Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021)

Ghost

The "Weapons & Traversal" trailer is almost completely reused footage from State of Play (2021) and other trailers. The "Planets and Exploration" trailer does the samething, but it plays around with a couple of changed angles. So those things doesn't reasonably increase any interest for those like me who have already been keeping up with the latest trailers. The "photomode" gif posted recently is also taken straight out of the State of Play btw.

Based on the promotion so far the best part about the game is still the tech first (adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, loading levels near-instantaneous, etc) and graphics second, as the 2016 remake had already seen the largest or second largest graphical overhaul since the PS3 games. While the graphics are still undeniably looking good and fine, it can definitely be pushed further, especially if there's been some notable downgrades since the first extended gameplay demo. Even Pixar movies have seen noticeable graphical improvements over the years.

inFAMOUS Second Son.

Spoiler

Another visually stylized game. Massive leap, visually, from the previous game. Was looking so good that it was easy to get super hyped over and theorize/believe it to be the greatest entry, especially since gameplay was also at the center. At this point the game is merely just the third installment in the series, as opposed to a 7th, 8th, etc. Also factoring in other variables like "Troy Baker as the voice of the MC, omg!", more colorful environments than just the typical city shades that everyone hates, etc. Game releases. It's decent, good, or maybe even great but still considered inferior. Turns out high/superior graphics and visual gameplay effects doesn't matter over story, character, and overall gameplay design, with inFAMOUS 2 remaining the most enjoyable and/or best game in the series going by consensus. The game still looks glorious on PS4 though, even compared to Marvel Spider-Man. None of the previous games can compete with it there.

There's been a number of inferior and/or disappointing series transitions into next-gen, including PS2 to PS3 and PS3 to PS4, so the information being provided has to at least match the new standard. Good looking, sounding, and feeling doesn't do it anymore on its own. Besides the story trailer (that I'll be using to get an idea of the story), I'll be on the lookout and waiting for more in-depth videos that cover unexplored or barely covered subjects. Solid gunplay isn't my concern, it's a variety of the other things, especially some of the dislikeable design choices in the (2016) remake that will return and/or influence things in Rift Apart

Right now one potential major gameplay disappointment, based on all four major gameplay videos pushed by the developers themselves, seems to be how disconnected the central rift pull and dimensional tears are from the core gameplay mechanics. There's a lot of pauses (waiting for the landing animation) and really awkward turning around moments after using it, foreshadowing that cancellations and seamless-transitional gameplay actions are impossible ?. . .

Edited by EcoShifter

Might as well complete the Zurkon Jr. video trilogy. The finale to Zurkon Jr.'s Almost Launch - "Story Overview"

---

Different from what I expected, but there it is.

Edited by EcoShifter

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, HusKy said:

Are the reviewers (and other early access people) required to hide the trophy list from their profile? Seems like it.

Yeah I think that's part of Sony's review embargo policy, they have to hide it until release day. I've heard the staff at Playstation Access talk during some streams about how they need to hide their trophy lists while playing games early.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is one of the most impressive next-gen games yet - but just how does the game really put the PlayStation 5 hardware through its paces? John Linneman talks to Insomniac's Core Technology Director Mike Fitzgerald to get the full lowdown on the game.

Edited by MossyOakRcn42