Strange and Weird Sickles?

I've gotten all the other tools and records that villagers give you but for some reason I can't get these two. 

Some sites say that Gustafa gives you the strange sickle when you go inside his hut when he is in there. Some say that it's not gustafa who gives you the strange sickle but Cody, so I befriended them both, giving gifts almost everyday for an entire year (im on chapter 3 winter now) and still nothing. The only thing gustafa gave me was a drum.

Same story for Dr. Hardy, others say you need the big field (which I have), others say you also need to have 3/4 of your field fertilized. I fertilized them all already still nothing.

Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong? 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi I was wondering how you resolved these issues.

Is it Cody or Gustafa because I am in the same boat?

I am still on year two so I am not stressed about it because it's a fifty fifty but would like to know who gives it. I know it's Gustafa in the one for the Gamecube but I was wondering if that was changed in Special Edition.

I actually got Hardy's already in year two. One of the small things I remembered was to constantly shower him with gift during year one and the first half of year 2. It was around the fall with clear skies and I followed the whole number generator with the cut scene's. For what I am talking about go to the forum called Collecting "nices" on this site.

But yeah, thanks for the clarification :D Just wanted to make sure because when I was doing my own research I saw a video with the original version showing Gustafa.

And yeah the guides on the sites and forums on the site has been super helpful!