PS5 With disc or without?

waltdisneypixar

PS5 With disc or without?   

1,257 members have voted

1. 1. PS5 With disc or without?

Just now, DaivRules said:

Amazon and Wal-mart (not to ignore others, but the largest examples) are going away?

TBH local stores like Gamestop have already closed a lot. Amazon does not count as local retail stores since it mainly focuses on online services. Not sure about Target and Staples.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

TBH local stores like Gamestop have already closed a lot. Amazon does not count as local retail stores since it mainly focuses on online services. Not sure about Target and Staples.

Sure local brick and mortars have closed, but there are extraordinary amounts of physical sales beyond just some local stores like Gamestop and even if a local Gamestop closes, they still have an online store to present an even larger physical inventory that one physical location couldn't hold.

• Like 1

The only valid argument you just made, is that you cannot rent or resale digital games, but even that isn't even completely true, since playing games through subscription services are for all intents and purposes renting. And even PS Plus is giving you free games every month.

Paying 5 euros a month (or 3,5 euros a month if you buy your PS+ at the right time) to rent games is nothing. It's cheaper than a beer at the local bar. So yeah, that kind of price for digital renting is not a problem

The PSN Server is not shutting down within the PS4/PS5 life cylce and even if it did, you either download the games before that and have them. The disc version would be just as useless for games that require a connection to the PSN Server, like games as a service etc.

The PSN won't be shutting down while PS5 stays. But what about 20 or 30 years from now? 

There are lots of people that still play NES or SNES games with their original console. Do you really think you'll be able to do that with an online game library?

Because you most likely won't.

Every standard edition game is 60USD at release on the PSN Store, period. And physical versions only retail for less with subscription services like Amzon Prime etc., so you're paying for that sale up front. Otherwise they cost 60USD as well. PS Plus subscribers often get pre-order sales at 10% off as well, so same difference.

I just took the "futur release" category in the PSN:

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-06-12-a-17-21-04.p

10 euros cheaper

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-06-12-a-17-21-15.p

13 euros cheaper

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-06-12-a-17-22-25.p

11 euros cheaper

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-06-12-a-17-22-25.p

11 euros cheaper.

As you can see, amazon prices are always at least 15% cheaper than PSN. And no, it's not tied to ANY paid subscription. That just the standard price. And for most game, lots of store will offer a price lower than amazon of any other kind of discount (like my nearest store offers the last of us 2 for any PS4 you buy)

Most games, digital or physical don't go on sale for the first few months. People don't resell brand new games for that much less. If the game was just released 2 weeks ago, they'll still resell it fo 45-50USD. 

FF7 remake is 2 month old, but the price didnt really changed since a month (both new or second hand):

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-06-12-a-17-42-00.p

You can EASILY find it for 40 euros (by the way, it's 47 euros on amazon). You might get a change to find it for 30 euros (quite cheap, actually! nice!) So... That's easily 50% off the PSN price. 

Speaking about FF7, i bought it physically for 55 euros.

Sold it a month later for 45 euros.

In the end, i paid 10 euros to play that great game. Plus, i was able to buy it 8 days before its official release. So i paid way less than those who bought it digitally, but i could also play it way before them.

And a lot of highly reduced games are not "obscure". Right now you can get the AC Odyssey Ultimate edtion for 80% off on the PS store. Also a couple months ago, you could get The Division 2 for 2.99USD

The highly reduced games that are not obscure are the one that sells millions of copies and are quickly traded. They litterally flood the second hand store/website. 

I agree with you that The division 2 for 3 euros is a no brainer. But then again, i bought it for 5 euros at the pawn shop.

Same goes for AC Odissey, all AC games are quickly really cheap.

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-06-12-a-17-46-02.p

Sure you can buy games second hand off eBay or Amazon, but then you have to order it, maybe even pay for shipping, wait 2-3 days, then install it. Instead it's just click and download, start playing when like 30-40% have installed, while the rest downloads in the background.

