What's up with Super Street Fighter II' Turbo difficulty?

Hello everyone,

I started playing this collection recently and although it's probably not the best way to learn (because of how the CPU reacts) I am doing the games in order of release. Street Fighter (1) was horrible and even though I'm not good at any of them I managed to complete the next ones without too much trouble (apart from facing Ryu right before the bosses) considering how cheap the CPU is when reading your inputs. Now, it was already obvious for each game, but when I started II' Turbo it has become a nightmare. The CPU is like on god mode, read the inputs, is super aggressive, get some crazy combos, always have the priority and all .. as early as the second opponent. I even had trouble defeating the first stage. Anyone knows what is up with that? Am I missing something? I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

• Like 1

So, as MarcusPunisher mentioned, the older fighting games (Arcade games in general, for that matter) were based off of a mentality of ‘I’m trying to take all your damn money!’.  With that being said, most  fighting games CPU have a ‘if you do *this*, I’ll do *that* approach to difficulty; games like Super Turbo, MK 1 & 2, and all SNK games before the year 2000 on the highest difficulty level were unforgiving, if you made a move in a non-tactical manner.

I’m not going to tell you to ‘Git Gud!’.  What I’ll say though is that you have to get your muscle-memory to react to (damn near) every single move of every single opponent.  Which is a recipe for domination for any other genre of games, but is Standard Operating Procedures for the CPU in fighting games (moreso against Intermediate or better human players).  That only comes from a lot of getting beat, realizing patterns, and coming back for more.  You will ‘feel’ the opportunities for you to capitalize on the CPU, instead of obnoxiously throwing out moves with no plan.

So yeah, I guess I’m saying ‘Git Gud’, but...I didn’t say it!  ?

• Like 3

Thank you for your answers. I am aware they are the Arcade versions and were designed around that to take as many coins as possible from the players. But I was mostly wondering about II' Turbo compared to the others as it seems a lot harder from the start. I appreciate your tips and that is what I was going to do. I'll keep practicing and try to learn more. :)

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No I think you're correct. When I went through all the games one by one in order. I had trouble with Street Fighter 1 and then Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Every other game was decent difficulty. As if the collection default difficulty is incorrect for only the the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo ROM.

I also played them in order so after Super Street Fighter 2 I was thinking, hmm this is way unfair. It isn't you.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 6/9/2020 at 1:42 AM, ShinVeNNoM said:

Hello everyone,

I started playing this collection recently and although it's probably not the best way to learn (because of how the CPU reacts) I am doing the games in order of release. Street Fighter (1) was horrible and even though I'm not good at any of them I managed to complete the next ones without too much trouble (apart from facing Ryu right before the bosses) considering how cheap the CPU is when reading your inputs. Now, it was already obvious for each game, but when I started II' Turbo it has become a nightmare. The CPU is like on god mode, read the inputs, is super aggressive, get some crazy combos, always have the priority and all .. as early as the second opponent. I even had trouble defeating the first stage. Anyone knows what is up with that? Am I missing something? I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

If you have a second controller you can use the trick to get to Akuma easily!?