Trophies you thought you didn't have the skill to do but you managed to do it.

charxsetsuna

• 2 months later...

There are a few that come to mind on this profile. 

Yakuza Kiwami: Legend. 

Now the legend mode is not tough except for chapter 9 where you have to battle some goons, then a boss fight and then a car shootout section. I failed the shooting section 32 times and almost gave up, but on the 33rd attempt everything went to plan and I smashed it. 

Resident Evil 7: Ethan must die mode. Because of the rng involved for the loot boxes, you may only end up with a knife by the time you reach the last boss, and to do that is beyond my skill level. I think it was 24 attempts or something and then I got it, but even then I had luck on my side. If I hadn't turned to my right and shit myself because the boss was there, firing the flame thrower and triggering a mine, I may have had to have done even more attempts. 

Final Fantasy X Remaster: Chocobo race.

100+ attempts it took. Again Japanese RNG plays a big part in your succeeding. But that along side horrible controls made this very hard for me. 

I think they're probably the only ones I thought I would never be able to do but stuck with them until I succeeded. 

My psn name changed so I removed the parts that no longer make sense but the hardest trophies for me were:

The DLC time trials in Dying light but ultimately the only trophy I gave up on was from TableTop Racing:

32Lae5fdc.pngSupernova!

It required 3 stars for each event in the dlc I put it off for ages until I got sick of that 1 unearned trophy. Then I eventually mastered (mastered is a strong word)... I eventually rose to the challenge. Now I’m super careful with driving games.

Edited by Quiet-Empath
Psn name changed, post updated
  • Like 1

Yakuza Kiwami: Perfectionist - It was my 1st UR plat, didn't know anything of mahjong at the time, but ended up learning the basics and got the plat.

Zombi: Unstoppable - Honestly I'd never do it without backing up my savefile.

Judgment: KamuroGo Master - Took me a week to finish PuyoPuyo

Fall Guys: Infallible - it's really hard even with the exploit

Still have a few games on my list I still don't know if I'll be able to complete, hopefully I can lol

Bloodborne plat. I was hesitant to even buy the game since games notorious for their high difficulty are usually beyond my skill level; I expected to permanently ragequit at some point. Then I managed to beat Gascoigne after a ton of struggle, something clicked, and a few weeks later the game + DLC was 100% beaten.

• Like 4

There are many games I can put here, but I've narrowed it down to three...

=============

Super Meat Boy - I already said a great deal about this game, but it is no doubt my proudest platinum and may forever be my rarest on my trophy profile.

I consider myself fairly good at platformers. I grew up on 8 bit/16 bit generation Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog games, played a number of platformers both on Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. So I'm definitely no beginner nor do I outright suck, but Super Meat Boy took a level of dedication and perseverance I never experienced in any other game.

The last few no death trophies were the real killer, and definitely a platinum breaker. I had to watch a bunch of YouTube videos and some footage of MatteSMB, considered to be the best Super Meat Boy player in the world, to really push myself to get those no death trophies and finally earn the platinum.

Impossible Boy alone took around 35 - 40 hours of practice, and then putting that practice into actually doing all the levels in Dark Cotton Alley without dying. If you feel overly scared and nervous about this game, then don't bother with the platinum trophy. You will lose years of your life and probably grow some grey hairs in the process.

Vanquish - Tactical Challenger trophy nonetheless.

Challenge 6 alone took around 12 - 15 hours, and that was after watching numerous videos of people getting it done. I don't know about a 9 out of 10 difficulty for this game, but it is most definitely at least a 7 - 8 out of 10 in difficulty.

The last two waves in Challenge 6 will test your mettle, skill, timing and reflexes. Older people who have lost their reflexes will find this challenge insanely difficult. With some determination, I was able to get this trophy and bag the platinum.

Capcom Arcade Cabinet - entire trophy list.

This collection is proof Capcom does not screw around when it comes to designing hard trophy lists. I feel this is the most difficult non platinum on my entire trophy account, the 100 completion rate sits at a ridiculously low 0.13 percent on PSNProfiles.

I have one trophy (Wingate Whacker) that sits on the top of my trophy cabinet and I have it there for a good reason. Gunsmoke is easily one of the hardest old school arcade games I have ever played. It is downright brutal and unforgiving. Seemingly short, it took me 10 - 12 hours banging my head against the wall before I was able to beat the game.

Two games (Commando and Son Son) are unfinished and I plan to come back to them at some point. But holy shit are these games hard. What's worse is the two games I have left have no continues, which make both of them a bear for getting the 100 percent in this collection.

• Like 4

Hands down it’s Fector’s Challenge in Stardew Valley. I spent a good two weeks spending hours a day trying to pop this trophy and get through all the levels without getting hit. Sat down one day pretty dejected about it thinking it wasn’t happening and decided play just a few attempts before dinner, cued up some random episode of kitchen nightmares and just relaxed. First attempt I got all the way to 3-3 and died on the hoard with no power ups and I got super locked in. Next try I was finally able to pull off some extremely clutch upgrades early and get a sheriff’s badge going into the final boss fight. 

