This game makes my console shut down

Johnytomm

I just started Mafia 2 to play through the DLC's and sell the complete edition afterwards. Started Joe's Adventures, got to the ice lake part and my console shut off. Turned it back on, I loaded my save in that same part and it happened again. On the 3rd time it happened i decided to delete my save and play from the beginning. Game worked good, got to the ice part and it shut my console off once again. What the fuck is this? I've never had an issue like this with any other game.

A full console shut off? I've never heard that before at all and searching through the internet I can't find anything else on it. Are you sure it isn't you a wiring issue? Like is your power cable hanging out of the ps4 itself or power source? Also when it turns back on is it giving you that message telling you not to unplug a console otherwise you'll risk corrupting the hard drive?

4 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

A full console shut off? I've never heard that before at all and searching through the internet I can't find anything else on it. Are you sure it isn't you a wiring issue? Like is your power cable hanging out of the ps4 itself or power source? Also when it turns back on is it giving you that message telling you not to unplug a console otherwise you'll risk corrupting the hard drive?

It does give me that message, i'm playing on the ps3 and i've checked all the cables inside for possible connection issues. I've turned on Red Dead Redemption and GTA V to check how my console handles much more demanding games and nothing like that is happening. My copy of mafia also looks scratchless

I forget if it's possible on disk, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game fresh. Maybe it didn't install correctly?

You can also try and see if it could be your hard drive. I remember I had trouble with hard freezes on modern warfare 3 and then when I installed a new hard drive it "magically" stopped. If you don't want to reformat or buy a new one you can see if you try installing games until either, your hard drive fills, or it gives you an error message. If you have an error message, look up the code online to see if it's a hard drive corruption error and not a normal installation error. If it fills it could be a game/disk issue.

Sorry I know this isn't really a help, it's just what I did when my game was being a problem.

I had a very similar issue but with a different game (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance). Apparently it’s an overheating issue or something. The only solution for me was to play the game on my spare PS3 and even that still gave me a few problems (audio would cut out at random times and it wouldn’t allow me to progress any further).

What’s strange is that, like you, I can play other very demanding games for long periods of time without any issues whatsoever (I’ve put plenty of hours into GTAV on my original PS3 since then and haven’t had any hiccups)

2 hours ago, GraniteSnake said:

I had a very similar issue but with a different game (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance). Apparently it’s an overheating issue or something. The only solution for me was to play the game on my spare PS3 and even that still gave me a few problems (audio would cut out at random times and it wouldn’t allow me to progress any further).

What’s strange is that, like you, I can play other very demanding games for long periods of time without any issues whatsoever (I’ve put plenty of hours into GTAV on my original PS3 since then and haven’t had any hiccups)

Very, very weird. I'm not gonna kill my ps3, I'll just wait to play the game until i can afford a slim then

3 hours ago, Bahraini_carguy said:

Sounds like some kind of "Yellow Light of Death" problem. It just so happened that i experienced similar thing today, with my PS3 suddenly shutting down during Chapter 3 twice for no reason which's worrying. The odd thing is that it didn't happen since then...yet.

Yep, I would have this problem but it only seemed to happen with Fight Night Champion.  It got the YLOD shortly thereafter.