Warner bros. Gaming division could be for sale.

Vergil

• AT&T is considering selling its Warner Bros. gaming division for about $4 billion, sources say.
  • Take-Two Interactive, Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard have all expressed interest in buying the unit, which owns titles including “Mortal Kombat” and “Harry Potter: Wizards Unite”
  • AT&T is looking at divesting assets to service its almost $200 billion in debt. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/12/att-seeks-sale-for-warner-gaming-unit-could-fetch-4-billion.html

Edited by Vergil

Well watch out for Mortal Kombat X if EA takes over their gaming division, they have a terrible track record of maintaining the functions of timed online events and the rarest trophies of MKX rely on timed online functions working correctly.

24 minutes ago, Sergen said:

Well watch out for Mortal Kombat X if EA takes over their gaming division, they have a terrible track record of maintaining the functions of timed online events and the rarest trophies of MKX rely on timed online functions working correctly.

Maybe no more Injustice as well. 

1 minute ago, Vergil said:

Maybe no more Injustice as well. 

The thing I was thinking about this is that Warner Bros owns DC but DC isn’t being sold in this situation. In that case I’d say that at the very least any content for Injustice and the Arkham games will probably get delisted and DCUO’s servers would probably be shutting down. 

30 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

So this has the potential to affect Injustice 1 & 2, MK X and XI, Arkham, and LotR games? Best not wait on any of those online trophies

I don't think MK11 would be at risk because it's solely because of the MK series that these companies would like to acquire Warner Bros games, but the rest of the games are probably at risk of a server shutdown due to not being very relevant anymore, you can add Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War to that list of risky games if this shit happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

I don't think MK11 would be at risk because it's solely because of the MK series that these companies would like to acquire Warner Bros games, but the rest of the games are probably at risk of a server shutdown due to not being very relevant anymore, you can add Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War to that list of risky games if this shit happens.

I would be inclined to agree with you, but we cant really predict what kind of issues (even if temporary) might arise from any type of server transfer.

On the bright side, this a pretty good time frame for a potential warning. On the shitty side - this could be a sizable headache for anyone caught unaware

Edited by AJ_-_808

20 minutes ago, DemonicDraco said:

Uck.. hope they dont sell it.. wonder why they'd wanna.. surely it is profitable and wb owns so many ips to work with...

at&t bought Time Warner and took on 100s of billions in debt to do so because they wanted TWs internet infrastructure and some of their TV and movie content, not their video game division. They will piecemeal out TW and try to recoup their purchase price and this is a decent chunk that can fetch a good amount of money for while video games are in the news with the new systems coming soon. 

4 hours ago, HellcoreFire said:

Hope Sony is smart enough to buy them.

I doubt that. First of 4 billions is alot of money. While these games sell good. Its not like it sells like Cod, Fifa or Battlefield level to invest on. 

24 minutes ago, Vergil said:

I doubt that. First of 4 billions is alot of money. While these games sell good. Its not like it sells like Cod, Fifa or Battlefield level to invest on. 

Turning these games into exclusives won't sell more consoles especially with a new one around the corner? I think you understimate a fan's or gamer's ability to throw money.

58 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

Turning these games into exclusives won't sell more consoles especially with a new one around the corner? I think you understimate a fan's or gamer's ability to throw money.

Maybe. But a game with Batman i don't think anyone will get. WB still owns that since its part of DC. At least thats what i believe. 

Also Sony aquired Insomniac games not long ago. Which they paid 2 billions for i think. And ps5 is just around the corner. Which they will most likely sell at lost. I believe Sony is quite busy. But who knows, time will tell i guess 

Edit:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/2/10/21131899/sony-purchase-acquisition-insomniac-games-2019-2020-spider-man-sunset-overdrive-ratchet-clank

Should have checked info first lol

Edited by Vergil

I wonder whats gonna happen to the lego games since travelers tales/tt games will be included in the deal.
Pretth much all the ips they worked on have either come from wb or disney owned properties. And if at&t stupidly sells its gaming division(i dont care what some idiot shareholder or ceo says. Dc characters are a sacred cow and them getting rid of dc would be like disney selling off mickey mouse or viacom selling spongebob and is gonna hurt them in the long run) pretty much cuts off or significantly makes harder to aquire pretty much half thier pool of potential ips to work with.And to top that off lego could possably pull the license once this goes through depending on who buys them leaving travelers tales to have to do something else for a change. But on the flipside it would be interesting to see them develop something entirely original after almost 2 decades of developing nothing but lego(maybe a sonic 3d blast 2 or haven call of the king sequel or something)

13 hours ago, Sergen said:

If Sony buys them, all the fears people have regarding trophies for these games will become a reality. 

11 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Sony buying them would be the worst result. The first step would be the decomissioning of the servers within months of acquisition, and then like they do with most of their good IPs: kill them off and make no more instalments. 

Ok, let Microsoft buy them then. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter to me anyway. I just said the first big company with the money to do it that came to my head.