RPG Recommendations

hittheroadbucky

Sorry if this thread isn’t in the right place ?

Basically, I’ve been craving another RPG to get into after getting the plat in Skyrim. A lot of the games I’ve been looking at are going to require multiple playthroughs (usually on the highest difficulty) which is a bit daunting considering the length of these games.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good RPGs that don’t require multiple playthroughs? 

• Like 2

Dragon Age Inquisition was a great game but if you want to do it in one playthrough you have to do it on the hardest difficulty. You can drop the difficulty after the main story is complete but I would not recommend 1 playthrough unless it was your second time going for it (I have it completed on PS3 and PS4).

Final Fantasy X can be done in one playthrough with one maybe 2 missable trophies but has some serious endgame grinding for the numerous super bosses.

Dragon Quest XI was great and I don't recall any missables. 

Can't think of any other recently played RPG's that can be done in one go.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the recommendations!

I have been considering Persona 5 for a while. Earthlock looks really interesting too, that’s one that I’ve not heard of before ?

Nier Automata is another one I’ve been considering! I’ll need to look into the Ys games I have heard some really good things about them ? 

I’ll have a look into Dragon Quest! I hear that game series mentioned a bit on the PlayStation access YouTube channel but I’ve never played them before ?

Dragon Age Inquisition (and any other Bioware game) usually requires at least 1 playthrough but I would suggest doing it over 2 so that you can enjoy the story. Also understanding the skills and characters helps a lot in the nightmare modes.

Off the top of my head, three fantasy RPGs that can be done in a single playthrough are Final Fantasy 12, 15 and The Witcher. Have you ever considered an MMO? I don't recommend it for a quick plat but you might like FF14 if you're looking for something more long term.

Does it have to be fantasy? AC Odyssey and Origins and Tomb Raider are RPGs that can be platted in one playthrough. Horizon Zero Dawn too. 

Another loosely fitting RPG is Subnautica which you might like.

Is there room for PS3 recommendations? Tales of Xilia 1 and 2. Dragon Age 2 (but the same rules as Inquisition).

Edited by GarryKE

9 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Skyrim was one of my first platinums, and after finishing that I was also scrambling around looking for similar RPGs to play. Some great ones I found that I would highly recommend:

• Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)
  • Dragon Age II (PS3 - May require 2 playthroughs)
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4)
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3)
  • Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4)
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Dark Souls 1-3 (PS4)
  • Bloodborne
  • Greedfall (haven’t played this myself but I’ve heard great things, and it looks very similar to both Dragon Age & Assassin’s Creed IMO. Requires 2 playthrough a though)

All of these are fantastic games. One of the coolest and more underrated from this list though would be Dragon’s Dogma. Undoubtedly one of the coolest and most unique RPGs I’ve played, and the combat is fantastic. Check it out!

Greedfall is one that my friend has been playing and he’s said it’s fantastic. I’ll definitely check out Dragons Dogma! ?

9 hours ago, GarryKE said:

Dragon Age Inquisition (and any other Bioware game) usually requires at least 1 playthrough but I would suggest doing it over 2 so that you can enjoy the story. Also understanding the skills and characters helps a lot in the nightmare modes.

Off the top of my head, three fantasy RPGs that can be done in a single playthrough are Final Fantasy 12, 15 and The Witcher. Have you ever considered an MMO? I don't recommend it for a quick plat but you might like FF14 if you're looking for something more long term.

Does it have to be fantasy? AC Odyssey and Origins and Tomb Raider are RPGs that can be platted in one playthrough. Horizon Zero Dawn too. 

Another loosely fitting RPG is Subnautica which you might like.

Is there room for PS3 recommendations? Tales of Xilia 1 and 2. Dragon Age 2 (but the same rules as Inquisition).

I’ve tried a couple MMOs before, Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls, and I did really enjoy them. I know they have a trial version of FF14, with the trial are you able to access the whole game up to level 35 or are you confined to certain areas? ? 

6 hours ago, hittheroadbucky said:

I’ve tried a couple MMOs before, Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls, and I did really enjoy them. I know they have a trial version of FF14, with the trial are you able to access the whole game up to level 35 or are you confined to certain areas? 1f914.png 

You can get up to level 50 I think. But it really is a longterm game. The story itself, especially during the end of the Realm Reborn level 50 story, takes a long time. But the effort of getting to 80 and enjoying everything in the game is worth it.

If you decide to play it join Moogle and come find me and I'll help you out :)

• Like 1

If you are looking for something completely different, check out Cat Quest or Cat Quest 2. These are short, fun, quirky, hilarious RPG's with a ton of puns in them that don't take too long and everything in these games can be cleaned up post-game if you want. I also love the art style in them personally and found them to be extremely fun to play. Not too difficult at all as well, which is a bonus.

Other than that I can completely vouch for Dragon's Dogma, especially the Dark Arisen version of the game. But I am totally bias towards the game, given that I've bought the game four times on three different systems now. It's currently in my ps4 backlog, waiting to finish up some other stuff so I can completely enjoy it slowly again. xD It is in the top 3 of my favorite RPG's of all time. It's a rare gem but it takes a certain mindset to play the game I feel, cause there are... obvious flaws. But it's one of those flawed gems that somehow is still so completely addicting and beautiful even in a flawed state. There's even speculation that a second Dragons Dogma might be in the works... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GarryKE said:

You can get up to level 50 I think. But it really is a longterm game. The story itself, especially during the end of the Realm Reborn level 50 story, takes a long time. But the effort of getting to 80 and enjoying everything in the game is worth it.

