How do you play free choice games?

I was curious as Im playing Detroit right now, but this question can apply to all games that give you choices on the actions you take. When you play the game, do you make decisions based on how you personally would act in that scenario, or do you make the decision based on how you think the character your playing as would make the decision? I've always struggled when playing games like this, because sometimes I do what I think is right, and some other times I will do what i think my character would do. How do you guys play free choice games? I like playing games like Detroit and Beyond two souls, but I always think about this whenever I have to make a decision in the game. Let me know what you think. 

I've been a GM/DM for RPG's for the better part of the decade. I cannot put myself into a game anymore, it's always either trying to get into the shoes of the protagonist and behave as consistently with the character as possible, or come up with a persona and play that out.

I have a couple of default personas for my first playthrough of a game. In D&D terms, they're usually chaotic neutral or chaotic good. I rarely butcher people for the fun of it with those characters, mostly because letting people live usually reveals the most content of the game. That's a strange meta in ''your choices matters'' type of games, that being a good sport yields the biggest rewards.

In a nutshell, if I don't know whether I'll play a game twice, I try to maximize the content I get to see

I do it based on what I think is the best choice or what I think the character would do. Generally I avoid making the evil or bad choices because sometimes you wind up being straight up mean to characters who don't even deserve it and it makes me feel bad.

Edited by Redgrave

• 2 weeks later...