PS5 With disc or without?

waltdisneypixar

PS5 With disc or without?   

1,257 members have voted

1. 1. PS5 With disc or without?

Though I do buy a lot of digital games now, I still want the disc reader. Sometimes the retail version is the better deal... especially if you can get the game on disc for $20 (either second-hand or marked down by a retailer for whatever reason) when it's still $60 on PSN. No disc reader means kissing second-hand deals goodbye.

Take the Call of Duty games on PSN... many of these are old, yet still selling for MSRP.

I'd go without, I love me some backward compatibility, but that's why I'm buying a Series X. As for PS4, I have like 10 games on disc left, and of those there's Rock Band 4 and Disney Infinity 2 and 3 that have peripherals that likely won't be supported anyway, a couple of VR games that I'll sell whenever I eventually get around to throwing out my PS VR, not many disc games. 

The only thing I'd buy a PS5 for is Spider-Man and they were wise to drop an exclusive one, albeit a smaller one, day one. If the price is right, I'll get a PS5 disc free version with my Series X day one for Spidey, if the price is wrong, I can always wait and see if they'll put Miles' DLC on the PS4 version later... they said Resogun straight up couldn't be done on a PS3, and then they didn't just port it over to PS3, they made a Vita version as well that was just as competent. So while an exclusive Spidey game makes sense for next gen, if it lands on the PS4 I'll be content with skipping out the PS5 until Spider-Man 2 drops for real. 

The disc drive is a bigger issue on something like the Series X that's got so much invested in backward compatibility. As the PS5 can only play PS4, and a shiiiiiiitload of people have majority digital titles on PS4, I don't stand to lose all that much going all digital next gen, especially when all I want is the Spidey game and will probs just bum the girlfriend's PS+ to play some other stuff inbetween. With the Series X, the hundred or so 360 games I have on disc that are back compat would be a good loss to not have, but as for Xbox One games on disc, I have exactly zero as I finally traded THPS5 this morning for just shy of 20 bucks (bought it for 10 a good 4 years ago new). The PS4/Xbone gen, I and a lot of other people, went majority digital, so going 100% discless, provided it actually leads to a reasonable saving of at least $150 or so, is not all that bad of an idea to me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

Without, becuase it's not 2010 anymore and I have not got room for heaps of plastic boxes cluttering my house, needless wasted components in my console for a disc drive I won't use. I'm glad we have the option to go digital only.

I see alot of people here saying discs are cheaper and you are right. In buying digital less of my money goes to middle men (retailers / webshops etc) and more goes to Sony. I would rather help keep the company that builds this console and all the awesome studios they have rather than sending it to Amazon, but that's my 2 cents!

That’s fair, I’m not supporting Sony as much as you by buying second hand and trading in. That is by design though; since Sony instigated their new global alignment strategy which led to excessive censorship, I’m done supporting them. I’ll take advantage of their non censored games but give them as little money as possible.

• Like 2

I don't care if the digital one is $100 cheaper, I'll never buy a digital-only console. <_< Some games on PSN take forever (if not longer) to fall in price, I'd much rather get a used physical version for a fraction of the price (not to mention my shitty internet makes downloading games a huge hassle). Plus I really like building up my physical game collection, & I'm the type of person who believes you don't really own something unless you can physically touch it. :P

I've said this before, but if Sony does ever go digital-only, I'll switch to whatever console still supports physical media.

Also one of my main interests of the PS5 is it's backwards compatibility (since I don't know how much longer my PS4 will last), the digital console would make that pointless since the majority of my PS4 games are physical. ?

Edited by Masamune
  • Like 3

I used to love collecting game cases too.

Now I'm in my mid-30s and I ran out of room on shelves for all the NES, SNES, GameBoy, Genesis, Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, DS, 3DS, Vita, Wii, WiiU, and Switch cases.

Collecting things is all fun and games when you're young, but take into consideration that there's a chance that one day you'll either run out of space or you'll run out of give-a-shit. In either scenario, you're now stuck with over a thousand cases/boxes that are either going to end up on a landfill, having to be sold for pennies on the dollar, or in storage where they'll collect dust. I now only collect more classic systems and display the rarer games.

And, of course, if having your residence looking like a GameStop 24/7 is your thing then more power to you.

