Deathloop - Announcement Trailer & Information

Undead Wolf

I tried looking, but I didn't see a thread for this one. This was one of my personal highlights from the PS5 reveal event. I love the concept! Did anyone else think it looked cool?

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/deathloop-coming-to-ps5-pc-this-holiday

Deathloop will launch for PlayStation 5 as a console exclusive alongside PC this holiday, publisher Bethesda Softworks and developer Arkane Studios announced.

Here is an overview of the game, via Bethesda Softworks:

About

Deathloop is an innovative first person shooter launching for PlayStation 5 and PC from Arkane Lyon, the award-winning studio behind the critically acclaimed Dishonored franchise. The studio’s new IP will continue Arkane’s signature gameplay design, challenging gamers to play their own way. As Colt, players are trapped in a time loop on the enigmatic island of Blackreef, doomed to repeat the same day for eternity. The only chance for escape is to break the loop by unearthing information and assassinating eight key targets before the day resets. However, lurking in the shadows is rival assassin Julianna, equipped with her own equally powerful abilities and weapons, on a mission to protect the loop by assassinating Colt, and restarting the cycle. Players can also choose to take control of Julianna, turning Deathloop into a deadly game of hunter-vs-hunted.

Key Features

• Signature Arkane Gameplay – Arkane’s reputation for unique immersive gameplay will allow players to choose their preferred playstyle, stealthily sneaking through levels or barreling into the fight, guns-blazing. Armed with a powerful roster of otherworldly powers, as well as an arsenal of savage weaponry, players will combine these deadly tools for takedowns that are as striking as they are devastating. By choosing their powers and weapons, players will fight to survive this deadly game of hunter vs hunted.
  • Exclusively for Next-Gen PlayStation 5  Deathloop is a new IP for a new generation, launching on console exclusively for PlayStation 5 and on PC. The game will leverage the console’s graphics to bring Arkane’s unique artistic vision to life like never before and will take advantage of new cutting-edge features, like haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, to make each encounter feel unique and impactful.
  • Arkane’s Single Player Gameplay Injected with Deadly Multiplayer  Deathloop is Arkane’s take on an assassination multiplayer experience, seamlessly blending single player gameplay with multiplayer drama. Players will experience the main story as Colt, hunting down targets across the island of Blackreef to break the loop and earn his freedom. Players can also choose to take control of rival assassin Julianna, sneaking into another player’s campaign to kill Colt and keep him imprisoned in the loop. The multiplayer experience is completely optional, and players can choose to have Julianna controlled by AI within their campaign.
  • Loops = Knowledge, Knowledge = Power – Each new loop in Deathloop is an opportunity to learn from the past and adapt. Finding clues and uncovering hints is key to taking out targets before the day resets. Discover relationships, learn schedules, and do whatever must be done to gain the necessary knowledge. Players will apply what they’ve learned in previous loops to try different paths, choose to sneak or attack, and devise other new strategies to eventually reach their targets. If at first you don’t succeed: die, die, again.
  • The Island of Blackreef – Paradise or Prison – Arkane is renowned for magnificently artistic worlds with multiple pathways and emergent gameplay. Deathloop will present a stunning, retro-future, 60s-inspired environment, that feels like a character within itself. While Blackreef may be a stylish wonderland, for Colt it is his prison, a world ruled by decadence where death has no meaning, and delinquents party forever while keeping him captive.

And here are some more details, via the PlayStation Blog:

It’s nighttime on Blackreef. Your current target: Aleksis Dorsey. Fortunately, the self-proclaimed “Alpha Wolf” is throwing an exclusive dinner party at his lavish mansion—and you aim to crash it. Welcome to Deathloop, Arkane Lyon’s new immersive first-person shooter coming to consoles exclusively for PlayStation 5 when it launches this holiday season. BLACKREEF will also be launching on PC at the same time. Trapped on an island stuck in a timeloop, you will fight, sneak, and sabotage your way past the members of the AEON Program—the island’s trigger-happy revelers who have put you on the top of their hitlist—on your mission to eliminate eight key targets in a single loop and end the “endless” cycle. But it won’t be easy, because you’ll also have to contend… with her.

Deathloop puts you in the role of Colt, a man with a unique problem. Every morning you wake up on the same beach with the same killer hangover, the subject of the same island-wide manhunt by the same entitled partyers. There’s only one way to free yourself from the loop, the island, and the cycle of slaughter: You’re gonna have to take out the eight people responsible for maintaining the loop. You’ve got to accomplish this nigh-impossible task before midnight, so you better get creative.

Each repeated day is an opportunity to learn, adapt, and solve the puzzle of Deathloop. It’s up to you how you go about this. You can tackle each loop at your own pace, and in any order you choose – selecting your missions, targets and explorations as you see fit. Arm yourself with a variety of devastating weapons and supernatural abilities to survive the AEON Program and break the loop. Take the knowledge you gain from each day to try different paths and playstyles as you navigate the treacherous backstreets and hidden lairs of Blackreef. Stay on your toes, rework your strategies and push forward, all the while compiling clues as to the inner workings of the island. And remember: If at first you don’t succeed… die, die again.