Only happened because I had accepted I wouldn’t be able to get it in my mind and just relaxed and wasn’t so on edge about it. 

Felt better than getting my degree and I didn’t even have to go in debt for it

• Like 1

Not super amazing, but just did Halloween Forever. One HP mode is stressful and I failed probably 30ish attempts at it. Was debating pushing it to the side for a while and coming back to it, but pulled it off tonight. I'm surprised that the percentage for it is so high. I was expecting it to be easier because of that.

Another one was Becomes the Master from Titanfall 2, the first time I did it, I spent an hour on it a day for several days before I got good enough to do it. 

Just in general, beating a From Software game was also something I wasn't sure I could do when I first attempted Bloodborne. It became one of my favorite games ever though. I also enjoyed Dark Souls Remastered. I don't like Dark Souls 2 though. My character is sitting abandoned inside of some lava area shortly after the smelter demon, I think was it's name.

**Edit**

OMG I forgot Beat Saber! I gave up on that Flawless trophy completely. I just thought I just wasn't fast enough to do it. Tried and tried and tried for a while. But couldn't do it. I kept playing the game because I enjoyed it and it makes me sweat. Realized my scores were starting to get close. Got the trophy about two days later after that realization. I would guess I have 5x as many hours as the trophy guide suggests.

Edited by Herr Hieb

1L1fe6b5.png

Nba2k16 :platinum:

This one, when i start it i wasn't able to win an exibition match. 

I done the carrier story, various miscellaneous trophy, boosted some others, than i challenge myself to continue. 

Six months later... Beaten the myteam dominion mode, reached 10 match in the Gauntlet mode with a 9-1 record, found all runes and the plat popped. 

• Like 2

Two games come into mind and both have a very similar trophy I thought I couldn’t do at the time anyways.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 - A New Avenger - Complete 320 missions

Blazblue CentralFiction - Blue Flamed Challenger - Completed all of a single characters challenges

Both were quite difficult for me as at the time, I didn’t have the dexterity but year(s) later I returned and manager to complete them

• Like 1

Im the kind of guy that truely believes I can max out any game I put my mind too.

Yes Ive had games were it seemed near impossible for me too get the 100% 

Vanquish, DMC4, Metal Gear Rising, Black Knight Sword(Highly Underrated game)This is all xbox 360 btw

But I always came out on top, and carried that into my ps4 trophies as well.

That was how I feltUntill I tackled Mein Leben for Wolfensetin 2 the New Colosses.

This was the 1st game in a super long time to give me that feeling of self dout.

I probbly went tru 70 or so runs untill I beat it.

I kpet just dying over and over again.

Had to sit tru the 9min intro over and over again.

I legit thoght I was gonna have too call it quits.

You probbly know how that went, but it just goes to show, there is always a higher mountin to climb. 

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 2

I must say Max Payne 3 shadow rushed me trophy was the point to brake or die. 
My first playthrough of the game was so bad couldn’t aim properly and died many times I said there is no way I will beat the entire game without dying and timed.

But my friends always support me and so I did practice pretty much every single day until I pulled it off with only few attempts. I’m experienced in those modes so I could handle the pressure in the last levels. It’s one of my second favorite games!! ?

Wolfenstein 2 first time I played I knew I wouldn’t get the platinum but look now I done the 2 stacks.
But it’s satisfying in the end after all the pain and hard work that you did cause I get confidence now I only look at the game and will know exactly if I will get plat or not.

Edited by FearlessElle

Stardew Valley - Fector's Challenge

Unravel Two - Hideaway Gold Medal

The Stardew Valley one especially. I don't consider myself to be a great player at any game really, at most I'm generally competent and can get the job done for most tasks if I dedicate enough time. The thing with Stardew's mini game is it's a complete 180 from the peaceful tranquil life in Pelican Town that now becomes a bullet hell survival where even if you only die once through this difficult game mode, the trophy becomes null. But I just kept practicing at it, and eventually I became good enough to achieve it. 

Unravel Two for me is impressive given the fact it requires a mix of determination, skill, and patience given there's around an agonizing 40-second wait time every time you try and re-do the speedrun. It's famous on here in the forums for being infuriating. But after oh so many attempts, I managed to do it. 

• Like 3

1. Beat Zico: HD - WipEout Omega Collection

Probably the hardest trophy I’ve ever earned, because holy moly, is this time trial ruthless. Any mistake is fatal to the integrity of your run, and you will feel defeated when you were off by only a few milliseconds. I even got to a point where I thought that I couldn’t get a better time, simply because I thought I got a run that I couldn’t beat. After many, many hours of consistent frustration, practice, and trial and error, I beat the time by 0.02 seconds.

