Why doesn't Sony do digital pre-orders anymore?

CaptainJeff87

Currently they only have a few that have been available for a long time anyway

Three games I'm wondering about are Spongebob BFBB, Destroy All Humans reboot and Madden 21

BFBB and Destroy All Humans are available on other platforms but not Sony for some reason

They did the same with Maneater as well

Who knows with Sony, they're so inconsistent with everything they do. 

Maybe other platforms strike a deal to have the digital pre-order exclusive to their system? I don't know if that's a thing or not. They definitely offer different incentives for pre-ordering here or there, so some kind of deals are made at least.

Edited by yowzagabowza

8 minutes ago, thedey2 said:

why you want to preorder a digital game? xD I can understand if we talk about a retail copy due to a possible limit in the amount of copies but... a digital game? xD

In many cases, you can download it in advance so it’s ready to go when it goes live.

• Like 3

I honestly don't mind if a game doesn't come out as pre-order, I rather companies do an early purchase bonus rather than pre-order so people can see reviews and see videos about the game so it can help the decision of purchasing now, waiting for a sale, or never buying it.

1 hour ago, Parker said:

A lot of times Sony will allow digital pre-orders to pre-download a few days before release so if you have slow internet the game can download over those few days and be ready to play as soon as the game unlocks.

Parker 

Oh, well i guess that makes sense.

Thanks

1 hour ago, thedey2 said:

why you want to preorder a digital game? xD I can understand if we talk about a retail copy due to a possible limit in the amount of copies but... a digital game? xD

I pre ordered both TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima digitally when I had the money to do so. The way it looks right now, I wouldn't have the money for TLOU II next week. That could be the case with others also.

One other theory is, maybe they are starting to prepare the store for PS5 games and will allow Pre order of PS5 launch games. Just a theory of mine.

Edited by snakebit10

2 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Also sometimes digital themes avatars soundtracks or sometimes even bonus games like ace combat

You didn't have to pre-order the digital version of Ace Combat 7 in order to get Ace Combat 5. I bought my copy off amazon and got my code through e-mail.