But the island’s inhabitants aren’t the only obstacles in your path. Deathloop is Arkane Lyon’s innovative take on an immersive multiplayer experience; a story-driven first-person shooter where your main antagonist might be another player. You’ll experience Deathloop’s main story as Colt, hunting down targets across the island as you try to break the loop. Meanwhile, another player might temporarily enter your story in the role of Julianna, a rival assassin with her own singular goal: Protect the loop by eliminating Colt. Of course, if you’re feeling particularly villainous, you can slip into the shoes of Julianna yourself, jumping into someone else’s Blackreef for a tense game of cat-and-mouse. (The multiplayer invasion element is completely optional, so you toggle it on or off as desired.)

For Game Director Dinga Bakaba, Arkane’s goal is to blur the line between single- and multiplayer. “The focus is on the campaign and the story,” he says. “And that campaign can be played with Julianna controlled only by the AI, or—and this is our recommendation – by a mix of A.I. and random players to experience the range of unpredictability and chaos that Julianna is capable of.”

Exclusively on Consoles for PlayStation 5

With stunning and stylish environments, memorable combat encounters, and the freedom to tackle each mission at any pace and with any approach you choose, this is Arkane like you’ve never seen (or felt) it before, built with next-gen in mind. Deathloop is being developed for a new generation of hardware and will launch on console exclusively for PlayStation 5. Leveraging the PS5’s cutting-edge graphics and technology, like haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, Deathloop will drop you into a spectacular and immersive world that only Arkane could provide.

• Like 4

The premise seems interesting and the whole thing about loops makes me wonder if you can set things up for a next loop. I also wonder how it will work with the multi-player aspect, like it would be cool if you could put a weapon in a specific spot just in case the enemy player comes in and so on.

This one bothers me. Not that it doesn't look fun, but other than the premise...it's practically a Dishonored ripoff. 

Bethesda said awhile ago that they put Dishonored on hold indefinitely. So they put the game on hold, so that they and Arkane Studios could make another game using practically the same gameplay elements? 

Sorry...I just really want a Dishonored 3 and seeing this kind of does my head in on their decision making. I'm not really against it...but it saddens me. :(

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Totally fine with the delay, Arkane are yet to let me down and their games always have amazing polish to them so this should be no different. Deathloop has been my most anticipated game since it got revealed at E3 a couple of years ago. Don't mind waiting a little longer.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

Arkane has announced that Deathloop has been delayed to Q2 2021

I think, at this point in my life, I've come to expect every single game to get delayed. And when they aren't delayed, I consider that as a bonus. :popcorn:

Edited by zizimonster

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Bethesda Softworks? Launching on PS5? Could this be good news for future Bethesda launches? TES, Fallout etc. Hopefully this is an indication that Bethesda titles will not be Xbox exclusives despite the company now being owned by Microsoft. 

This deal between sony n bethesda for deathloop was in place b4 microsoft bought them so yes this title will be on ps5. Anything new from Bethesda will be handled on a case by case basis as per Phil Spencer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MsVelvet said:

This deal between sony n bethesda for deathloop was in place b4 microsoft bought them so yes this title will be on ps5. Anything new from Bethesda will be handled on a case by case basis as per Phil Spencer.

I am pretty sure all Elder scrolls and maybe wolfenstein and fallout(maybe they will be timed exclusive tho) will allways still be Playstation, to huge playerbase. However games like evil within, prey , dishonered and rest will be xbox prob?

Edited by DividedByMankind

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2020 at 1:04 AM, DividedByMankind said:

I am pretty sure all Elder scrolls and maybe wolfenstein and fallout(maybe they will be timed exclusive tho) will allways still be Playstation, to huge playerbase. However games like evil within, prey , dishonered and rest will be xbox prob1f44d.png

Wishful thinking. MS will easily forgo the few millions of sales on PS software to to sell millions of consoles/GamePass subscriptions.

Super excited for this game when it was announced, I'll buy it on PS5 even though I plan to also get it for the Series X.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Deathloop appears in my PS+ game library on the website. I've preordered it, but could it also be a PS+ game at launch? Seems strange. Most of the PS+ games at launch in my recent memory have not been eligible for preorder. I'd add a screen capture of what I'm seeing, but I can't figure out how.

47 minutes ago, droppingtherock said:

Deathloop appears in my PS+ game library on the website. I've preordered it, but could it also be a PS+ game at launch? Seems strange. Most of the PS+ games at launch in my recent memory have not been eligible for preorder. I'd add a screen capture of what I'm seeing, but I can't figure out how.

I wouldn't complain if it were free on PS+ at launch, but I find it extremely unlikely.

• Like 1

Deathloop has been pushed back. Got this email from Sony today. Preorders will be cancelled unless you opt in to keep it:

---

Hello droppingtherock, 

Your pre-order of Deathloop has a new release date and will now be available on or before September 14th, 2021. 

If you would like to keep your order, please visit the following site and submit your request to fulfill your order on the actual date.

(Link omitted)

If we don't hear from you by 11:59 PM PST on May 2nd, 2021, your order will be cancelled and your money will be refunded. 

Thanks,
PlayStation Store