PS5 With disc or without?

waltdisneypixar

PS5 With disc or without?   

1,257 members have voted

1. 1. PS5 With disc or without?

15 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

Any money saved by buying the disc-less version will be lost after buying one or two games anyway. Digital games cost so much more.

What reality is this in? PSN deals are almost always outclassing any physical deals, anywhere.

• Like 2

It'll depend on the price difference if it's just something like a 50€ difference I'll probably go for Disk, if it's bigger I'll probably go for digital. For PS4 I only have 4 games that I have physically and the rest are all digital so I'm already used to not using physical games.

Plus the PS5 without the disk looks better to me. It looks a little weird with how the disk is at the side.

I love having discs and looking at the growth of my collection, but I dont have much space, so 99% of my games buys on the last 7 years were digital. But if the price of the disc version is not too expensive, I might go with it. It open up more opportunity, and I might have more physical space by then, who knowns.

Definitely getting disc.

As for the conversation on which games are cheaper (better sales), I have found a mix.  Physical sales tend to be better for standard games but if you want “Gold editions” with season pass content, digital is the way to go.  You can often get all content on sale for $10-20 digitally.  

That is what I typically do for games with a lot of DLC.  Wait until a big PSN sale and get the Gold edition.  Looking at you Ubisoft.  For example AC Origins and Odyssey have both been available with all content for $20-25 on the PSN store.  If you bought the regular disc and then the season pass, it would be more expensive.

EDIT - I don’t buy used.  Want my case and game in pristine condition so only buy off eBay if it is new (and cheaper than Amazon, etc.).

Edited by djb5f

Retail all the way. Plus you can use it as a 4K player if I remember correctly. And that's a huge advantage, cause streaming today still looks awful. Actually that's something I never got. We are all so desperate to see games in 4K and 60fps but when watching movies or shows it can look and sound like crap. Just as an example, Netflix gives you "Ultra HD" with a Bitrate of 11 to 20 Mbit/s while on disc it ranges from 50 to 100Mbit/s.

TLTR: Disc Version because of the option to finally sell my 4K-Bluray player.

there is no way i'd buy a discless version...

No disc means:

- no game rental, borrow, resale

- being completely dependent on PSN's server (once they shut down, your console is useless...)

- being completely dependent on playstation prices (PSN game are usually priced 70 euros, while most of the games can be bought physically for 55 euros on release date)

Even if the disk version is 200 euros more expansive, it will still he cheaper in the long run...

31 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

What reality is this in? PSN deals are almost always outclassing any physical deals, anywhere.

thats just completely wrong. 

- When a game is released, it is always 10 to 20 euros cheaper physically than on the PSN

- When a game gets a discount on the PSN, you can be sure that the game is at least 6 month old. So you'll be able to either find it new for cheaper, or find it in second hand for even cheaper.

- yes, from time to time, there is some obscure game that you might want that will get a -90% reduction. For that very specific case, PSN deals might be cheaper. But it is so rare...

Plus, you can't sell your PSN games.

Let's say i want to buy Resident Evil 3. It's now on sale for 40 euros on the PSN. I can find it new for 44 euros on amazon, and maybe 30 to 35 euros second hand.

So first off, if i buy it second hand, it will be 15 to 25% cheaper. but there's more i'll be able to sell it again for pretty much the price i paid.

result:

- bought on PSN: cost me 40 euros

- bought physically: cost me max 10 euros after resale

na, not ever will i buy a diskless console

• Like 3

I'm going discless and I think the price difference might end up bigger than most people assume. Sony makes more money on digital downlads on the PS store than through retailers, so I'm sure that will affect the price point a lot. I would not be surprised, if they are $100 or more apart. If they sell version with disc drive at breakeven, they could easily undercut it with a much cheaper ($150-$200 less) version, if they can save on the drive and retail cuts, while simultaneously trying to match the rumored "Xbox Lockheart" pricing.

Also I do think it's interesting, that probably everyone here streams movies, series and music from a discless device, yet some of you still refuse to go discless when it comes to games, even though it's absolutely the future. RIP Blockbuster, Network TV and Tower Records.

