Digital PS4 games on PS5?

LoveInHell

I am thinking to pre-order the digital PS5 since I don’t buy anything on disc. Can I fully play my PS4 library on the PS5? 

I read this article and it says the PS5 will only have about 100 titles from the PS4 playable on the PS5 so I am a bit confused. It also says the PS5 will add more titles along the way.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5-backwards-compatibility-ps4-compatible-playstation-6300

6 minutes ago, Cobby said:

They haven't confirmed anything.. Sony's being Sony and being vague as fuck,so when something doesn't work it doesn't bite them in the ass.

Yeah its really confusing. I want to pre-order asap cause the stores here already say they don’t know how much stock they will get so it isn’t even guaranteed everyone will get the console on release. They also say the first person who pre-ordered on the list will be contacted first. So I just want to do this asap but this digital library stuff is holding me back.

What they more or less said it was that the 100 most played titles would be compatible on ps5 by launch, sames goes for most recent games ( games that launch from may-june onwards I think).

Also they said that the list of ps4 games compatible playable on ps5 would grew with time.

But yeah still quite a vague answer from sony, that we don't know the true capacity or long term capacity of compatibility from ps4 to ps5

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wolf_D_Flame said:

What they more or less said it was that the 100 most played titles would be compatible on ps5 by launch, sames goes for most recent games ( games that launch from may-june onwards I think).

Also they said that the list of ps4 games compatible playable on ps5 would grew with time.

But yeah still quite a vague answer from sony, that we don't know the true capacity or long term capacity of compatibility from ps4 to ps5

This is a bit annoying, lol. My setup isn’t exactly the kind of setup you can easily keep changing the console, I’d have to move my desk and struggle each time when I want to play PS4 or PS5. Argh, these unanswered questions.

7 minutes ago, TugaSonic said:

What they said was they had to test each game to ensure they worked without any issues on "Boosted Mode" since the games would run on higher resolutions and/or framerate and that could break them. And when that statement was given, on 18th March, they had only tested the top 100 PS4 games (ranked by play time) at the time.

There's massive confusion about PS4 compatibility because whenever Sony talk about backward compatibility they always have to throw a statement about Boost Mode so people don't know if it's 100% compatible without using boost mode or not. Cerny said in the first PS5 presentation (the one that was for GDC and I left the link in the spoiler below with a timemark for those that want to watch/replay it) that the GPU was backward compatible with PS4 games and then proceeded to state how massive the boost was and that they expected almost all the PS4 games to be playable at launch.

Reveal hidden contents

Cerny talks about backwards compatibility around the 27:05 mark.

I just watched it, that sounds a lot better than what I’ve been reading. Hopefully they will give us another update on PS4 compatibility soon.

• Like 1

I've read that a "majority of titles" will be available at launch. At the end of the recent PS5 presentation, they also teased at the importance of moving your game from one generation to the next so I think full backwards compatibility should be expected at some point.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I've read that a "majority of titles" will be available at launch. At the end of the recent PS5 presentation, they also teased at the importance of moving your game from one generation to the next so I think full backwards compatibility should be expected at some point.

That’s really good! So this made me decide to pre-order it. Can’t wait to get my hands on that sexy beast. ?

Just now, LoveInHell said:

That’s really good! So this made me decide to pre-order it. Can’t wait to get my hands on that sexy beast. 1f60d.png

Let's just hope that they keep their promise!

Here's my source btw so no one thinks I'm making stuff up. Straight from the horse's mouth. Just read the update at the top...

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

They haven’t revealed numbers or titles yet, but based on what Mark Cerny said and that the custom chips fully contain all PS4 function, I’m only expecting a handful (probably less than 20) PS4 titles that will not work in PS5 and I’m pretty sure 95% will work in boosted mode.

Yet enhanced GTA V on PS5 was already announced for second half of 2021, which begs the question will current PS4 game be available as back-compat title right at the new console launch in 2020? Or should we wait till 2021? Will it be the only case, or other publishers might follow the suit and would try to re-package PS4 games and sell once again on PS5 instead of allowing to play them through back-compat mode?

Edited by Se7en
typo

1 hour ago, Se7en said:

Yet enhanced GTA V on PS5 was already announced for second half of 2021, which begs the question will current PS4 game be available as back-compat title right at the new console launch in 2020? Or should we wait till 2021? Will it be the only case, or other publishers might follow the suit and would try to re-package PS4 games and sell once again on PS5 instead of allowing to play them through back-compat mode?

The PS5 version of GTA V is called Extended probably because it has PS5 exclusive content, not because GTA V can’t run on PS5. 

As I said before, the only reason to release a PS5 version of a PS4 game will be for exclusive PS5 content. 

• Like 2

The way i understood it was that only 100 titles will work with the boost feature enabled at launch. All other PS4 games will work normally without boost mod. But we wont know for certain until Sony announces it or the consoles releases.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just shoving a Ps4 game disc in and every game will work perfectly. It's going to take time for the most games to work perfectly if at all imho. And more have to do with dev willing to put time to test their games for smoothness. Some game codes just aren't written for other consoles.

6 minutes ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Some game codes just aren't written for other consoles.

The great thing about the custom chip in the PS5 is that it actually has all the same functions of the chip in the PS4. As was said in the Road to PS5, you can actually keep the same PS4 code and it’ll run on the PS5, you don’t need to change anything. 

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

The great thing about the custom chip in the PS5 is that it actually has all the same functions of the chip in the PS4. As was said in the Road to PS5, you can actually keep the same PS4 code and it’ll run on the PS5, you don’t need to change anything. 

Oh that's great to hear. Then there shouldn't be much hiccups. I guess still mostly precautions. Just like name change, every purchase and games had been working fine for me.

4 minutes ago, BCarsonElite said:

Huh...so all these super obscure indie games I just downloaded won't be on PS5 for a damn long time if ever

Why not? The PS5 can run all PS4 code just fine. It’s if the code can take advantage of the PS5 features like fast load times that could be up to how the (Indie or otherwise) developer coded it. 

• Like 1

If the PS5 is going to have full PS4 backwards compatibility, I hope we'll be able to transfer our save files from the PS4 to the PS5 and that we won't have to start our games over from the beginning because I won't use my PS4 anymore if I can play every PS4 game I own on the PS5.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DaivRules said:

The PS5 version of GTA V is called Extended probably because it has PS5 exclusive content, not because GTA V can’t run on PS5.

There is not a word about any exclusive content for GTA V on PS5 in official announcement:

The new generation versions of GTAV will feature a range of technical improvements, visual upgrades and performance enhancements to take full advantage of the latest hardware, making the game more beautiful and more responsive than ever. — https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61603/Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Coming-to-New-Generation-Consoles-in-2021

If you refer to further statement — GTA Online will continue on to the new generation with more new updates including additional GTA Online content exclusive to the new consoles and PC. — that is actually akin to GTA Online being constantly updated on PS4 but not anymore on PS3 situation.

This is reasonable to encourage online players to migrate on a more powerful and modern hardware and technically improved game to continue playing online with future updates. Just doesn’t warrant excluding everyone else with PS4 version of GTA V from back-compat program. And we still don’t have sure confirmation, can or will PS4 version of GTA V be playable on PS5 at all. So, my point is it’s too early yet to predict numbers or percentages of PS4 games (digital or physical) available and playable on PS5.

Edited by Se7en