PS5 With disc or without?

waltdisneypixar

PS5 With disc or without?   

1,257 members have voted

1. 1. PS5 With disc or without?

• 2 weeks later...

"I dont have access to my digital games. I played for.

Playstation charged me for ps plus I turned off my auto pay so they couldn't but they still did. I attempted to call playstation but because of covid no one is at the call center, so I filed a claim for 34.99 with my bank. So they banned my account which is fine, but they put a lock on all my purchases digital games and movies. My ps4 disk ejector is broke I have a old ps4. They sent me a email saying my account is suspended due to chargeback until I pay 34.99. I try to pay it on my playstation that says my account is banned. So I couldn't pay it back. I spent 1000s of dollars on digital games and movies through playstation store and the won't allow me access to my games and movies. Playstation cant keep your property from you, they can stop your access to play online limited to certain features. I now am being forced to file a claim with my bank to get as much money back from my purchases I dont have access to. Theres no way to contact playstation. Service is horrible."

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/store.playstation.com

This guy wishes his entire collection was on disc ?

Edited by JediKnight_327

• 3 weeks later...

I love having the option for discs for special steelbook edition games or if I want to watch a 4K blue ray movie or just buying games in cases for display on a shelf. Having said option for either digital or physicals games means that I don't have to worry about not having one. The extra hundred or so dollars give or take is a worth while investment. 

PS: Its also confirmed that many backwards compatible games still require you to put in the disc into your PS5. I'm glad I made my choice when I did...

100% with disc. I couldn't be restricted to only buying my games from the PS Store. I like to shop around for best prices, buy pre-owned occasionally, trade or sell games when I'm done with them and also swap and borrow games with friends and family. Digital only wouldn't work with me.

Edited by FevreDreamer

I'll take the Digital Edition.

I've been thinking about this for a while. I really like physical copies, because they give me independence of any services. That's the main advantage of it and the way console games always have used to be: Put the game into console and start it. So naturally I would buy the "disc version".
But times have changed and as they give us a real choice now, I considered switching over to "digital only". I thought about this very pragmatically and I also critically questioned my own usage behavior:

1st: I don't own any PS4 game on disc and my PS3 games won't work = no heritage reasons for a disc drive.
2nd: I have a lot of movies on BD/DVD, but already use a dedicated player for that purpose = I don't need the PS5 for this.
3rd: Re-selling my games or buying used games are something I never did and never will do = disc drive not essential.
4th: I don't buy games right on release anymore, because I don't play them that soon anyway. So differences in prices are not that of a question for me as I can always wait for sales offers.
5th: I'm not a "real" collector. I buy games to play them and I don't have a showcase or something like that. All my games are kept in larger boxes (protected of whatever could harm them).
6th: There are only a very few games I really play again. I love to have the option to go back, but I don't make much use of it. Most of my games just go into the box after I finished them completely.
7th: I don't like slot loading drives (a stupid nerd reason, but it's like it is ?)

So the conclusion for myself is: I don't really need a disc drive. And it doesn't make sense to pay for something I don't need.

Of course I still see the cons of it. Things like licensing issues resulting in deleting music of GTA4 are awful. And what about availability? I mean, I never saw something being completely off, but theoretically it can happen.
But at the end, this is not a choice for life. It's not set into stone forever. If I don't like it and want to go back for a disc based console, I can still buy it. And I'm pretty sure there will be a newer model, so I can easily reconsider my choice if necessary ?.

With disc is the best way. It may be £100 less for the disc less version but you’ll be paying hundreds more in the long run. I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve bought a game for nearly half the price of the same game on the PSN store. Love having physical copies too so that’s another reason to get the disc version.

I'm also going for the disc version.

It will come in handy when buying 2nd-hand games or selling trash games (except Collector's Editions). Because look at the current prices for some of the upcoming games...

This way you will get a little cash-back when you're going to sell them after you got your platinum.