So you are willing to wait 2-3 years to MAYBE get a great discount on a game rather than waiting 2-3 days for the shipping? Yeah, i don't get your logic there.Also, it would be even quicker for me to go to the store and buy a game than download 50gig through the PSN

Edited by lesk8vaincra
  • Like 4

I'm sticking with drives until the seemingly inevitable end, even though I do primarily play digital games. The increased focus on big-ass patches and install periods for disc-based games really soured me on physical releases this gen. Truth be told, I was already halfway out that door due to losing large parts of my collection of physical games, and the massive aesthetic ownslide in game packaging as a whole. PS5 could still turn that one around, but it'd be too late for me anyways.

Even considering this, and the quality-of-life downgrades the PS4 had from the PS3 as a home media center, the PS4 is still my go-to for other disc-based media, and the PS5 seems poised to render the 4 obsolete in this way. As much as I love the 4, I'm actually hoping that 5 will render it as obsolete as possible over time.

• Like 1

With disc. I always buy and sell games, I‘m not made of money and I don‘t profit from having old single player games I don’t Play anymore stuck in my account. Also I have a public library here where I got like 30% of my PS4 experiences from.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DF007gamer said:

I agree with you. But sadly digital will eventually take over sooner then later. Look at all the gaming stores closing down. Developers would prefer digital sales because how much more they'll make because gamers won't be able to borrow or resale physical copies.

True unfortunately. I’m glad CEX haven’t folded during these times though, I still have over £90 of credit with them.

Physical forever.

I will buy games on disc as long as it exists.

I like having a collection. I like having seeing all the cool (and not so cool) cover art.

If someone comes over, sometimes they'll see a game and go, "oh what is this, I've never seen it before" or someone will ask about one of the import games or CEs. Or maybe they see an older game and go, "oh I remember this, I used to play it a ton in college/high school."

And if I don't want a game, I can always sell it on eBay/Amazon for a little bit of money and give someone else a good deal.

• Like 1

When I get round to saving up for it (a long time) I'll be getting the disc version, as digital games are overpriced plus I like to have a physical copy, so if I finish it and won't play it again I can sell it and put the money towards another game or something else.

Edited by Jinxcendant-XIII

On 6/11/2020 at 10:59 PM, DaivRules said:

4k UHD BluRay Player, yeah, disc version. 

definitely!. a sony 4k uhd player will crap on that awful xbox one s i used for blu rays, that thing broke updating itself and got stuck in an update/boot loop lol.

6 hours ago, lesk8vaincra said:

So you are willing to wait 2-3 years to MAYBE get a great discount on a game rather than waiting 2-3 days for the shipping? Yeah, i don't get your logic there.Also, it would be even quicker for me to go to the store and buy a game than download 50gig through the PSN

You know, nobody is forcing you to buy the version without the disc drive. You reply a lot that you save lots of money with the disc drive version - good for you.

But some people don't care about that (I sure don't). I just want my games as fast as possible at the release and in my case that is only achievable via PlayStation store.

And it's definitely faster for me to download 50 GB than drive to a store and get the game (at least it will be again when they stop throttling the data transfer rate because of the pandemic).

To answer the thread question: I'm going to buy the PS5 version without the disc drive.

physical.

because it's cost effective and logical.

digital downloads from psn store are expensive, even if the games are years old.

i could wait several years and the price of the console would go down, aswould the price of gamesreleased this year (buying them on ebay), and i'd make alot of savings.

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 1

i feel like sony is only making this so they can have a reason to raise the price on the disc console. i can already imagine the moms at the stores trying to figure this one out. ive seen parents stare at the 12gb ps box in the past quite a few times trying to figure out what exactly they were looking at. imagine a parent who knows nothing about games buying a bunch of disc games and then a digital console for their kid and their kid opening their present just to realize none of the games work lol. im sure sony will inflate the price of having a drive by x2 more then the drive should be

Just found out from the DF video that the price of a UHD drive in a console amounts to nothing more than $20. Theory is, if Sony were to output a price difference between the two SKUs for at least $100, the underlying strategy would be to push users to buying software more often from the PS store (even though it's more expensive for the gamers that way) thereby increasing software revenue for Sony since the tithe publishers pay for digital sales are greater than physical.

17 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Amazon and Wal-mart (not to ignore others, but the largest examples) are going away?

Pretty sure he meant places like GameStop. Amazon isn’t really a retail store the way Walmart or Target are. It’s just warehouses and an online shop.

Edited by cam_wick