Fector's Challenge Complete - My Tips

Vellicordial

Thank you for the post. I have been struggling with this trophy for awhile now. It is a very weird trophy to have in such an easy laid-back game. My problem is that I never seem to get enough coins. Which is the only luck based part of it. The rest is skill and knowledge. Knowing the layout and how the enemies move and react is crucial. The part about trapping faster enemies behind slower ones is great advise. I didn't figure that out until way later into several tries and a whole lot of hours. Another good tip is using the terrain as well causing them to bottleneck at chock points to slow them down as well. The closes I was able to get with this trophy was the second to the last level. The one right before the final boss. I was saving a wagon wheel for the boss fight and was overwhelmed and died. That was a very somber moment for me. I didn't know if I wanted to smash my controller through my TV or just cry. I took a few months off after that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IntroPhenom said:

Wait, you popped the two Fector's Challenge trophies as your first two trophies from the game?  Jumped right into it, huh?  :) 

It's the best way to do it, at least in my opinion. That way your hands are free from blisters from all that farm work and you're not to drunk from hanging out with Pam.

• Like 4

I'm not here to completely shut down your attempts to help here, I think it's great that you're trying, but I feel like it's kind of misleading.

As I've mentioned in other topics, the mini-game is in fact, almost entirely reliant on RNG. So although advice can help, most of the real advice has already been covered; going for Damage first if possible; ensuring that you have 1 Damage upgrade and 1 Speed Shot upgrade by the time you finish the first world; moving at a diagonal slows enemy movement to a slight degree, etc.

But here's an example:

On 6/9/2020 at 8:12 AM, Vellicordial said:

5) Personally I found fully upgrading the gun was the way to go. This is because the final stages are fairly even in difficulty despite which route you go, (gun or damage) except when you fully upgrade the gun you can get a guaranteed sheriff's badge for the final boss so you can cheese him. It's must more cost efficient as well so you will be able to pull this off more often than trying to go for max ammo upgrade. I was lucky enough to get the trophy the first time I attempted to do the run this way, & it felt much easier.

This is misleading advice because it's extremely reliant on a ton of Coins to drop. 15 Coins for the first upgrade + 30 for the next + 45 for the final is already 90 Coins, which doesn't even factor in the cost of the Sheriff Badge, and it assumes that you didn't take a single Speed Shot upgrade, which is unlikely. The majority of my numerous attempts, I rarely picked up the amount of Coin to afford that (maybe ~5 times out of nearly 100 attempts).

Not only that though, but this also assumes you have the appropriate amount of Coin at the right times. Most of the time when I actually went for the final Damage upgrade, I was only ever to afford it on the last stage where the shop appears. Since the shop disappears after you buy something, that meant I never actually had a chance to ever buy a Badge.

I think it would be better if there was more detailed information out there that hasn't really been covered. For example, I found out that on stage 1-4 (the stage with the "box" in the middle), I found almost guaranteed success if I stuck to the corner, outside of the box (I always chose the NW). This makes it difficult to collect Coin as you kill things out of the North and West gates, but it is really safe as shooting in any practical direction is likely going to kill an enemy. I did hover, going left/right and occasionally up/down, but always staying relatively close to the corner. If I was starting to get overwhelmed, usually tucking myself as far into the corner as possible, and shooting predominately in a diagonal fashion, it would clear a lot of enemies that got close.

Something else in the first world that I don't think has ever been mentioned - I'm like 95% sure that the "turtle" guys do not drop anything if they are killed in their "spike" form (not sure if it's a bug or not). Although this seems discouraging, I would almost always ignore them, if possible, and allow them to spike because no matter where they do it, they will mess up the other enemies' pathways.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:12 AM, Vellicordial said:

10) This trophy appears to be very luck based at first glance but I believe skill & grit are much more important. I did not earn this trophy until I was getting to the final 3 stages consistently without dying on nearly every run, which I did not believe was possible when I had first begun.

This is false information. It is very, very, luck based. Enemy spawn patterns (where they come from) are randomized; how fast they come out of the gate (the time between 1 wave and the next) are randomized; the amount of enemies in any given wave from a single instance of spawning are randomized; enemy movement is slightly randomized (they don't always go straight for the player, they sometimes wander just slightly); and obviously Coins and Items are randomized. Not only are Items randomized, but there's competition within the Item pool; even if they have the same drop rate, this means that you could get runs where you get a significant amount of Coffee and 1 Ups, but little of anything else.

Edited by Whirled03

8 hours ago, Whirled03 said:

This is misleading advice because it's extremely reliant on a ton of Coins to drop. 15 Coins for the first upgrade + 30 for the next + 45 for the final is already 90 Coins, which doesn't even factor in the cost of the Sheriff Badge, and it assumes that you didn't take a single Speed Shot upgrade, which is unlikely. The majority of my numerous attempts, I rarely picked up the amount of Coin to afford that (maybe ~5 times out of nearly 100 attempts).

For this I meant fully upgrading the attack speed, my bad. the final upgrade is only 30 coins so it's much easier to obtain. I also agree that this game is very luck based I just found skill & grit more important. I found that the better I got at the game the more consistent I was getting to the final stages. I don't believe enemy spawn points are important if you just stay close to the center and let them come out so the items don't drop at their spawn. You can survive without getting a crazy amount of items as well. A lot of runs where I would only get coffee or any other useless items early I would just keep going, it always seemed to balance out at some point. Runs where I would die early I just kept going & I would try to beat Fector without picking up any items for the rest of the run. It made me realize how possible the game was without a ton of them. These were just tips that I felt needed to be stressed or that I found myself after noticing where I was falling short, so other "more detailed" tips wouldn't have been relevant to my post, because they did not fall under the category that I specified at the beginning of my post.

Edited by Vellicordial