PS4 was all digital for me. PS5 will definitely be no different!  

Disc version. Always.

Also...

- Many disc games have exploits for easy trophies but digital versions may come patched

- Trophies can be obtained even after the game is pulled from the store if you get the disc e.g. some of the telltale games

- You can get resell value after you've got the platinum/100%

- Can pick up cheap pre-owned copies without waiting for a PS store sale

- Complete/GOTY edition discs are often cheaper than buying the DLC's from the store

- physical games are ALWAYS cheaper on launch (at least in the UK) and have a chance of arriving early

- Since the reduced cost of digital delivery being passed on to the consumer was a lie, you can feel good about keeping thousands of people in the retail and delivery sector employed by supporting physical media

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Alayaes said:

Also to a lot of others; deals. I said deals. PSN+ deals almost always outclass random deals in physical stores. Especially when you factor in the potential for rewards too if you utilize the proper cards.

Especially in the US.

In Europe digital sales are garbage and pretty infrequent, not to mention the fact that new games are 60€ physical and 70€ digital.

For older games you can get them used cheaper than PS store will ever sell them, even compared to US prices

I don't understand why in the world they would give you the option. If I am buying a system and I have a choice, why would I not pick the one with a disc drive? You are getting an added feature with no additional cost. So why would you not? Besides, there are tons of old school players who enjoy having a physical copy of the disc. The only time I ever buy a digital game is if I want to download it on more than one PlayStation and play it as the same time, i.e. Call of Duty. The biggest reason I will not buy digital games is the fact that I can not play them while offline. 

• Like 1

With, why limit myself for no reason? I doubt the price is gonna be THAT different.

There's just so many options with discs, you can buy used games, you can borrow a game from your friends, you could sell the games you finished. And you're not bouned to the PS Store prices. Not to mention that I'm a collector so I like having physical copies of games.

1 hour ago, Alayaes said:

I used to love collecting game cases too.

Now I'm in my mid-30s and I ran out of room on shelves for all the NES, SNES, GameBoy, Genesis, Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, DS, 3DS, Vita, Wii, WiiU, and Switch cases.

Collecting things is all fun and games when you're young, but take into consideration that there's a chance that one day you'll either run out of space or you'll run out of give-a-shit. In either scenario, you're now stuck with over a thousand cases/boxes that are either going to end up on a landfill, having to be sold for pennies on the dollar, or in storage where they'll collect dust. I now only collect more classic systems and display the rarer games.

And, of course, if having your residence looking like a GameStop 24/7 is your thing then more power to you.

PS4 was all digital for me. PS5 will definitely be no different!  

No, it won't look like a gamestop of you sell the games after you're done with them

5 hours ago, StressEater said:

I don't understand why in the world they would give you the option. If I am buying a system and I have a choice, why would I not pick the one with a disc drive? You are getting an added feature with no additional cost. So why would you not? Besides, there are tons of old school players who enjoy having a physical copy of the disc. The only time I ever buy a digital game is if I want to download it on more than one PlayStation and play it as the same time, i.e. Call of Duty. The biggest reason I will not buy digital games is the fact that I can not play them while offline. 

Because as you can see from this thread alone, there are people who actually consider getting the disc-less version; if the price is right. I'm sure Sony has done their research and the numbers clearly show people tend to choose digital over physical more and more. I believe it was already reported for Q1/2019 the digital sales were higher over the physical for Sony. And that was a year ago, by the time PS5 is out, the numbers are going to be looking better and better for digital.

Having a choice is always better for customers.

If it's a $50 price difference, then yeah, there's probably no point in getting the digital edition, unless you prefer the look of the digital edition, and already have a huge digital library.

But if that price difference is more like $100, then that might be something worth considering for some. Especially for people who are strapped for cash. But then again, if you're tight on cash, one should not be wasting it on a gaming console.

Although, I am buying digital more and more often, I plan to buy a PS5 with disc.I'll always want the option for physical media and my console is the main device my family uses for entertainment. I've been annoyed about the PS4 Pro not having the drive for Ultra HD Blu-Rays for a long time. I have a poor little underutilized Xbox One that only sees action when we want to watch a movie. I really want to just find it a forever home where it can belong to someone who will love and appreciate it and give it the time and attention it deserves. 

Edited by spacey_dweeb
  • Like 2