2. The Dash Eternal - Hyper Light Drifter

Trying to press the cross button in perfect rhythm 800 times was definitely not a fun experience. I couldn’t breach 200 for the longest time, even with a metronome. I honestly thought it was a platinum killer. However, one day, I got lucky with a metronome and hit 680, and I grew more confident. Then sometime after, I got the trophy with no M&K, no metronome, no chain dash costume. All with a controller in a red costume with the volume off. Never thought that would’ve happened.

3. Elite Campaign Legend - WipEout Omega Collection

A lot of you are going to disagree when I say that this trophy was rock hard for me, at least in the WipEout HD campaign, especially in the Meltdown event. Before I go on why I thought this was hard, I wish to point out that I have had little experience with racers like WipEout, so I dropped myself into the lion’s den. I had a good feel for things until I reached the final event in HD, called Meltdown, which completely killed my confidence at first. On top of the blistering speeds of Phantom class, the A.I. also loved to torment me as well, doing whatever they can to prevent me from getting in the lead. They often liked to have the guy in last place get a missile and hit me, putting me back in last place, snubbing any hope of winning that race. On top of that, THEY ALWAYS GET TURBO, WHILE I GET MINES WHEN I’M STILL STUCK IN LAST PLACE! *Ahem* sorry about that.

tl;dr: These were hard. I over explained everything. I’m aware.

• Like 4

Tricky Towers (Platinum) - I've always looked at games like Tetris, Columns, and Dr. Mario like they were well outside the scope of my gaming ability. It was as though my brain took one glance at these games and said, "um...no thanks." Trying to understand where the pieces should fall and in what arrangement seemed like a hopeless task. I would always get overwhelmed, I would always get impatient, and I would always inevitably give up. The only difference with Tricky Towers is that I went in determined not to give up. Like the games that came before, I was constantly overwhelmed and impatient, but I started to learn.

Patterns started to form, the pieces started fitting together, and my knowledge of the game started to accumulate. Eventually, I could tell what would work and what wouldn't. I learned which pieces to drop where to build a strong foundation. I understood how careful weight distribution was essential to keeping my tower from teetering in the wind. And, inevitably, I earned the platinum. Tricky Towers taught me that you don't need some imaginary set of skills that you think you don't have to succeed at puzzle games like Tetris. The only skills you need are determination and patience.  

Skullgirls 2nd Encore (Overruled!) - Like Tricky Towers and other tile-matching puzzle games, fighting games have always been another weakness of mine. Stringing together combos to annihilate your opponents seemed like it required a level of play that was completely foreign to me. It still is if I'm being honest. But one trophy finally gave me a taste of that strange and incomprehensible world: "Overruled!" In order to earn this trophy, you needed to pass all 56 combo trials in the game (4 for each character). Being inexperienced with fighting games, the difficulty completely blindsided me. Some of these combos are so complex that they required hours of practice in order to perform them even a single time.

I wasn't at all prepared for that sort of challenge and was nearly reduced to tears by the game's difficulty. So I took things one step at a time, scaling back my expectations to completing at least 1 trial per day. Learning combos was a slow and mentally exhausting process but eventually things would click and the combo would appear in one set of graceful motions as if by magic. Combo after combo was painstakingly grinded out until, one day, there was nothing left. I had my platinum and now understood the strange world of fighting games a little better than I had in the weeks before. 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 2

Doing the Overseer trophy for U3 on two different accounts.

16 hours ago, ShahinMiah said:

Blazblue CentralFiction - Blue Flamed Challenger - Completed all of a single characters challenges

There is a glitch to pop that, btw. I did 3 characters’ 100% challenges by just repeating the same normal ones.

Edited by Roronora_Zoro666

Recently the Hard Get Theres in THPS 1+2, I pretty much hit a wall where I didn't feel like I was actually getting better and looked forward to see that most of them just appeared to get harder from there. In reality I was stuck on Downhill Jam due to the annoying properties of getting thrown off the large ramp and then struggling with the very long manual, but found there was a far simpler way of doing it that didn't involve looping the whole level. The level I had looked ahead on was School II, which in fairness is probably one of the hardest (at least top 4, Mall was definitely harder but the elevator jump sucked) in terms of straight skill with no dodgy gaps. So really I just got a warped perspective of what was ahead. In the end I just needed a break and finished all of the remaining Get Theres the day after I took a break. 

What's weird to me though is I rarely come across something that I perceive as too hard for me, things like Mein Leben (completed twice) have always felt like a challenge that I know I can beat eventually. Usually if I drop a hard game it's because I don't want to commit the time to perfecting it like SMB. With THPS though it really did feel like something I wasn't going to accomplish, probably compounded by the fact that even as a kid I never got close to some of the feats the game requires of you and I pretty much played exclusively with cheats back then. Also doesn't help that in a lot of the videos of others doing the Hard Get Theres you often see them maintain ridiculous speed during manuals or see them get huge air going off a ramp while manualing. It just looks impossible and at least in my experience often just felt like fighting a wonky physics system.

Edited by stargate1995