If you decide to play it join Moogle and come find me and I'll help you out :)

Aw really? That’s good then! Also another question about the game, is it a monthly subscription? So if I had the trial version and then bought the full game, I’d have to pay a membership fee on top of that? ?

3 hours ago, Sword said:

If you are looking for something completely different, check out Cat Quest or Cat Quest 2. These are short, fun, quirky, hilarious RPG's with a ton of puns in them that don't take too long and everything in these games can be cleaned up post-game if you want. I also love the art style in them personally and found them to be extremely fun to play. Not too difficult at all as well, which is a bonus.

Other than that I can completely vouch for Dragon's Dogma, especially the Dark Arisen version of the game. But I am totally bias towards the game, given that I've bought the game four times on three different systems now. It's currently in my ps4 backlog, waiting to finish up some other stuff so I can completely enjoy it slowly again. xD It is in the top 3 of my favorite RPG's of all time. It's a rare gem but it takes a certain mindset to play the game I feel, cause there are... obvious flaws. But it's one of those flawed gems that somehow is still so completely addicting and beautiful even in a flawed state. There's even speculation that a second Dragons Dogma might be in the works... 

I’ll definitely need to add Dragons Dogma to my cart! ? 

12 hours ago, hittheroadbucky said:

Aw really? That’s good then! Also another question about the game, is it a monthly subscription? So if I had the trial version and then bought the full game, I’d have to pay a membership fee on top of that? 1f914.png

Yep. The free trial period is for 21 days, it I recall, after which it costs around £30 for the three games and a £6.99 monthly subscription.

By the way, I've heard a lot of good things about Dragon's Dogma.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GarryKE said:

Yep. The free trial period is for 21 days, it I recall, after which it costs around £30 for the three games and a £6.99 monthly subscription.

By the way, I've heard a lot of good things about Dragon's Dogma.

Aw that’s not as expensive as I thought it would be so that’s a bonus! ? I’ve been watching some videos and I think I’ll give it a try 

17 minutes ago, hittheroadbucky said:

Aw that’s not as expensive as I thought it would be so that’s a bonus! ? I’ve been watching some videos and I think I’ll give it a try 

Awesome. I'm sure you'll love it :)

Join Moogle and I can offer you a hand whenever you need it!

• Like 1

I’ve just started greedfall myself. Feels like dragon age but in its own right! Can’t wait for the weekend so I can just sink myself into the world for a longer period than an hour here or there. 
Trophy list for it seems a little daunting but so far it’s a solid one. Something I needed to hit my RPG fix and if it’s still on sale I’d deffo grab it. £15 I got it for On the store 

• Like 1

if you are into square enix stuff you might want to try the star ocean games

if you are into jrpgs the tales of series might be something you like

if you like endlessly being able to level up you can try the sirliam (i think thats how its spelled lol) games (they are like pokemon but there is no level cap)

if you also enjoy near endless leveling up then there is mugen souls and mugen souls z on the ps3

if you like some gangster/mafia type stuff in japan then try the yakuza series

not sure if this counts but if you like farming/animal crossing give stardew valley a try

if you like coop then you can always give diablo 3 a try

I'd recommend Lost Dimension on the PS3. I found it a great game with a nice concept to it that is an enjoyable plat. It does take 2 playthroughs to do it but there is new content on the second playthrough (For a start, you're able to do the events for a character you can't in the first playthrough) and you do get some bonuses to make it smoother. 25 hours or so to plat if you do it in 2 playthroughs.

One thing though. If going for the plat then be aware that you need to get only traitors and have all bonds maxed (this is why you need two playthroughs as you can't max all of them out in 1. They carry over to the second playthrough) to fight the true final boss. If a character you still need to max out is a traitor then you're in trouble, however whoever is the traitor is set when you enter a new area after having eliminated the previous traitor so keep a backup in case you have to revert to it to stop someone you don't want being a traitor being a traitor. 

If you like turn-based RPGs I would recommend Earthlock, kind of a hidden gem. It is fun, cute, requires only one playthrough. On psn you can download for free avatars of the game's characters , too.

Here goes a great review made by Cornshaq (love this guy, better than IGN for sure XD).

PS.: The game has two versions. Firstly released as "Earthlock: Festival of Magic " and then re-released as simply "Earthlock". Basically it is the same game in most things, but the re-release is the version you want to pick, many cool improvements. Unless you wanna stack both as I did! They have a slightly different trophy list. More people need to play Earthlock. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GravityQueeen said:

If you like turn-based RPGs I would recommend Earthlock, kind of a hidden gem. It is fun, cute, requires only one playthrough. On psn you can download for free avatars of the game's characters , too.

Here goes a great review made by Cornshaq (love this guy, better than IGN for sure XD).

PS.: The game has two versions. Firstly released as "Earthlock: Festival of Magic " and then re-released as simply "Earthlock". Basically it is the same game in most things, but the re-release is the version you want to pick, many cool improvements. Unless you wanna stack both as I did! They have a slightly different trophy list. More people need to play Earthlock. 

Never heard of this game before but it looks amazing and im a sucker for turn-based games so i gotta check this out :)

• Like 1

- Dragon's Dogma is easily one of my favorite games EVER. 
- Dragon Age series (2 is my personal favorite, despite being objectively the worst)
- Kingdoms of Amalur, it came out around the same time as Skyrim if I remember correctly, it's getting remastered soon.

Despite being RPGs, games like Persona or Dragon Quest are definitelly not similar to Skyrim, i'd suggest Final Fantasy XV however.