Edited by cam_wick
additional thoughts

1 hour ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Digital sales are still far more expensive when you consider the ability to rent or buy second hand then get most of that money back through trade or resale. Far, far cheaper to go physical, and easier for friends and family to borrow too.

I agree with you. But sadly digital will eventually take over sooner then later. Look at all the gaming stores closing down. Developers would prefer digital sales because how much more they'll make because gamers won't be able to borrow or resale physical copies.

• Like 1

Disc all the way.

1. I like to admire my collection

2. Brazil has potato internet

3. I agree that PSN has tons of good sales, but sometimes an AAA is just cheaper on disc. Bought both special editions of The Last of Us II and Tsushima on pre order for R$240 each, while on PSN they're priced at R$289. Cheaper and I get to have a neat steelbook.

Edited by kaltezhan

23 minutes ago, lesk8vaincra said:

there is no way i'd buy a discless version...

No disc means:

- no game rental, borrow, resale

- being completely dependent on PSN's server (once they shut down, your console is useless...)

- being completely dependent on playstation prices (PSN game are usually priced 70 euros, while most of the games can be bought physically for 55 euros on release date)

Even if the disk version is 200 euros more expansive, it will still he cheaper in the long run...

thats just completely wrong. 

- When a game is released, it is always 10 to 20 euros cheaper physically than on the PSN

- When a game gets a discount on the PSN, you can be sure that the game is at least 6 month old. So you'll be able to either find it new for cheaper, or find it in second hand for even cheaper.

- yes, from time to time, there is some obscure game that you might want that will get a -90% reduction. For that very specific case, PSN deals might be cheaper. But it is so rare...

Plus, you can't sell your PSN games.

Let's say i want to buy Resident Evil 3. It's now on sale for 40 euros on the PSN. I can find it new for 44 euros on amazon, and maybe 30 to 35 euros second hand.

So first off, if i buy it second hand, it will be 15 to 25% cheaper. but there's more i'll be able to sell it again for pretty much the price i paid.

result:

- bought on PSN: cost me 40 euros

- bought physically: cost me max 10 euros after resale

na, not ever will i buy a diskless console

The only valid argument you just made, is that you cannot rent or resale digital games, but even that isn't even completely true, since playing games through subscription services are for all intents and purposes renting. And even PS Plus is giving you free games every month.

The PSN Server is not shutting down within the PS4/PS5 life cylce and even if it did, you either download the games before that and have them. The disc version would be just as useless for games that require a connection to the PSN Server, like games as a service etc.

Every standard edition game is 60USD at release on the PSN Store, period. And physical versions only retail for less with subscription services like Amzon Prime etc., so you're paying for that sale up front. Otherwise they cost 60USD as well. PS Plus subscribers often get pre-order sales at 10% off as well, so same difference.

Most games, digital or physical don't go on sale for the first few months. People don't resell brand new games for that much less. If the game was just released 2 weeks ago, they'll still resell it fo 45-50USD. And a lot of highly reduced games are not "obscure". Right now you can get the AC Odyssey Ultimate edtion for 80% off on the PS store. Also a couple months ago, you could get The Division 2 for 2.99USD

Sure you can buy games second hand off eBay or Amazon, but then you have to order it, maybe even pay for shipping, wait 2-3 days, then install it. Instead it's just click and download, start playing when like 30-40% have installed, while the rest downloads in the background.

Either way though, you do you, but like I said aside from being able to resell games, there are zero advantages at this point. Just saying.

Just now, DF007gamer said:

I agree with you. But sadly digital will eventually take over sooner then later. Look at all the gaming stores closing down. Developers would prefer digital sales because how much more they'll make because gamers won't be able to borrow or resale physical copies.

Stores are just switching to online gradually, they will keep selling disc versions but there will be no more retail stores

Da One Wid Da Disc!

though, I bet a lots of people will gonna be hungry for a next gen console and get their hands on a ps5 one way or another and so they will gonna went with the cheaper option ( the digital edition ) and call it a day.

Edited by yellowwindow7