difficult time considering that he would not take satisfaction in giving his foes their come-uppance for their role to play in keeping him from getting Beatrice back as he would wish her.

Again, in my opinion, that his motivations are chiefly rooted in rescuing her from her own personal tragedy whilst absolving and redeeming himself for his own recognized sins are apparent to me - clear as day - but I am firmly of the view that his journey through pain, through Hell is made possible also by a motivation to get his back on those dark forces that are responsible for her corruption, and his own. And he achieves this success through the extreme nature of the punishments he takes out on his foes. These are not just a gunshot here and there - the weapon of choice is Death's own scythe (gotta admire the symbolism there), and it is used to full force in the darker path the developer has made available to play through.

Dante is after all, a tragic hero. As such, he is an imperfect hero. And just because the game guide or the cut scenes may not spell out the word 'revenege' as a driving factor in this character's actions or motivations, the fact is the game is based on taking on the very forces of darkness - none other than those of Hell and its masters on their own turf and subjecting them to painful ends as terrible (or in some cases, worse) than they have inflicted on others, in order to succeed in and win the game.

Now then, there again is my opinion. Whether or not you agree with it, it's all good - believe me, I am not losing sleep over it.

But thanks for engaging me in discussion; it was certainly more amusing to respond to, compared to the usually unimaginative or trophy-obsessive threads which normally appeared on the other site.

Bye now.

• Like 2